Launch Member

Traveler I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Cody
Last Name
S
Member #

I have stated in my bio that I wanted to take this slow. Like all things "slow" is relative. I am planning for about a 5 year process. Not only to make sure I have the discretionary funds to allow me to purchase higher grade parts, when deemed necessary. But, to give myself ample time to use the jeep and find its short comings. My long term plans are to create an overlanding style rig that is as comfortable as it is capable. As such, I do not plan on ever having larger than 35s and a 2.5" lift. About a month ago I traded my 2016 Lariat F250 with 42,000 miles on this 2014 JKU Sahara with 64,000 miles about a month ago and it had brand new 285/70/17 KO2s so I will wear those out before moving on.

My purpose in this thread is to not only archive the jeeps progress, but to have input from you all on why I did what I did or to question my motives. I am not overly sensitive about my vehicles and the decisions I make regarding them. I invite any questions and comments.

Cody

Mods September 12, 2018:
(I have kept these simple so far.)
-Leveling kit
-Removed entry steps
-Removal of side stickers, Sahara and Wrangler Unlimited. (Soon Trail Rated and Chrome "Jeep")
-Aluminum door handle inserts
-Shorty Antenna
-Aluminum gas cap cover

Attachments

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I have stated in my bio that I wanted to take this slow. Like all things "slow" is relative. I am planning for about a 5 year process. Not only to make sure I have the discretionary funds to allow me to purchase higher grade parts, when deemed necessary. But, to give myself ample time to use the jeep and find its short comings. My long term plans are to create an overlanding style rig that is as comfortable as it is capable. As such, I do not plan on ever having larger than 35s and a 2.5" lift. About a month ago I traded my 2016 Lariat F250 with 42,000 miles on this 2014 JKU Sahara with 64,000 miles about a month ago and it had brand new 285/70/17 KO2s so I will wear those out before moving on.

My purpose in this thread is to not only archive the jeeps progress, but to have input from you all on why I did what I did or to question my motives. I am not overly sensitive about my vehicles and the decisions I make regarding them. I invite any questions and comments.

Cody

Mods September 12, 2018:
(I have kept these simple so far.)
-Leveling kit
-Removed entry steps
-Removal of side stickers, Sahara and Wrangler Unlimited. (Soon Trail Rated and Chrome "Jeep")
-Aluminum door handle inserts
-Shorty Antenna
-Aluminum gas cap cover
Very nice start to your build....

Reactions: Firemom

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
You are taking a very smart approach. I have the same mentality with my build - it's been two years now and i only very recently installed a lift and larger tires. I've only really made changes as We've actually hit limits, and as a result, i've saved myself from buying a lot of "cool" but relatively useless mods. Here's my build thread if you are interested in checking out our relatively modest project:
2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock - "Jolene"

I noticed you installed a leveling kit, so I thought I'd give you my two cents about doing that: Jeep Wranglers come from the factory with a rake because then when you put some load (or passengers) in the rear, it will level itself out. If you remove the rake, and then put any load in the rear, you will end up with a sag which will affect handling and performance, in addition to looking kinda goofy. Even without a load, there is an illusion of sagging with a "leveled" Jeep due to the design of the wheel wells and fenders - look at your second picture, for example. Anyway, the rake is critical for Overlanding, IMO, because you are almost always going to have at least *some* noticeable load when you are out on the trails, given you'll have water, camping gear, food at minimum. With my setup, I got out with my whole family, so a butt in every seat, then i have a cargo rack filled up, and the weight of our kitchen and cooler stuff in the rear and I had a terrible sag even with the factory rake:

(i have since solved that problem with a 2.5" lift and OME heavy load coils in the rear)

Anyway, i'll step off my soapbox now, you have a nice looking Jeep, i love that anvil color! i'm looking forward to following your build

