Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springboro, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Did the National Land Rover Rally several years back in my lifted and locked Discovery 2, circumstances and timing have kept me away but I've been longing to go back. No more RRCs, Discos or LR3 in the stable anymore but if memory serves me - the Evoque could do Top of the World, Chicken Corners - maybe even Fins N Things. Outside of some short vids of a guy in a Freelander/LR2, havent see much of the small (soft roaders) vehicles out that way. Anybody have experience trailing a non-traditional kitted out rig there? Trails to recommend?

Living in Ohio there really arent any great places close by without having 35"s and a big lift - I may go back that route at some point, but would love some place to hit that is a bit more forgiving....and Moab is calling!

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thanks I'll check it out! Basically looking to do what most people go there for, hit some fun trails, hike a bit - likely stay in town. Would definitely want to be part of a group, not big on solo travel...socializing is at least 1/2 the fun anyway!

Well, I have much larger rig now, but I've had a smaller non-traditional rig out there a few years back. On 31 inch tires, if that tells ya anything.

Best advice, pick up this book.

http://amzn.to/2kajsO9

There is so much to Moab, it's hard to just throw out generalities without knowing what you want to do.

ExGEO

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Port Richey, FL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5HLQ/AG
I was a guide in Moab. I drove Hell's revenge and poison spider on a daily basis in a Humvee. I also ran monitor and merrimac and gemini bridges at least once a day. There's some good camping out there and the hotels are wonderful if you book early enough. Love muffin has good... Well, muffins for breakfast. You can do chicken corners stock, just go slow. I wouldn't recommend fins n things until you get good and warmed up, if at all. Hiking is in arches, but there is also a neat trail that goes to a spring fed water fall on the Southeast side of town. There are short hikes around tusher tunnel and dinosaur tracks, but it's not a dramatic thing. If you're rolling stock-ish, I would head to the stuff on the northwest side of town. Also, Long canyon will give you a scare if it's snowing, but it's super cool. Corrie and Mike almost died there too haha. Feel free to drop me a PM and we will see about some local secrets. And let me know when you're going! We are considering leaving for Moab soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

KAWR_4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New York City
Member #

I did moab this summer with a modified JKU 4.5 inch life and 37s and I would not recommend doing fins n things in a stock vehicle. My concern is clearance, I feel like your undercarriage and running boards will be non existent by the end. If you get there and feel like you can do it go for it. If not rent a polaris and go out there and conquer everything!! good luck!!!

Reactions: Dirty Ape

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thanks man! I'm long past the "watch me try this" phase, I appreciate your personal knowledge and experience...safe and undamaged is always my goal!

I was a guide in Moab. I drove Hell's revenge and poison spider on a daily basis in a Humvee. I also ran monitor and merrimac and gemini bridges at least once a day. There's some good camping out there and the hotels are wonderful if you book early enough. Love muffin has good... Well, muffins for breakfast. You can do chicken corners stock, just go slow. I wouldn't recommend fins n things until you get good and warmed up, if at all. Hiking is in arches, but there is also a neat trail that goes to a spring fed water fall on the Southeast side of town. There are short hikes around tusher tunnel and dinosaur tracks, but it's not a dramatic thing. If you're rolling stock-ish, I would head to the stuff on the northwest side of town. Also, Long canyon will give you a scare if it's snowing, but it's super cool. Corrie and Mike almost died there too haha. Feel free to drop me a PM and we will see about some local secrets. And let me know when you're going! We are considering leaving for Moab soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Jealous - hope you had a blast! When I did Fins before I had 32" tires and 2" lift on a D2, but there were plenty of guys in stock Land Rovers doing it on less..I'm sure there was some ass dragging especially on the Discoveries. Was thinking with some maxtrax or sand bridges, might be able to mitigate some of the nastier incline/declines. I would opt for bigger rubber and a slight spring lift before going out. Even then I think I'd be maxxed out at about 10 1/2 inches of ground clearance. Your 37"s are probably taller than my Evoque! haha

I did moab this summer with a modified JKU 4.5 inch life and 37s and I would not recommend doing fins n things in a stock vehicle. My concern is clearance, I feel like your undercarriage and running boards will be non existent by the end. If you get there and feel like you can do it go for it. If not rent a polaris and go out there and conquer everything!! good luck!!!

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

We did Jug Handle road, White Rim trail (3/4 of it), quite a few trails in Dead Horse, and Arches, along with various other roads in between in my wife's 2013 RR Evoque. I hit every non-paved road we could. We were impressed that it took everything we threw at it and more. The crawl control/downhill assist/terrain selections really helped. The key to everything we did was speed... Slow pace, watching your line, slow pace, spotting, slow pace, was the key... Our deficiency were the tires, but the Continentals held really well and were impressive for being more of a sport tire. They surprised us indeed.

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

LOL, I drove Fins and Things in a stock Ram Power Wagon on 33's.

Hells, Poison Spider even Elephant Hill to name a few. You didn't need a 4.5 inch lift or 37's to do it. :p

Reactions: gtomike

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

LOL, I drove Fins and Things in a stock Ram Power Wagon on 33's.

Hells, Poison Spider even Elephant Hill to name a few. You didn't need a 4.5 inch lift or 37's to do it. :p
When you and I did it this year,wasn't there a bone stock Chevy Tracker that followed us out???

Reactions: ob4838

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Yeah, I'd say you could have a few years ago. It was particularly torn up this past May though, worse than it's been ever before. Although the hard side is not as damaged as what was suppose to be the easy side. I dunno if that's from side by sides or just EJS, but that was a trail that at one point you could drive a Trailblazer up. But now, it's turning into an actual difficult trail.

I've always felt the ratings book was a little off. NEarly almost everything I've done since switching from a short wheelbase to the Power Wagon is suppose to be impossible according to that book.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

When you and I did it this year,wasn't there a bone stock Chevy Tracker that followed us out???
You remember Eric from the year before in the blue Jeep Liberty, I mean he's done Hells and Finns and follow all of us through Elephant hill on those little tires. I'd say that knowing WTF you are doing is more important than the mods on your rig to a certain degree. Also, being able to make an honest risk assessment and not letting ego get in the way on the trail.

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

Yeah, I'd say you could have a few years ago. It was particularly torn up this past May though, worse than it's been ever before. Although the hard side is not as damaged as what was suppose to be the easy side. I dunno if that's from side by sides or just EJS, but that was a trail that at one point you could drive a Trailblazer up. But now, it's turning into an actual difficult trail.

I've always felt the ratings book was a little off. NEarly almost everything I've done since switching from a short wheelbase to the Power Wagon is suppose to be impossible according to that book.
I was there in March and used my skid plates plenty. It was my first time on TTW so I don't know if it's worse or not. I also did Kane Creek and it was was waaay worse. I had to use my winch on Hamburger Hill. Make sure you have the most current book as the trails change a lot year to year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

Having good tires and someone with you who knows the trails really helps. I did Hell's Revenge in my 2.5" lifted Tacoma on 31's and only tapped the front skid a couple times. It was the first trail I'd ever driven and the biggest reason I made it through as well as I did is because my buddy whose been on it who knows how many times rode shotgun with me. That said, I dragged my hitch a couple dozen times and by no means would recommend your current Evoque for it. Just go with someone who knows the area and get some decent rubber before going. I think you'd have fun on Gemini Bridges. I did it from the top and dropped elevation, but plenty of people go the opposite way too. Oh, and air down!