Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Any suggestions on smaller LED rack lights for auxillary backup and camp setup lighting? Ideally I'd like two facing rearward and one on each side of the roof rack for access lighting.

I'm looking for something compact and as inexpensive as possible without too much quality sacrifice.

Thanks!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@stringtwelve When I was looking for a light bar with good quality for a reasonable cost, I found the OPT7 LED lights had great reviews. My 32" bar has worked out great so far. They are available in various sizes and C1 or C2 versions (older or redesigned.) I got mine on Amazon, but they have an eBay store, as well.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@stringtwelve When I was looking for a light bar with good quality for a reasonable cost, I found the OPT7 LED lights had great reviews. My 32" bar has worked out great so far. They are available in various sizes and C1 or C2 versions (older or redesigned.) I got mine on Amazon, but they have an eBay store, as well.
Thanks @Steve they're on my list to research.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

You can pick up 2 18w 6 led lights from Amazon cheap. Like $25. They need a little silicone around the lens to be waterproof, but they are plenty bright for backup lights or lighting up a campsite. I have them mounted to my tire carrier.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
You can pick up 2 18w 6 led lights from Amazon cheap. Like $25. They need a little silicone around the lens to be waterproof, but they are plenty bright for backup lights or lighting up a campsite. I have them mounted to my tire carrier.
Any night pics?

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have those on my front bumper. So far, so good. Got a pair of them for around $25. They have held up in the rain and snow. Going to put a couple on the roof rack, once I buy one and get it installed. Here's a link to what I bought. Several companies are selling the same light, just repackaged with a different name.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Here are a couple of night shots I took, I hope they help. Note that I have mine aimed down a bit so they aren't quite as blinding when you look at them. It's helpful when setting up camp and you have to walk back to the rig to get something else. These are the Nilight brand, not that I matters, I have a set of 36w Kawell brand that are identical in construction.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes,, I've never understood paying big bucks for lighting up the sky, or lighting up a half mile or more in front of you, unless of course you're into desert racing, or the Baja 500.. I've got a pair of KC Apollos up front.. and we use Black Diamond LED headlamps, if necessary, to set up camp after dark..

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Got my lighting ordered the other day and went with the following:

Spots on Gobi Rack:
Center mounted -

Right and Left -

Rear Flood/Camp Lights:

Relays:

If I had gone with Rigid this would have cost nearly $1000! I think $250 is much more manageable. As @oldfooladventures said, I'm not desert racing! I'll keep you all updated on the install and quality.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey @administrator and people not using Safari,

@stringtwelve has been using the MEDIA tag to link to Amazon on a few posts. Those links do not show up on my end using Safari on a Mac desktop or on Safari on an iPad. Are these links visible to others on other platforms? If I quote String, I can see the MEDIA links, but can't click on them to visit the linked page.