SnoMaster vs National Luna comparison

• HTML tutorial

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Pulling the trigger this week on a Snomaster or Nat'l Luna 40L-50L fridge. Have a JK with intention to build out a base plate w/ Eezi fridge slide w/ fabricated drawers along side or removing the sub and doing a complete Goose Gear blowout. Any recs/input/advice on the snomaster vs. Nat'l Luna? Price is one thing but anything else? we're novices but this will hold both food for family of 3 for a month or so and meds for our lil guy. So its an important piece of gear for our family. thx!

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

I can't provide any input, but looking forward to hearing what you go with, and your experience with it.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
SnoMaster is making a big push in the US Market. Lots of vendors at the Expo had SnoMaster refrigerators in their booths. There are some positive reviews of the SnoMaster in that size. National Luna are known to be the most energy efficient. My thoughts. Pick what you like but make sure you have a good quality deep cycle battery and solar to keep it charged.

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

just upgraded to dual battery for that reason alone (optums). if they have more distributors thats good to hear...means more support in market. the price can be 30% more depending on what model. have heard NL is best in class but am hearing good things on SM also.

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

I'd be curious to hear what you went with. I'm in the same predicament right now and I'm wondering SnoMaster 42L or National Luna 50L Weekender. The NL is about $700.00 more but it is larger. I'm limited to my TemboTusk Levitating Drop Slide for space. I love the slide but it was made when there weren't as many options size wise for fridges. So, I'm on the fence with the SnoMaster Traveler 42 or the National Luna 50L fridge and freezer. Leaning towards National Luna at this point but the SnoMaster is a great price point and better insulated then the NL. I'm usually camping with my two kids as well. The mrs. does not care for the "roughing it" approach anymore. So the size is a bit of a concern.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I've had the National Luna 50L Weekender (fridge with separate freezer) for a few years. I opted for the aluminium finish (at the time it was $200 cheaper than the polished SS version) and bought the transit cover. Has been running constantly, runs at home as a secondary fridge. The only complaint I've had on the road has been how hard the bottom basket can randomly be to pull out (had a spill and needed to clean out the fridge floor) apparently I read that NL have since altered the baskets now to be easier to remove.

Freezer is faultless, holds meat, first aid cold pack and ice-creams.

ETA: I love this fridge/freezer, perfectly stores and keeps everything fresh and cold

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

I've had the National Luna 50L Weekender (fridge with separate freezer) for a few years. I opted for the aluminium finish (at the time it was $200 cheaper than the polished SS version) and bought the transit cover. Has been running constantly, runs at home as a secondary fridge. The only complaint I've had on the road has been how hard the bottom basket can randomly be to pull out (had a spill and needed to clean out the fridge floor) apparently I read that NL have since altered the baskets now to be easier to remove.

Freezer is faultless, holds meat, first aid cold pack and ice-creams.

ETA: I love this fridge/freezer, perfectly stores and keeps everything fresh and cold
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear some real world experience about a product.
Thanks again. I'm leaning toward NL 50L Weekender.

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

I'm also considering the National Luna 65L which has the same footprint as the 40L just taller. Food for a week would be great. It also states on the TemboTusk website that it'll fit with the slide. Hmmm No fridge and freezer though. Just one or the other.
Anyone out there that has worked with the 65L? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I don’t have experience with either, but I have been very happy with my edgestar 43qt. With almost 2 years of regular use. It lives on a dometic slide in my truck and is used regularly. They are about $500, but I scored mine from open box direct as a scratch and dent for $250 with free shipping. It had a quarter size ding that I quickly replicated on the other side. Just throwing out another option that could save you several hundred dollars. I have a couple friends that run the same fridge that all have had the same results. I do like the idea of the national Luna fridge freezer combo, but the price of it vs $250 for mine, I’ll just have to wait till I get out of the mountains for my ice cream!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: stage7

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

So what did you purchase and how do you like it?
If this question is for me, I haven't. I'm figuring out my GooseGear setup before I purchase the fridge. If I go with higher drawers or lower will determine the height of the fridge. I don't want to make a really expensive mistake so I'm really planning the best I can.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I don't have personal experience with either but have had an Engel in my truck for more than a decade. The only fridge I'd consider replacing my Engel with is the NL.

Reactions: stage7

Big Willy Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I've had (and used daily) a SnoMaster Expedition grade 66 Liter for almost 2 years now. The product is a great product and well liked by many of the guys that I ride with. The units cool great and quickly. The construction is Top Notch and Todd from SnoMaster USA is great to deal with. I've heard people talk about the efficiency of other brands-- the SnoMaster is no slouch. I run a single Northstar AGM34-M and never dip below 12.6 volts. The fridge is always in my Jeep and always turned on. Those numbers are typical work week, where I drive 30 minutes a day. #big_willy_wanderer

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have a SnoMaster Traveler Series 42 in the back of my Tacoma. It's been running 24/7 for about 3 months now. I have it set to 36 degrees and installed a Renogy 100 watt solar panel and MPPT controller to keep my single battery charged. Never had a problem with voltage. The SnoMaster TR42 came with a cover and a "remote". The remote plugs into a DC outlet in the cab and displays the voltage and temperature of the fridge. It's pretty nice to easily see those numbers without doing any guess work.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I bought a National Lune 90 Twin, not because I needed the size, but because I got it at a price I couldn't turn down. Yes, it is huge, and required a huge slide. Takes up exactly half of the 4Runner's rear cargo area! But, wow, is it nice!!

20139827_1087761491353755_3709853475278350365_n.jpg

Reactions: dziner

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I want to why as the NL twins go up in size the fridge sides don't get much larger. It seems like they just increase the freezer side?

50 liter model has a 10/40 fridge/freezer
60 liter, 25/35
90 liter, 40/50
110 liter, 56/54

I wish they made something larger that keep the 20% freezer and 80% fridge ratio.

Reactions: Gemmy

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I want to why as the NL twins go up in size the fridge sides don't get much larger. It seems like they just increase the freezer side?

50 liter model has a 10/40 fridge/freezer
60 liter, 25/35
90 liter, 40/50
110 liter, 56/54

I wish they made something larger that keep the 20% freezer and 80% fridge ratio.
True! I am not sure I could fit a taller fridge in on top of my current drawers so for extended distance touring I would almost consider trading my 50L Twin and getting two 50L singles and running one as a freezer and one as a fridge.... but there goes the entire cargo area in the LandCruiser..... that's a lot of icecreams though :-)

Would have to weigh up the costs of modifying the drawers to accommodate a bigger twin fridge perhaps.

Anyone have or hear about the Snomaster Traveler 11L console fridge freezer?

radwelder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dawson
Member #

We love our Dometic CFX-50W. We move it back and forth between our trailer and JKU. Highly recommend them.20171007_095838.jpg IMG_20170806_101612615_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think it is great that we have so many choices. I think most all of these brands and models are just fine. I ended up with an ARB 52qt/47lt because it was the perfect size and I liked how the lid opened. The latch was easy to use for the kids, one handed.

Seem to me that the dimensions and the lid function (both latch and opening orientation, and if it releases fully) are more important than brand or anything. You have to really measure and figure out what the best fit is, capacity, lid... then decide on which brand and model match that.

My fridge is a single 'zone', but you learn how to use it so that things at the bottom can be frozen with food and other things on top that are not. I don't regret not having separate fridge and freezer sections at all. I almost never really need a freezer anyway.