Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Having recently ordered a small propane fire pit, I believe the two 1 lb propane bottles I use for cooking won’t be enough for an entire weekend of camping (testing is planned:). I do only expect to have fires in the evenings as I’m usually on the move during the day. I can’t decide what route to try for propane storage. Here is what I’m thinking so far….(yes, I’ve searched here and read multiple threads)

5 lb tank Pros:
  • I can refill at home using 20 lb tank (this is a big pro!)
  • About $75 one-time cost + propane cost
5 lb tank Cons:
  • Don’t know how much propane is left in tank
  • Have to find a place to refill on longer trips
  • Will stick up 5” higher than everything else on roof rack (a big con!)

1 lb tank Pros:
  • Readily available, even on trips
  • Know with more certainty how much propane is left (e.g. 2 of 4 tanks full)
  • Possible storage on side ( see below)
1 lb tank Cons:
  • Can’t refill (see below)
  • Cost (see below)

More thoughts…

Cost: I am fully aware of the 1 lb refillable Flame King option. Besides the cost, it seems only the kit is available. The individual tanks are out of stock. I would need at least 4 tanks. That option is over $100, which is probably two years worth of 1 lb single-use tanks.

Storage: All tanks will go on the roof rack. I have seen multiple posts claiming that 1 lb tanks cannot be stored on their side. If that is true, why can these tanks be shipped through the USPS? I know the post office doesn’t keep them vertical (even with the ridiculous cost!). If I can store the small tanks on their side, that’s a huge pro.

Seeking more thoughts on this…

HERE’S AN UPDATE ON WHAT I ENDED UP DOING: Small Propane Tank Selection and Storage Dilemma

Last edited:

waexplorer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Need more info on the fire pit. I had a Kamp Chef that was a propane hog. 20 lb cylinder lasted only 3-4 evenings. It broke and I threw it away. In the market for a new one, smaller and less thirsty

• Wow
Reactions: kunstmilch

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use a 10 gal tank and love it. I put a gauge on mine so I do know what's inside. You can also feel the side of the tank while it is being used and get a idea of where you are, the fuel is colder as you use it.
I stored my 1# on there side for years without a problem.
Filling a larger tank is easy and there are many places that will do, most have a minimum fee.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Need more info on the fire pit. I had a Kamp Chef that was a propane hog. 20 lb cylinder lasted only 3-4 evenings. It broke and I threw it away. In the market for a new one, smaller and less thirsty
Here’s what I plan to get before the end of the year:

And based on this, I think 2 lbs per weekend will be about right, with a 1 lb spare for really cold weekends…
But again, I plan to do testing once it arrives before I spend any money on any more tanks.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

You can also feel the side of the tank while it is being used and get a idea of where you are, the fuel is colder as you use it.
Just sitting here in the middle of frying a turkey and thought about this. Ran my hand up and down the side of the 20 lb tank. No sense of fill level whatsoever.

I stored my 1# on there side for years without a problem.
Yeah, I think all those statements were just opinions. I can’t believe the post office would ship a small propane tank if it had to be stored upright.

Filling a larger tank is easy and there are many places that will do, most have a minimum fee.
Used to have an RV. Getting the 30 lb tanks filled around my home became such a pain that I replaced them with 20 lb tanks that I could exchange at the grocery store or gas station. The extra cost is soooo worth the convenience. JMHO

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Just sitting here in the middle of frying a turkey and thought about this. Ran my hand up and down the side of the 20 lb tank. No sense of fill level whatsoever.

Yeah, I think all those statements were just opinions. I can’t believe the post office would ship a small propane tank if it had to be stored upright.

Used to have an RV. Getting the 30 lb tanks filled around my home became such a pain that I replaced them with 20 lb tanks that I could exchange at the grocery store or gas station. The extra cost is soooo worth the convenience. JMHO
I just looked up the hand thing, you pour hot water down the side and feel the tank. It's been years for me doing it. Google it.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

One more con for the 1#; they usually get thrown in the dump.

About the extra height; Are you that critical in getting under objects? Parking garage etc? No other place to put a larger one?