Cody Stewart

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Cody
Last Name
S
Member #

You are taking a very smart approach. I have the same mentality with my build - it's been two years now and i only very recently installed a lift and larger tires. I've only really made changes as We've actually hit limits, and as a result, i've saved myself from buying a lot of "cool" but relatively useless mods. Here's my build thread if you are interested in checking out our relatively modest project:
2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock - "Jolene"

I noticed you installed a leveling kit, so I thought I'd give you my two cents about doing that: Jeep Wranglers come from the factory with a rake because then when you put some load (or passengers) in the rear, it will level itself out. If you remove the rake, and then put any load in the rear, you will end up with a sag which will affect handling and performance, in addition to looking kinda goofy. Even without a load, there is an illusion of sagging with a "leveled" Jeep due to the design of the wheel wells and fenders - look at your second picture, for example. Anyway, the rake is critical for Overlanding, IMO, because you are almost always going to have at least *some* noticeable load when you are out on the trails, given you'll have water, camping gear, food at minimum. With my setup, I got out with my whole family, so a butt in every seat, then i have a cargo rack filled up, and the weight of our kitchen and cooler stuff in the rear and I had a terrible sag even with the factory rake:

(i have since solved that problem with a 2.5" lift and OME heavy load coils in the rear)

Anyway, i'll step off my soapbox now, you have a nice looking Jeep, i love that anvil color! i'm looking forward to following your build

Such great points. I should have addressed some of these in my opening. I am an avid backpacker and have two of almost everything that entails, tents, sleeping mats, stoves, etc. So most of my gear is very lightweight. I very highly doubt I will every get a roof top tent as I have several nice NEMO and MSR ground tents. I am not saying never, but doubtful. I do want a rack of some sort as I have a couple kayaks. (I am still in the rabbit hole of roof racks and no longer see the light of day, so I have abandoned hope and will sit in the darkness of that for awhile longer.)

Also, I should have typed "overland" instead of overland, as I am currently limited on my range. I don't expect to install a cooler/fridge and racks upon racks. That being said I will at some point be adding a lift to this rig and will completely expect to get the rake back at that point. Also, I worked the leveling kit into the purchase at no additional cost to me. My wife and I have a three year old daughter and wont be having anymore. So our gear will be at a minimum for a few years as my wife isn't all that outdoorsy and my daughter doesn't require much. I have no intention of purchasing $1,000s of dollar worth of gear to not use it...That's what fly fishing is for! I do expect to put many offroad miles on this jeep and I just don't expect it to get too extreme. I have been selling ranches in Texas for 15 years and have seen rock, mud, brush and everything in between. Thanks for bringing up those points and any others, you are now an unpaid consultant on this project!

Cheers to you, your family and certainly to Jolene!

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Hehe, we have a ton of lightweight backpacking gear as well. Since we have such limited space when we load the whole family in, we find that backpacking gears is perfect as it takes up so little room. Of course, now we've ordered an expedition trailer so i'm sure all that will change. Now we'll have actual room to bring fancier glamping equipment, hah

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Slow & steady is a great thought. My exact plans for my wife’s Jku as well as mine. By the time the vehicles are payed off they will be built fully & ready for years of overlanding & exploring the U.S. On top of that our youngest will be off to college

Reactions: Cody Stewart

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

Awsome build. Looking forward to following your build to see what ideas I can steel....oh I meant to say use on mine. This was before the OME springs so you can see the sag a little. IMG_3636.JPG

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

Great looking Jeep. I like OME products and have for a long time. What has your experience been like with them?
The ride improved a lot from the rough country springs. They also gave me the 4in of lilft back.

Cody Stewart

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Cody
Last Name
S
Member #

Still taking it nice and slow. The Black Friday/Cyber Monday hype is building and I am really trying to stay strong. After hours of research and studying bumpers, I decided on the Smittybilt XRC gen 1. I found it new on Amazon of all places. I chose it for a few reasons; I liked the overall aesthetics, I liked the $275 price, I liked that the winch plate sits low and I like that it was an easy install. I am fully aware of the shortcomings of the bumper. It is a heavy steel bumper and it doesn't have fog light mounts, etc.

