Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

Starting to get into overlanding and camping this spring. I’ll be bringing along my wife and 2 y/o. I’ve been working on the packing list and things are going well except when it come to the sleeping situation. Last time we went out we used an air mattress and it felt like we were sleeping in a bounce house. We were miserable the whole night and none of us got good sleep. Will be sleeping in a large tent so space is not an issue, I just want to try and be comfortable. I’ve been looking at options like a sleeping pad. My question is are there any other options besides spending 3-400 dollars on a decent sleeping pad big enough for two and a half people? What are some of the options you guys are using?

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Is space isn't an issue... There's always cots. I use a Byer of Maine EasyCot and have a 1.5" memory foam pad that I have cut to size and sleep very good. Even before I had the memory foam with it I slept very good.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Starting to get into overlanding and camping this spring. I’ll be bringing along my wife and 2 y/o. I’ve been working on the packing list and things are going well except when it come to the sleeping situation. Last time we went out we used an air mattress and it felt like we were sleeping in a bounce house. We were miserable the whole night and none of us got good sleep. Will be sleeping in a large tent so space is not an issue, I just want to try and be comfortable. I’ve been looking at options like a sleeping pad. My question is are there any other options besides spending 3-400 dollars on a decent sleeping pad big enough for two and a half people? What are some of the options you guys are using?

If you don't mind me asking what air mattress did you use. I use and Intex that has a topper built in. I'm a side sleeper, so its hard for me to get comfortable on most air mattresses. This mattress is amazing. Its a little pricey for an air mattress, but nothing too crazy. Queen was about 139 I believe. I also like that the plastic doesn't stretch and it has flat edges like a real bed, so the sides are flat not rounded so you get full use of the bed and not rolling off or with the no stretch you don't end up on the ground at 2am lol I hope this helped a little bit.

Reactions: RainGoat and Arailt

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I HATE air mattresses and have never slept on one that I’ve found comfortable. They all feel like a bounce house to me. I have a couple of military style cots from Byer which were a huge improvement over sleeping on the ground (even with a sleeping pad) and even an air mattress. Our RTT mattress was an improvement over the cots. We have the Tepui luxury mattress that has a layer of memory foam. On top of that he put a comforter and sheets that we sleep on top of and then a sheet and comforter on top of us (depending on sleeping temperatures). The key I’ve found to a comfortable night is to make it as bed-like as possible to include a couple of full sized pillows.

9F8ECE4C-B10D-4ED5-A68E-C98D5BE20D07.jpeg

With space not being an issue, id recommend finding a pad much like a RTT mattress as your base and build it up from there with bedding.

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Yeah, probably the "air bed" type air mattresses would be a possibility, as BL Overland mentioned. I believe they make some large size cots, however they almost invariably have a bar down the middle, so single cots might be a better option.

Reactions: RainGoat

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Give up the idea of having everyone on same mattress. There is no need for this and it becomes a practical challenge and limited choices with no or small gain in comfort.

Backpacking style gear is aplenty, like the self inflating Therm-a-Rest style mats. This is what wife and I have (she says it is more comfortable than home):
https://www.rei.com/product/896042/therm-a-rest-luxury-map-sleeping-pad

For the kid, should be firm anyways, their bones are soft, comfort is not needed, I would recommend a basic closed-cell foam pad.
proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
It would sit lower, tucks in space between you two, and it avoids kid migration at night. Or any used thin backpacking mat you can find - anything would work!

If cost sensitive, look for used, craigslist, markets ...

Last edited:

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

After years of various sleep systems, from air mattresses to thermarests and everything in between, I was lucky enough to receive an Exped MegaMat Duo as a gift. It is incredible, and honestly more comfortable than my current home bed. It IS expensive, no question, but 2 quality individual pads will run pretty close to that anyway. And, I don't think you'll ever get that kind of comfort with an air mattress/air bed. I've used lots of those, and though some are better than others, nothing touches the MegaMat.

Next option I'd suggest are cots. They can be very comfy, and the storage you get under them is really nice... They are usually bulky and heavy, though, to some degree.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

If you have room for them, Home Depot sells 3" memory foam pads (24"x72") for $25/ea. They work quite well but take up a lot of room because they don't roll up tight. This could be a stop-gap measure until you figure out what you really want to do long term.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Future-Foam-3-in-Thick-Multi-Purpose-Foam-10030BULK3/203837114?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|VF|D23|23-2_CARPETING|NA|PLA|71700000033393850|58700004413536484|92700037075139627&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkE1dQP3P54TwcQYVC0JIEsHMJhDkat7JGn_t6cdTTAdHsyIzodIGAcaAgmcEALw_wcB

Reactions: RainGoat

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I wonder if there are benefits to pairing back from our civilized quest for comfort bedding. On my to-do list is to try sleeping on a firm surface. Carpet at home, yoga mat, that sort of thing. I’m being told it will take a few nights to get used to it, but then things are great.

Just for reference, some posture ideas:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119282/
Unless you plan on changing out your mattress at home I don't see a benefit. Sleeping on a hard surface for a night or 2 while camping can be seriously debilitating due to lack of quality sleep and pain that lingers for days afterward. This is particularly true for side sleepers like me with very little hip padding.... This can lead to safety issues due to driving while drowsy or agitated because of pain.

If you are planning on long-term overlanding like Venture4wd or typical vanlife then learning to sleep comfortably on harder than normal surfaces makes sense but if you're just out for a couple of nights then going back to your plush pillow-top mattress at home then why subject yourself to abuse? lol

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Our system when are are staying in a base camp for a few days, we use those high density foam interlocking mats. This is the first layer. Have used them since our son was 4. Gives us a soft floor for when we are rain bound. It also works as a soft insulated base.
Over that goes individual mattresses. We are currently using a pad from Ecotek. Each of us has sleeping bags. If it is cold we bring blankets, heck if it is hot we bring blankets cause sometimes they are just more comfortable than sleeping bags.

We do not always bring the squares if we need to be extra mobile.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/trafficmaster-tm-46x93-rolled-foam-grey-mat/1000810714

Reactions: Scout and JCWages

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Our system when are are staying in a base camp for a few days, we use those high density foam interlocking mats. This is the first layer. Have used them since our son was 4. Gives us a soft floor for when we are rain bound. It also works as a soft insulated base.
Over that goes individual mattresses. We are currently using a pad from Ecotek. Each of us has sleeping bags. If it is cold we bring blankets, heck if it is hot we bring blankets cause sometimes they are just more comfortable than sleeping bags.

We do not always bring the squares if we need to be extra mobile.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/trafficmaster-tm-46x93-rolled-foam-grey-mat/1000810714

On my DECKED drawer platform I also use that type of interlocking mat seeing how I don't need them under my weight bench much anymore..lol. On top of those I use the Alps Mountaineering 2 1/2" self inflating mats. They have velcro down the sides so its easy to make a truck bed sized bed. However, Im thinking of ordering 2 more so as to stack or go to a RTT style mattress for a bit more comfort.. My question to that though is, how rollable/storable are those types of mattress? I don't want to leave the bed set up at all times while driving the trails due to dust,dirt getting inside the bed area..