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Glad I saw this…I’m going to just use a ole’ Coleman stove. There’s just two of us and it’s so much lighter.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Last edited:

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Adding one more 1lb con, they're super wasteful. They are household hazardous waste in most places which means they are not recycled and even if they were, you'd have to vent the last bit of propane to atmosphere to do so.

The 5lb container is far more responsible IMO and if you know the empty weight it's easy to top off before trips. I keep a refillable 1lb in the box in case I run out but it's been there long enough that I'm realizing I should probably pull it out and check to see if it's still full. If you're worried about tracking use, you can weigh the thing with one of those handheld luggage scales.

Last edited:

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Having recently ordered a small propane fire pit, I believe the two 1 lb propane bottles I use for cooking won’t be enough for an entire weekend of camping (testing is planned:). I do only expect to have fires in the evenings as I’m usually on the move during the day. I can’t decide what route to try for propane storage. Here is what I’m thinking so far….(yes, I’ve searched here and read multiple threads)

5 lb tank Pros:
5 lb tank Cons:

1 lb tank Pros:
1 lb tank Cons:
  • Cost (see below)

More thoughts…

Cost: I am fully aware of the 1 lb refillable Flame King option. Besides the cost, it seems only the kit is available. The individual tanks are out of stock. I would need at least 4 tanks. That option is over $100, which is probably two years worth of 1 lb single-use tanks.

Storage: All tanks will go on the roof rack. I have seen multiple posts claiming that 1 lb tanks cannot be stored on their side. If that is true, why can these tanks be shipped through the USPS? I know the post office doesn’t keep them vertical (even with the ridiculous cost!). If I can store the small tanks on their side, that’s a huge pro.

something about storage of 1lb tanks, get some 4' pvc pipe and a 1lb tank will fit nicely in there. I glued a cap at one end and a screw on at the other end.
you can kind of see the two of them behind the Yeti in the middle

Attachments

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

something about storage of 1lb tanks, get some 4' pvc pipe and a 1lb tank will fit nicely in there. I glued a cap at one end and a screw on at the other end.
you can kind of see the two of them behind the Yeti in the middle
That’s how I store them. But, on the roof rack it has to be horizontal.

AA0B8246-41DE-4F81-9DCC-DE8563708E6B.jpeg

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

5 lb tank Pros:
5 lb tank Cons:

1 lb tank Pros:
1 lb tank Cons:
  • Cost (see below)

More thoughts…

Convenience is greater than price.

I love my 5lbs tank. You can feel it getting empty, (can also buy a hose with a guage, or add a guage)
I have a van so i carry it inside i like that it has a actual valve to close.

I top it off before going on a big trip 4days+. Its payed itself off in a year.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

nice set-up on top of the rig
Well thanks. Here’s the most important part, where the fire pit will go in the Pelican case with a little firewood:)

E62E4B49-3D3B-447A-987B-B408FD146293.jpeg

Obviously, I’m debating about adding a 5 lb vertical tank or extending the pipe to take one or two more 1 lb tanks. I really don’t want to add much to the height. I sure wish I could get a set of four 1 lb Flame Kings for under $100. That would be the best approach.

Reactions: Kozysnack

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

nice set-up on top of the rig
Well thanks. Here’s the most important part, where the fire pit will go in the Pelican case with a little firewood:)

View attachment 216969

Obviously, I’m debating about adding a 5 lb vertical tank or extending the pipe to take one or two more 1 lb tanks. I really don’t want to add much to the height. I sure wish I could get a set of four 1 lb Flame Kings for under $100. That would be the best approach.
I refill the disposable 1lb tanks, have not had a issue. They fill up to around 80% with a $5 adapter i got at walmart (said it was specifically for 1lb cans)

Reactions: lhoffm4

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I refill the disposable 1lb tanks, have not had a issue. They fill up to around 80% with a $5 adapter i got at walmart (said it was specifically for 1lb cans)
I’ve been able to get close to that if I put them in the freezer for an hour ahead of time. At ambient temperature, you might get 50%.

Reactions: Desert Runner