Slippery muddy conditions, steep hill and a tree..

• HTML tutorial

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Hi,

I’m trying to decide what to do next with BarkMarker. It was totaled by the insurance co and I bought it back. Should I scrap it or, What are your thoughts on me chopping the Back off just behind the rear seat or buying a new quarter panel and rear door? I’m so bummed out about this as I have so much time into this build along with some great memories. There is nothing else wrong with it. Drives like a champ and straight as an arrow. if I chop it, I’d build in a water tank, have room to mount Jerry cans, my Hi Lift jack and build in a storage box that is water proof for recovery gear and another for kitchen and fridge. Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.98513

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Totally fixable! I agree with Shaun. Get the panels fixed up then throw a new rear wrap around bumper on it with swing out spare tire and jerry can mounts. Those will hide any minor imperfections and you can adventure the hell out of it with less worry than before. :) You're building more memories this way.

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

it doesn't look that bad, get it tidied up a bit and keep enjoying it, it doesn't need to be perfect.

Bigt8ter

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Holden Beach, N.C.
First Name
ROB
Last Name
JUSTICE
AS A BODY MAN/BODY SHOP MANAGER MY OPINION IS THE GATE YOU COULD MORE THAN LIKELY STRAIGHTENED OUT GOOD ENOUGH. NEEDS TO BE ROUGH PULLED ON FRAME MACHINE TO GET THE GATE TO SEAL BACK TO THE GASKET, THEN PUT A USED QUARTER,TAIL-LIGHT POCKET,TAIL-LIGHT IN IT AND YOUR CHOICE OF BUMPERS.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Yep. I agree with all the above. Talk to a few body shops, go with the one that seems to understand what you are asking for. I'd pick up a used hatch, have them pull the corner out enough to fit a tail light in and as already mentioned, get a nice steel bumper with swing out.

Now that it's dinged up, you can wheel with less stress.

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Thank guys! Waiting to hear from a buddy’s friend who has a frame straitened. The main thing is to get the light back on and wired up.

Reactions: JCWages

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
BarkMarker is all back together. I’m a bit late on posting an update, the guys at Top Notch Auto did an awesome job! Bumpers are sprayed in Raptor Coat. View attachment 186966
DAMAGE, what damage.......nice fix.

Plz share the......Particulars on cost, time, difficulty on sourcing parts. Did you cut-off the 1/4 panel, or had it banged out/straightened? Do you plan on a more substantial rear bumper with those rear side protector wing bars for quarter panel protection to minimize future damage in the area. Rock Slider's might keep help side damage to a minimum also.

Reactions: old_man

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It was around 3700 to fix. I sourced the parts from LKQ. Top Notch Auto in Dallas did a great job and were very helpful. Yes the cut out the complete quarter panel along the drip seam. I really pleased with their work.

Attachments