Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Interesting data here. The new snatch rings have 60% more frictional load than a traditional snatch block. I can see the value of snatch rings but unless someone proves this video wrong I'll stick with a regular snatch block for main winching and pick up a couple rings in the event I need to winch myself backwards. lol

That_Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine California
First Name
Matt
Last Name
P
Friction rings, which is what these are called we're designed as a faster rigging system for boating and were NOT designed with heavy winching in mind. There are no situations on a sailboat where a rigging line will encounter 2000 lbs. of force in normal operation. Besides, the video pretty clearly explains the friction issue with this type of system. Further, the deflection angle of the resistance (180 degrees plus here) creates increased wear on your lines with this system. Stick with the rigging systems used by crane operators... they don't use friction rings for very good reasons.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
A snatch block is going to be much more useful and safer as they hold up better, you can use them for heavy winching, they work with steel cable and they don't cause a ton of wear on a rope. A steel winch cable would destroy a ring fast.

Reactions: 64Trvlr