The bumper didn't produced any noticeable sag in the front and I wanted bolt-on amber driving/fog lights. So far I am happy with the progress and I am glad I am still taking my time. If I make a bad decision it won't be from haste.

Next up:
-LED headlights
-Fog lights
-Rock Sliders
-67 designs phone/ipad mount
-Fender flares

Cody

Attachments

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

Still taking it nice and slow. The Black Friday/Cyber Monday hype is building and I am really trying to stay strong. After hours of research and studying bumpers, I decided on the Smittybilt XRC gen 1. I found it new on Amazon of all places. I chose it for a few reasons; I liked the overall aesthetics, I liked the $275 price, I liked that the winch plate sits low and I like that it was an easy install. I am fully aware of the shortcomings of the bumper. It is a heavy steel bumper and it doesn't have fog light mounts, etc.

The bumper didn't produced any noticeable sag in the front and I wanted bolt-on amber driving/fog lights. So far I am happy with the progress and I am glad I am still taking my time. If I make a bad decision it won't be from haste.

Next up:
-LED headlights
-Fog lights
-Rock Sliders
-67 designs phone/ipad mount
-Fender flares

Cody
Looks great.

Justin Lackey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hughesville, MD, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lackey
Member #

That is a nice jeep to build from. One suggestion I would make is a rock hard 4x4 engine/tranny skid plate. I am stock height on my jku and have got it quite a few times.

Cody Stewart

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Cody
Last Name
S
Member #

That is a nice jeep to build from. One suggestion I would make is a rock hard 4x4 engine/tranny skid plate. I am stock height on my jku and have got it quite a few times.
I’m glad you mentioned armor. It’s so easy to get caught up in lighting and all the flash. Thanks Justin.

Cody Stewart

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Cody
Last Name
S
Member #

IMG_4654.JPGIMG_4655.JPG
Maybe slow is an understatement. Sloth-like maybe?

I didn’t go as overboard as feared on Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. I picked these two Hella 500 series amber driving lights to “replace” the oem I lost with the bumper. I decided on the Black Magic light covers to keep the front end colors similar. I wired them into the factory fog light control and haven’t run into any problems thus far.

I also installed a 67 designs phone mount and would go as far as saying this should be done the day you purchase a Jeep. I have never in any vehicle since phone mounts became a thing have had one this perfect.

I am still needing to replace my headlights and hope for a sweet Christmas deal.

Reactions: gabe

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Hehe, we have a ton of lightweight backpacking gear as well. Since we have such limited space when we load the whole family in, we find that backpacking gears is perfect as it takes up so little room. Of course, now we've ordered an expedition trailer so i'm sure all that will change. Now we'll have actual room to bring fancier glamping equipment, hah
"A ton of lightweight" backpacking gear. Hmmmmm.. Is a ton very lightweight?? lol

Reactions: gabe and brien

Cody Stewart

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Cody
Last Name
S
Member #

jeep1.21.jpg

So, It's been a bit since I posted up here. I have installed a few interior parts, but mostly ext upgrades. I am happy to answer any questions.

Cody

- Teraflex S/T3 lift
- Fox 2.0 Performance shocks
-Yokohama Geolandar M/T 35/12.50/17 (5)
-Fuel Shok 17x9 (5)
-Rigid/Trucklite 7" LED Headlights
-Rigid D pods on A pillar
-Smittybuilt XRC gen1 rear bumper
-

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Solid rig! I didn't do the slow and stead and wasted more money on mine than I should have. I am on my 5th or 6th suspension and I think I have it dialed in at this point. I wish I would have taken more times to figure out exactly what I wanted the Jeep to do, and I still kinda want it to do everything. Your rig looks like it has many awesome trips in its future!