• HTML tutorial

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip next weekend up to two destinations I've wanted to hit for a while: Slick Rock Trail (the easy first part to the camping spot by the creek) and Coral Hollow. I am loosely following this as a guide:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/slick-rock-trail-lake-alpine-ca.427/

Planning on taking a half day on Friday, drive up to the camping spot at Slick Rock for that evening, then tackle Coral Hollow saturday afternoon and camp up there Saturday night. Come back Sunday. Maybe swing by Lake Alpine if there is time.

Here is the tentative itinerary:

Friday 9/15:
1:00 pm - Meet at the Target in Livermore: 4300 Las Positas Rd, Livermore, CA 94551
~ 4:00 pm - arrive at the slick rock trail, make it to the camping spot for that evening

Saturday 9/16
12:00 noon - depart the Slick Rock camp spot and start making our way to the Coral Hollow trail head nearby.

Sunday 9/17
Depart the camp spot whenever we feel is right! Possibility of taking off in the morning and checking out Lake Alpine nearby as well.

I'd love to have some of you guys join! At the moment here is the attendee list:

1. Myself and my girlfriend, Alexis, in my Land Cruiser
2. @R1200gsfan in his 4runner
3. @Budman in his Wrangler

I think we can fit about 7 rigs or so at each camp site. So are there 4 more of you guys who would like to join?

In terms of difficulty, I think the max we're looking at here is a "Blue". We are NOT tackling the difficult part of Slick Rock trail, just going in far enough to get to the nice camp site. I have not been to either of these sites, but from what I understand is any stock 4x4 with good ground clearance will make it.

If anyone wants to do Coral Hollow Saturday, but can't take off on Friday, I'm sure we can find a meeting spot and time Saturday. Just post your details in this thread.

Let me know your thoughts! I can do a Rally Point as well if that's easier.

ntgbrl

Rank II

Advocate II

Cool! I assume you mean meet at the slick rock camp site Friday night?

please RSVP to the rally point so we have an accurate headcount.
RSVP'd

Yes, ill meet everyone late Friday night at the Slick Rock camp. I assume the camp location is at the end of the Google Maps route ( 38.460437, -120.005074 )

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

RSVP'd

Yes, ill meet everyone late Friday night at the Slick Rock camp. I assume the camp location is at the end of the Google Maps route ( 38.460437, -120.005074 )
Yes as far as I can tell, that's the good camp spot. I've personally never been, so I'm going off of verbal reports, photos, and google satellites. It's basically a 1/4 mile down the slick rock trail near the creek. Right before it starts getting really challenging.

PM me your cell number as I think we should have cell service up there.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Yes as far as I can tell, that's the good camp spot. I've personally never been, so I'm going off of verbal reports, photos, and google satellites. It's basically a 1/4 mile down the slick rock trail near the creek. Right before it starts getting really challenging.

PM me your cell number as I think we should have cell service up there.
Are you guys planing to camp at the Lake Alpine (north) end of the trail or the Utica Reservoir (south) end of the trail? I ask because there are campsites about 1/4 mile in from each end and both are near creeks. To get the one on the south end you start the trail and go about 1/4 mile until you cross a bridge, then there are campsite options to both the left and right. That first section of trail has some fun rocky sections, but the difficult parts don't start until after the campsites. In fact if you walk up the trail for 5-10 mins from the campsite you can see the hardest obstacle. There are also many camping options around Utica, Union, and Spicer Reservoirs. If you are going to the campsite on the north side then it is an easy drive down from Lake Alpine. If you go drive past that campsite for a bit you'll get to the top of the steep granite "slick rock" section which is worth checking out.

Cell service (ATT) on the south side of the trail is limited, but you can usually get a bar or two in the staging area before the start of the trail.

Here's the campsite on the south side, to the left after you cross the bridge.

And here are the "hot tubs" near the campsite on the north side.

- Matt

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

Are you guys planing to camp at the Lake Alpine (north) end of the trail or the Utica Reservoir (south) end of the trail? I ask because there are campsites about 1/4 mile in from each end and both are near creeks. To get the one on the south end you start the trail and go about 1/4 mile until you cross a bridge, then there are campsite options to both the left and right. That first section of trail has some fun rocky sections, but the difficult parts don't start until after the campsites. In fact if you walk up the trail for 5-10 mins from the campsite you can see the hardest obstacle. There are also many camping options around Utica, Union, and Spicer Reservoirs. If you are going to the campsite on the north side then it is an easy drive down from Lake Alpine. If you go drive past that campsite for a bit you'll get to the top of the steep granite "slick rock" section which is worth checking out.

Cell service (ATT) on the south side of the trail is limited, but you can usually get a bar or two in the staging area before the start of the trail.

- Matt
Thanks for all the info, Matt! We will be going from the Lake Alpine side as we will be going from there to the Corral Hollow trail head on Saturday.