Slider coating question.

• HTML tutorial

Nisken

Rank 0

Traveler I

I had some slider made for my '05 Sequouia. They look great and aren't coated. I'm trying to decide whether or not to have them powder coated or go for a coating that allows some grip. I'm leaning towards something with some texture but wanted to know what the community recommends.

P.S: i realize this are going to get scraped up and etc. but i'm not going to "rattle can" them)

Glad to be a part of the community!

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I’d also coat the insides, especially if they’re not sealed box/tubes. Waxoyl/fluid film or something similar is good for this.

My sliders are galvy coated, then painted. As such, it’s susceptible to paint chipping and monitoring gouges in the galvy coating is necessary.

As sailor96 mentioned, regardless of how you coat them, the coatings can be scraped off, exposing bare steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

I like to get my stuff powder coated in semi-gloss black, then I use Dupli Color semi-gloss black spray paint for touch up. I found that brand specifically to be a good match and touch-ups were not very noticeable. Your results may vary...

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coat em however you want but you'll chasing scrapes and rust regardless

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using OB Talk mobile app
+1. I'd recommend something inexpensive and easy to retouch.

Rattle cans can look nice if you do the prep work. Epoxy paint holds up pretty well. Hammerite is really good, too, though can be hard to find sometimes.

If you're looking for grip, you'd probably be better off keeping the finish smooth and using 3M grip tape (there's different levels of grip).

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

If used properly, sliders need to slide. Textured material will get hung up and scraped off on rocks. Years ago I bought an 04 Rubicon that had Body Armor sliders. They were powder coated but between the rock and the UV of the desert sun they require periodic touch ups using flat black rattle can. My vehicle certainly isn’t a show vehicle. I’m just trying to keep it clean at this point.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Sliders are for rocks, rocks are hard so if they are coated they will scratch down to the metal, do whatever you think but my advise is to make sure you can easily touch them up if you want them to look good.
Sorry for the sarcasm but the reality for me is a good quality rattle can about every month.

Last edited:
Reactions: sailor96

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

zincnation.com. textured power coat, grip tape,. touch up rattle can at the ready

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have to ask, why not a rattle can?

If there is anything for which a rattle can is appropriate I have to think it is sliders.

I would advise against powder coating. My experience with it is that any little scratch will allow moisture to wick in, but it doesn't wick back out nearly as quickly. Rust develops quite nicely in that environment. Even chips from rocks thrown from your tires will cause this. No offroad activity required.

As has already been said, whatever course you choose have a plan for touching it up over time.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I'd also recommend spray paint, specifically Rustoleum Hammerite over a good primer. As others have mentioned sliders get dinged, and it is not easy to touch up powder coat. Even just driving on a dirt road kicks up enough small rocks that the leading edges of the sliders get abraded over time.

Hammerite is textured and very forgiving when you apply it. I first painted my sliders about 7 years ago and do a touch up yearly to cover any areas where the paint is scratched off. I know multiple other friends who use Hammerite on their sliders and all highly recommend it.

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_sliders

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Rustolium Rust-Stop Hammered and Hammerite, which originally came from the UK are two different products. The biggest difference is that Hammerite doesn't require a primer. IIRC, Hammerite uses crushed glass to add strength to the finish. I painted my rear axle with Hammerite and it's held up really well over the last 17 years. Hammerite comes in hammered as well as smooth finishes. I can never find the stuff though. I'd also consider Rustolium's High-Perfoamce. Painted my gas tank skidplate and dragged it across the Rubicon.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I know you said no rattle can. But that's the route I went. Used bed liner I picked up at Lowes, used about 3 or 4 cans and followed directions. It did a great job with an even covering and has texture so my feet don't slip stepping on them. Cost a fraction of powder coating and looks great. Easy to touchup as well (just a matter of time) since I can simply pick up another can of bed liner.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I can highly recommend a paint from a company I have done business with for decades. The company name is Top Secret Coatings. Their single part marine epoxy is a moisture catalyzing paint that goes on really thin but covers. It gets very hard and is chip and UV resistant. It is so hard that when you sand, what you paint it on is most likely softler. It isn't real cheap but it is well worth it. Do not get it on your hands or you will have to wait for the skin to grow out. Recoating is a snap.

They have it in probably a hundred colors.
https://www.topsecretcoatings.com/collections/topcoat/products/ts-100-silicone-epoxy

Reactions: Boort

family-overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Konstanz, Germany
First Name
phil
Last Name
mädler
Member #

i just coated the upper half of my sliders with Upol Raptor bedliner for some grip, and the lower side is just spraypainted, cause it will be scratched anyways. you can spray the bedliner with some mixed-in gumflakes, or brushpaint it to add some texture.

Gesendet von iPhone mit OB Talk

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Rustolium Rust-Stop Hammered and Hammerite, which originally came from the UK are two different products. The biggest difference is that Hammerite doesn't require a primer. IIRC, Hammerite uses crushed glass to add strength to the finish. I painted my rear axle with Hammerite and it's held up really well over the last 17 years. Hammerite comes in hammered as well as smooth finishes. I can never find the stuff though. I'd also consider Rustolium's High-Perfoamce. Painted my gas tank skidplate and dragged it across the Rubicon.
Good point. I accidentally said "Hammerite" when I meant that I used "Hammered".

- Matt

Reactions: dziner