Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We are planning a month long trip to the Colorado back country dispersed camping. We will be doing a lot of hiking. Are snake gaiters recommended? If so what manufacturer would you recommend?

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

We are planning a month long trip to the Colorado back country dispersed camping. We will be doing a lot of hiking. Are snake gaiters recommended? If so what manufacturer would you recommend?
REI has some good options, as to one that is better than the other. I’m not really sure.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

I’m located in southwest Colorado, durango specifically, and I’ve never seen anyone running around in the backcountry with snake gators. As far as I know, and correct me if I’m wrong, but the rest of the state has even less snakes than us, so as far as I know you shouldn’t need to worry about any danger noodles or nope ropes for the duration of your trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I’m located in southwest Colorado, durango specifically, and I’ve never seen anyone running around in the backcountry with snake gators. As far as I know, and correct me if I’m wrong, but the rest of the state has even less snakes than us, so as far as I know you shouldn’t need to worry about any danger noodles or nope ropes for the duration of your trip

Thanks for the quick response, thats what I thought. Probably more snakes and critters down here in Florida! Just wanted to make sure I have everything covered. Thanks again.

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

Thanks for the quick response, thats what I thought. Probably more snakes and critters down here in Florida! Just wanted to make sure I have everything covered. Thanks again.
There’s definitely critters, we get tarantulas around here, but the snakes are pretty rare. I have yet to see anything besides bull snakes and little grass and Gardner snakes. The big creepy crawlers are receding for the monsoon and fall seasons. If anything I would be worries about bears and wildfire related stuff. Last I checked there’s 8 wildfires in Colorado alone because we had a fraction of our normal snowpack this winter, so brush up on the fire restriction laws for where you’re going and don’t become a statistic [emoji1]

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

There’s definitely critters, we get tarantulas around here, but the snakes are pretty rare. I have yet to see anything besides bull snakes and little grass and Gardner snakes. The big creepy crawlers are receding for the monsoon and fall seasons. If anything I would be worries about bears and wildfire related stuff. Last I checked there’s 8 wildfires in Colorado alone because we had a fraction of our normal snowpack this winter, so brush up on the fire restriction laws for where you’re going and don’t become a statistic [emoji1]

We are definitely monitoring the fire issue. Plenty of bear spray. Last year Hurricane Irma hit us 3 hours before we were scheduled to fly out and had to cancel, now the fires. One other concern is getting the whole way out this year and have another hurricane blow in and have to come back to prep for that. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Hey Rich , We have watching the fires in Co. on TV and it isnt looking good. Our trip we are planning to start Sept 6 at Cheyenne S.P.the through Manitou Springs, that just had the flash floods to Mueller S.P. then Buena Vista/Salida for a week to do the fourteeners then across 50/149 to Lake City for a few days to do the east part of the Alpine Loop then to Creede after that 2 weeks of what ever. In your opinion do you think we should call it off and wait until next year? Are the fires where we a planning to go? Thanks and be safe.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Fires are a yearly thing in Colorado. Just keep an ear out and check the local radio every day. Buena Vista is one huge area. You could have a large fire and still have 90% still available.

As far as bears go, I have lived and camped across Colorado for 50 years and have only seen a handful of bears and they were a long way off and avoiding humans.

Once in the mountains, rattle snakes will not be found. They can't handle the cold and snow.

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

Buena vista/ Salida are ok for now, and down through lake city, ouray/silverton and telluride are also ok, but there’s a fire between durango and telluride (the 416 fire) that is starting to get contained but could always change. People have been running the alpine loop safely still, and if you get here and find there’s too much risk from a fire springing up somewhere, there’s tons of trails in the area. If you get to ouray or silverton, I’d love to meet up, work schedule permitting, so let me know!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Fires are a yearly thing in Colorado. Just keep an ear out and check the local radio every day. Buena Vista is one huge area. You could have a large fire and still have 90% still available.

As far as bears go, I have lived and camped across Colorado for 50 years and have only seen a handful of bears and they were a long way off and avoiding humans.

Once in the mountains, rattle snakes will not be found. They can't handle the cold and snow.
Thanks ,we really appreciate the first hand info.

Last edited:

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Buena vista/ Salida are ok for now, and down through lake city, ouray/silverton and telluride are also ok, but there’s a fire between durango and telluride (the 416 fire) that is starting to get contained but could always change. People have been running the alpine loop safely still, and if you get here and find there’s too much risk from a fire springing up somewhere, there’s tons of trails in the area. If you get to ouray or silverton, I’d love to meet up, work schedule permitting, so let me know!
Thanks! Game on! Two years ago we did Durango then Mesa Verde,the San Juan Skyway to Ridgway then Ouray (West Alpine Loop and Last Dollar Rd and Yankee Basin)...Black Canyon across 50 then 285 South to the Dunes N. P. Absolutely breathtaking! Would be great to hook up so you could show us the highlights. If you have any recommendations for cool places or campsites on our up comming trip let me know, we really appreciate it. You sure have a beautiful state.

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

It sounds like you’ve done more in the area than I have, not much I could really show you. Kennebec pass is pretty cool, same with missionary ridge, those are my favorites nearby to town. I have yet to do the alpine loop, but I’ve been up by animas forks in Silverton. I haven’t lived here very long, moved out here for college and haven’t had a lot of opportunities to go do the trails I really want to.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

It sounds like you’ve done more in the area than I have, not much I could really show you. Kennebec pass is pretty cool, same with missionary ridge, those are my favorites nearby to town. I have yet to do the alpine loop, but I’ve been up by animas forks in Silverton. I haven’t lived here very long, moved out here for college and haven’t had a lot of opportunities to go do the trails I really want to.

College first, the trails will still be there when you finish. Thanks again.

Reactions: Rich Faller