Travis91

Rank 0

Traveler I

Castaic, CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Shearer
So after being tired of digging through plastic bins to set up my camp kitchen, I decided to copy and make my version of a slide out kitchen. Taking advantage of the fact a new shell is going on my truck it will be made of wood and have space on top for storage accessible through the side window of the shell. So I will do my best to document my progress to help anyone contemplating a similar set up.

*disclaimer- I am far from a carpenter but I do use google heavily

Travis91

Rank 0

Traveler I

Castaic, CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Shearer
So step one was to take some measurements and draw it out. This was my result and is a pretty rough sketch but it gives me a direction I'm happy with.

As I mentioned before there will be a top surface to store our luggage bags that will be easily accessed from the rear or side of a camper shell. It will have 3 separate slide out sections. The first having a flip open storage area in the top, and some smaller drawers. The seconds will be for my coleman camp stove, and fally a flat surface for food prep.

The idea being one self contained kitchen with everything I may need. And a quick set up or take down for a quick meal on the side of the highway or trail.
20200223_154007.jpg

Travis91

Rank 0

Traveler I

Castaic, CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Shearer
The main box and top surface I made from 3/4" sanded plywood. To hold it together I used a combination of glue and pocket hole screws. They work great and the jig is pretty cheap online. I also picked up some heavy duty 40" slides. They aren't the locking type since the cost jumped quite a bit, so I will have another type of locking system. 20200223_141428.jpg20200223_153830.jpg
The box fits pretty well with the overhang making up for the wheel well and it created a new cubby to store items20200223_150954.jpg

Travis91

Rank 0

Traveler I

Castaic, CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Shearer
Got back into the garage finally. It's starting to take shape. The large pull out section will end up having a lid that opens on top and a couple of drawers that pull out. The locking stove slide is done and I have a strap that holds the stove in place. It will have 1 more flat pull out from under the stove that will give a little bit more flat work area. Excited for the progress so far.20200227_161054.jpg

buckman666

Rank 0

Contributor I

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
First Name
hugo
Last Name
chevalier
nice work! in the process of designing a new one for myself too.
question, why the side drawer? why not coffee table kind of opening to the top? for the ease of organisation?
just curious.

nielsdueck

Rank 0

Contributor I

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
First Name
Niels
Last Name
Dueck
Looks like you've been doing a pretty good job! I'll be doing something kind of similar but much more low profile in my bed set up, curious as to what drawer slides you used? Have a link? How do you feel about the strength/quality of them?

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Looks well built! Regarding the stove I was able to take my Coleman stove apart and screw through the bottom to firmly (and cleanly) attach the stove to the board. Just a thought if you didn’t want to use a strap.

I second the coffee table lift suggestion as it allows access and keeps your flat space close by. I almost opted for a flip top originally but then realized I would have to reach all the way across the drawer to access the flat space, which is always premium when out on the trail.

The build looks great and thanks for sharing!

ps- I hate bins as well!

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Regarding the stove I was able to take my Coleman stove apart and screw through the bottom to firmly (and cleanly) attach the stove to the board. Just a thought if you didn’t want to use a strap.
Following too... will be looking to build a kitchen when I eventually get to where I want to be with my rig set-up. I'd probably want to go with a strap to hold the stove rather then screw it down in case I wanted to take the stove outside, to a table or something like that. I realize the slide will pull the stove outside of the truck but I still think I'd like to keep that option open.

I'll be looking to built up something for a 6.5' bed to include a storage spot for a porta potty. I am also thinking about adjusting the height of mine to allow for space underneath to slide three storage bins in along the length of the "kitchen". And... on top of all that I want to see if I can squeeze a refrigerator into that space somehow.

If @Michael would show us his finished product on his deck build for the back of his rig maybe we would have more ideas on how to finish out ours. :laughing:

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I'm really digging it! What's your plan for the gas hook up? Remote mounted gas tank?

steelheadbum

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Tak
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6PAZ
Nice my man, I'm liking your ideas. Also brainstorming my own home kitchen in the back as well.

Travis91

Rank 0

Traveler I

Castaic, CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Shearer
Sorry it's been a while but this covid-19 is killing my ability to work on projects. Downside of my job is while everyone else got weeks off work I got more hours. Anyways I was able to get a day in the garage to knock this out. I have a roof top tent showing up on monday and needed space to work on the frame for the bed mount.

To speed things up I cut out the drawers for now. Just put a door on the front side. Made a lid for the top so there is a shallower storage area accessible from the top. Then I stained it all. The only thing it needs is some mount locations on the outer box and I'll use some small ratchet straps to some extra tie down points I added to the bed. I'll get pictures of those soon.
The strap is so I can move the stove easily if need be. The small gas bottles will still hook up and I have a few of those lying around. I also have a hose to hook up to a bigger tank.

The drawer slides are off amazon. Just dont get the made in China ones and make sure they are rated for 1.5% what you think you max weight will be and you should be good.
20200411_145855.jpg20200411_150106.jpg

Travis91

Rank 0

Traveler I

Castaic, CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Shearer
So i finally got to finish this project. Sure took longer than I first expected. So these are the mounts I chose for the bed. One at each of the four corners. What's nice its they detach and the part that remains behind is not taller than the head of the bed bolts. 20200422_135155.jpg20200422_135200.jpg
Add a couple of rathect straps and I dont think it is going anywhere. Once the box is mounted it still sits under my bed cover, which is nice in the event of bad weather. And when It pulls out it hangs well past the tailgate so everything is easy to reach and I have the tailgate as a work surface. I'm going to give it a try this weekend on a quick overnight we have planned to try out the new roof top tent.20200422_140113.jpg

Drew Toner

Rank II

Enthusiast I

McLennan, AB, Canada
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Toner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6NAR
So i finally got to finish this project. Sure took longer than I first expected. So these are the mounts I chose for the bed. One at each of the four corners. What's nice its they detach and the part that remains behind is not taller than the head of the bed bolts. View attachment 150780View attachment 150781
View attachment 150782
Hello Travis91, those bed mounts are pretty cool! Could be useful for securing all kinds of stuff. Where did you find them, and what is the brand name?
Very nice kitchen btw, I'll do a similar project for my new ranger, when ever I finally get it!!
Drew

Reactions: RoarinRow

BlackbeardZC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ohio
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Cain
Member #

Very cool idea! I might have to “steal” it from you when I finally get a truck! Lol

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Very cool idea! I might have to “steal” it from you when I finally get a truck! Lol
They're called round anchor tie downs. You can do a search, pick them up at Lowes, etc.

uscargocontrol.com/2-Round-Anchor-Point-Tie-Down-Kit-Black?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoPL2BRDxARIsAEMm9y8_Kj3cnlkKsMdO1s_7_POYj8beZLGH_I_HP52qCrJnUlFHItzQU0YaAvqQEALw_wcB

Drew Toner

Rank II

Enthusiast I

McLennan, AB, Canada
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Toner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6NAR
They're called round anchor tie downs. You can do a search, pick them up at Lowes, etc.

uscargocontrol.com/2-Round-Anchor-Point-Tie-Down-Kit-Black?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoPL2BRDxARIsAEMm9y8_Kj3cnlkKsMdO1s_7_POYj8beZLGH_I_HP52qCrJnUlFHItzQU0YaAvqQEALw_wcB
Well I was going to order some, but the $143 shipping to Alberta Canada, was a bit steep!! Can you believe that?
Drew