Smoky Mountain Overland Rally 2018

• HTML tutorial

Ridge Runner Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rockwood, Tennessee
Member #

A1BF6342-0015-4F32-8B75-AAD94BC31DA2.jpeg Who all is going??

It’s happening April 27-29 at the Dark Holler Off-Road recreation area in Cosby, TN. Different trails with varying difficulty, guided trails, classes on all kinds of things from mapping/navigation to advanced winching techniques. It’s gonna be a blast. There’s also going to be vendors showcasing everything from coolers to campers.

Here’s the website if you want to check it out!

https://www.smorally.com/

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Would love to attend something like this in the great state of Tennessee, but definitely would need more of a heads up than 2-3 weeks. I hope it's successful, then maybe we can plan to attend next year!

Radrunner14

Rank II

Advocate I

I’ll be attending! I love in pigeon forge, but I work a security gig on Saturday for Dollywood for extra cash so I’ll be attending Friday and Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Wonder what vendors are coming and what classes will be offered.
edit again: SMOR has posted Class Descriptions and Event Schedule. They have some great looking workshops and presentations.

-------------------------
Drives me nuts when I see a rally or gathering promoted with no list of workshops until just before. Often, for me, makes or breaks the decision to go. I usually incorporate these types of things into longer trips, and not just go out and back for the event. SMOR is only two weeks away at this point.

Here's the current Schedule, though it does not include workshop titles or who is leading them.
Here's the only reference to Confirmed Vendors for 2018 I found. Scroll down a bit on that page to see.

Here's their insta page, where you might be able to pick around for more info. I thought I'd seen some mention of workshop leaders there somewhere for recovery techniques.

I have some friends I met at Expo East I know will be there, and have some biz I can take care of in NC, so may head down after the OB East gathering next weekend. All up in the air right now. . .
  • All rides and class registrations will take place on first day of the event

Last edited:

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

I’ll be there with Orion Coolers. If you have any questions on Coolers vs powered fridge/freezers, stop by and ask and check out our other Overland and camping accessories, from the Handibak seat back attachment to Utilitop minibar to Buckboard knife/cutting board storage system

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Just signed up to be there next weekend. Looking forward to it. Driving in from central Indiana just North of Indy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NLrunner

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN
Member #

I've been on the fence for a while now but I think it's time to pull the trigger. This will be my first event with a large group so I guess it will be a good ice-breaker.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Got an email or insta notice, too, that they've posted the class titles on their site now.

I'm still debating going, but know if I do (it's in the Smokies and I'm on the coast of Maine) I'll end up staying out and going somewhere else, too, and I need to get more work done around here on my kid's place before I get gone for long periods.

Got a mess of friends from down south that are going though, so who knows. . .

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

We'll be running a promo at the rally, SMORALLY18 for 30% off coolers. It's good now on our Orion Coolers website if you're in the market for cooler that can be your camp seat, minibar, and kitchen.

Radrunner14

Rank II

Advocate I

We'll be running a promo at the rally, SMORALLY18 for 30% off coolers. It's good now on our Orion Coolers website if you're in the market for cooler that can be your camp seat, minibar, and kitchen.
Website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We're heading down from Northern Illinois early Thursday morning. If any of you would like to join our convoy you're more than welcome! We're coming up with times and locations now. Check out our Facebook page this evening (Sunday) for the list of stops we'll be making, where you can join up with us.

Reactions: NLrunner

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
I'm coming down from Columbus, OH leaving early Friday morning and I've convinced an old college friend to meet up with me from the D.C. area in her X Terra Pro4X

Reactions: NLrunner

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We went to the Rally and it was a blast! We just wish it was a day longer so we could have spent more time talking to vendors and taking in some of the great clinics they offered. We spent most of our time out on the trails and Forest Service roads. Here's a short video of our experience there;