GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
You doubled the volume? But what's the length? Get your E an Uglies book for gas line.

I'm glad that you guys like your snorkels, but put down the rose colored glasses before newbs click the thread.
Oh, it's much longer! LOL

I see while I was writing my reply, you edited your response to this thread to take a more confrontational tone. NEAT! :laughing:

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
You doubled the volume? But what's the length? Get your E an Uglies book for gas line. Even at double the diameter, it's rough on an engine. I'd recommend checking carefully on a dyno, before towing or hauling.

I'm glad that you guys like your snorkels, but put down the rose colored glasses before newbs click the thread.
Oh, and it tows great! At least if I have a screw up on the boat ramp, I might still be able to drive out of the lake? HAHAHA

Attachments

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I love how people take such a negative stance on the snorkels, post proof how they don't work or aren't necessary, question their use on modern vehicles, etc...

...but they've been in use for decades and are proven! Just saying!

Now, can I prove it has worked on my truck? No, not really. The only way would be to try to run a Ranger through a water crossing with and then without it to see if one did better than the other, I guess.

Agent_Outside

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ryan
Member #

I have an aftermarket aluminum plate front bumper and the fenders liners needed to be cut way back in the front when installing it. The factory air box has a big wide open hole inside the fender liner that is now much more exposed. Driving up to the cabin after installing it the dirt road was snowed in so bad that a neighbor cut his fence in 2 places so the couple people further down could drive the inside of the fence line in the field for 1/4 mile to get past the snow drifts. It was super sloppy mud, about 5” deep based on the ruts left behind. I drove though it to get in, and again to get back out. I was conscious of the new added exposure so I checked the air box and found a bunch of mud in the bottom of it and about 1/4 of the filter was blocked up, I can only assume because the fender liners are trimmed and much more open. That was my motivation to do a snorkel.

Attachments

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The deepest fording I’ve done was about 30” and that was many years ago. Any deeper than that we will find another way to cross. I don’t run in packs, but when I do run with 2 or 3 others we each stay way back from another so the dust has either settled or blown away. Keeping distance doesn’t impair our vision nor is anyone changing out air cleaners while touring. There are certain other rules that I abide when we tour in order to continue our trek and to return home without breakdown or driver error. Failure is not an option. ( getting stuck isn’t considered a failure, we’ve had to break out the recovery gear on multiple occasions) Because of my personal rules we’ve never had a failure on any driving while off pavement nor has any family members when they are with us in their vehicles. A snorkel just isn’t necessary for touring in N America. If we lived in Australia, then my vehicle would be modified a bit, not because of “ wants” but because the environment would necessitate that my personal touring rules would change. You’re asking for advice about snorkels hints that you are indeed a pragmatist. So my advice would be, to you, no, don’t waste your money on bling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surfscottydog

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I did a DIY cowl intake on my XJ. Kept the stock airbox and the better filtering stock style paper element but also moved the intake from behind the headlight to the base of the windshield. Numbers pulled from OBD2 XJs show a 90 degree drop in intake temps during the summer time at speed. The base of the windshield on an XJ is a high pressure area so air is being forced into the cowl area when you're going down the road.

This setup also doesn't have the noise that moving the filter into the cowling does. I know this is on an XJ but maybe there's something similar out there for a Tacoma.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
One thing you should consider is where the original intake is situated. Many newer vehicles have the intake in vulnerable positions, usually sacrificing practicality for style.
If the intake is behind the bumper, behind the grille or in the wheel arch, it will be a lot more susceptible to picking up water or dust than if it is on top of the engine.

A lot of Overlanding vehicles have snorkels in Australia because they are diesel. As these engines have much higher compression than their gasoline counterparts the damage water in the intake can do is significantly greater. The engines are also usually more expensive to repair or replace.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Aaron_a4250d

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lawrence
Member #

So I’m thinking of adding a snorkel to my Tacoma. Not for water crossing but for the supposed benefits of cold air induction. They say the engine runs better, better mileage and maybe increased horse power. Anyone have a snorkel that can attest to these attributes? Any mechanics want to chime in? All the help I can get would be appreciated. Thanks
Just added one to my GX470

Attachments

Reactions: danwyandt

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I don't like snorkels. I am also generally very conservative with my rig, especially when away from home. Things happen and poor decisions can be made. While in Utah last year this happened in my snorkel-less land cruiser. Yeah, that is water coming over the hood. Luckily the only thing to come from this was a few drops of water in the airbox.
1684511963998.png

Needless to say, that was too close for comfort. I installed the least obnoxious snorkel I could find as soon as I got home. If a $100 plastic pipe can help get me home vs. stranding me it's money well spent.
1684512041973.png

To bring this full circle back to the original post. I have regularly observed my intake air temperature for years. Adding the snorkel DID NOT reduce the incoming air temperature in the intake or improve drivability in any way. The snorkel does create some intake noise that is especially noticeable with the windows down.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I don't like snorkels. I am also generally very conservative with my rig, especially when away from home. Things happen and poor decisions can be made. While in Utah last year this happened in my snorkel-less land cruiser. Yeah, that is water coming over the hood. Luckily the only thing to come from this was a few drops of water in the airbox.
View attachment 258200

Needless to say, that was too close for comfort. I installed the least obnoxious snorkel I could find as soon as I got home. If a $100 plastic pipe can help get me home vs. stranding me it's money well spent.
View attachment 258201

To bring this full circle back to the original post. I have regularly observed my intake air temperature for years. Adding the snorkel DID NOT reduce the incoming air temperature in the intake or improve drivability in any way. The snorkel does create some intake noise that is especially noticeable with the windows down.
The changes in IAT with or without a snorkel vary by model of vehicle and driving conditions. I run anywhere from 8-20^ above OAT's with mine. I run a precleaner and the air filter is still like new after almost 2 years. Many ECU's have a timing/IAT table, retarding timing as intake temps increase. Providing cool clean air is free HP.