Sleeping setups in rig

• HTML tutorial

tzoller

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anyone sleep in their vehicle? Not rtt but literally in the vehicle? I am considering making a platform but wanted inspiration first.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: dziner

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

A lot of people here make platforms to level out the interior. Also allows for drawers to be placed underneath for storage. Then use a good air mattress or foam pad for comfort and sleeping bags and you are good to go!

Reactions: MBroenkow

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@tzoller

I sleep in the bed of my Tacoma quite often. I put in a simple raised platform over 15 years ago. Hard to tell from your pic if you are running a T4r or a truck either can have a deck that will allow you to sleep in the back and store items underneath.

Boort

Reactions: dziner

tzoller

Rank 0

Traveler I

A lot of people here make platforms to level out the interior. Also allows for drawers to be placed underneath for storage. Then use a good air mattress or foam pad for comfort and sleeping bags and you are good to go!
That's what I was thinking just wanted to see some visuals

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

In my 5th gen t4r with the slide out cargo tray, you can put the rear seats down and get a flat sleeping surface. for padding I throw in my bi-fold workout mat which is firm and thick. Of course, the sleeping bag goes on top of that with a self-inflating pillow. I haven't slept in the rig for a while; kinda miss it. Maybe I'll sleep in the rig out in the driveway tonight :)

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I sleep in the back of my 4Runner anytime my wife and daughter don't come on a trip. It saves a lot of setup time, and if it rains or snows I don't have to worry about packing wet gear. The downside is that there is not much headroom.

My sleeping platform is a cargo drawer with an extension out over the rear seat. This results in a flat sleeping area about 6.5' long. I made some screened window inserts to allow for ventilation.

I've used this setup for several years and it works great.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I sleep in the cab of my Crew Cab Frontier when my wife doesn't come along. I pull the head rest off the passenger seat, flip it down and then roll my sleeping pad out.

Magnets and some window screen material and I am set.

Reactions: Rocky and Tinker

Faolchu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

New York
Member #

I can sleep anywhere and in just about any condition...I spend anywhere from 6 to 10 hours a day on the road so I often will sleep right in my drivers seat for little naps if needed I'll put the back seats down and sleep in the back, I keep a lightweight sleeping bag, little pillow, and a blanket in the back so I can be comfortable enough if sleeping for a few hours or overnight.

Reactions: Explore Maine

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I rigged up these screens and curtains from a cheap black sheet in my JKU for a trip last week. I used the magnet trick on the rear windows, though magnets are on the inside, and paracord strung through my MBRP roof rack mounts on the hard top windows. Right now I just have the "curtains" clipped to the paracord, but they worked so well, I'll hem them up and keep them pushed aside for driving.

I like that it's limo black from the outside if I have to be in civilization yet can sleep with the windows cracked for ventilation without bugs, though I think I'll sew magnet pockets in the screens so every thing stays in one spot when I remove them.

Attachments

Reactions: Jennifer Langille

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Those window net/shades are a life saver during these warmer months when you're sleeping in the cab! I use these with a handful of lil magnets along the bottom edge to keep out the really determined bugs:
I'm planning to improve cooling further by building a bracket that'll pinch into a partially opened window to hold a row of IP67 computer fans. If I direct them to pull from the interior on just 1 side it ought to create a nice cross flow. And they have such a low profile that I could tuck them away on the headliner & save space vs bulky battery-powered fans. I'd imagine the low current draw @12volts would integrate perfectly with a solar system.