Smart (but not too smart) AC -> 12vdc battery charger?

• HTML tutorial

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
The problem:
Our trailer came with a NOCO GENPRO10x2 battery charger to keep the batteries charged via wall outlet. Works great if all I need it to do is keep the batteries charged while there's no load regular/long-term load on the batteries. Any constant or recurring load on the batteries over the course of 1-2 days (not exactly sure how long) will trigger the "bad battery" logic in the charger because it senses the batteries are "unable to maintain/hold a charge." There's no way to disable that feature. I turned the fridge on a few days ago to pre-cool and prep for a trip I leave on this Saturday, I went out today and noticed the voltage was a bit low and that's when I noticed the error on the NOCO charger. This complaint has been echoed by others with this same charger as well.

This is unfortunate because I like this charger otherwise and being able to connect an extension cord to the connector on the front of the storage/battery box is super convenient. Does anyone know of a similarly-sized AC -> DC charger that's a good quality and is able to deal with running fridges for days without thinking the batteries are "bad" and disabling the charge function?

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Mine doesn't keep up with my fridge either. I have it mounted in the box and use it for shore power. I ended up running a 110v cord to the fridge and tied it into the AC input to the charger. I have confirmed my output at 10 amps which should be enough for both. The added in power cord was cheaper for me. My fridge auto switch's over when I unplug the shore power.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Mine doesn't keep up with my fridge either. I have it mounted in the box and use it for shore power. I ended up running a 110v cord to the fridge and tied it into the AC input to the charger. I have confirmed my output at 10 amps which should be enough for both. The added in power cord was cheaper for me. My fridge auto switch's over when I unplug the shore power.
I could probably do that with one fridge, but the other one I can't easily access the power for. The 10A charger will definitely keep up, the issue is with the battery monitoring code. Apparently it monitors voltage drop over time vs charge time to determine if the battery is able to hold a charge and the frequent load from the fridge(s) is enough to trigger the "bad battery" logic that disables the charger.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
the frequent load from the fridge(s) is enough to trigger the "bad battery" logic that disables the charger.
OH!
I didn't pay attention to that. It makes sense now. I just assumed it wasn't keeping up possibly due to the compressor cycling. I guess that's what we get for getting a "smart" charger for batteries and not a plain power supply. I do love these chargers though. We have 30 odd vehicles at work we use for training. The don't get run enough to charge. The company went through "smart chargers" and batteries by the truck load until I talked them into the NOCO's. What's nice is the sulfation mode and they don't time out and need to be turned back on.

Reactions: shansonpac

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I read through all the literature on this charger and am no help. This is really strange behavior, and the "bad battery" algorithm defeats to utility of the connection to shore power.

My system is different. I'm using a Victron charger and 100 ah Lithium ion battery. I keep the trailer plugged in all the time when parked as this charger has a storage mode that keeps the battery optimally conditioned.

The Victron iPhone app has more settings than I know what to do with controlling battery / voltage parameters as well as state of charge (SOC) syncing. After my trailer was delivered, everything was out of wack. Spent 30 minutes on the phone with the electrical engineer from Turtleback and got every set right. My electrical system is now operating flawlessly.

A call to NOCO support may be in order.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I use Victron for everything else (Solar charge controller and DC-DC charger), maybe I just need to swap the NOCO with one of those Victron units. That one specifically says that it can be used as a power supply, too!

I really do love the Victron stuff, I don't think they get enough credit/praise or maybe they just get drowned out by the Redarc crew. :) I was looking at replacing the NOCO and the 1000w inverter with a combined Victron unit, but that seems like overkill. This seems perfect. I love how you can tweak the charge settings to whatever you need for your batteries, too. They have good defaults but having the ability to match your exact battery needs is great.

Reactions: shansonpac

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I use Victron for everything else (Solar charge controller and DC-DC charger), maybe I just need to swap the NOCO with one of those Victron units. That one specifically says that it can be used as a power supply, too!

I really do love the Victron stuff, I don't think they get enough credit/praise or maybe they just get drowned out by the Redarc crew. :) I was looking at replacing the NOCO and the 1000w inverter with a combined Victron unit, but that seems like overkill. This seems perfect. I love how you can tweak the charge settings to whatever you need for your batteries, too. They have good defaults but having the ability to match your exact battery needs is great.
And. this charger works on both 110/220 systems. However, I feel like I need a degree in electrical engineering to work the app.... :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: DRAX