Snorkel in winter

• HTML tutorial

ScottVinson1766

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Parker, CO
Member #

Quick question for anyone running a snorkel in snow country. I put a safari snorkel on my Tacoma and am curious what people are doing to keep snow out of it while it has to sit parked outside in a storm. I understand I can turn ram around while driving, just worried about while it's outside while I'm at work. TIA.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Could always tie a grocery bag over it if you don't want to turn the top. Just don't forget to take it off when you leave! I have never had an issue by turning the top of mine though.

Reactions: ScottVinson1766

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
It's a fair question. I have to say I have never heard of any issues from snow accumulation while sitting. Anecdotally, this has not been a topic of discussion as far as I could find but you might search other forums, particular to your car.
One way to check to see if running your scoop facing forward in a snow storm is, just after driving, pull into a safe place and see if you have any moisture accumulation on your air filter. Then turn the scoop around and see if it improves.
I'll bet you don't need to do it but I'm not a big fan of snorkels or cold air intake for that matter. Too much OEM blood in my system.
Post back up to share what you find.

Reactions: ScottVinson1766

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Running mine for 5 or 6 years now and a few heavy storms without any problems (same with rain).

Maybe a bit wet in the bottom of the box on the entry side underneath the filter, but filter always seemed dry and nothing above the filter on the intake side.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
This is something I hadn't ever considered... how bad would the snow have to be blowing for your snorkel to accumulate all that much? Especially if you're worried about when you're parked?