Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I have been planning this from the day I saw the ad for my truck on line. I got most of the supplies last week and built it this weekend. It is still in the rough stages and I have some finishing touches and clean up to do, but it is about 90% done.
I wanted a sleep platform that would allow me to do several things:
1. Not loose any of the functionality of the Suburban, still seat 5, still be able to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood, etc.
2. I wanted to be able to store all my gear for a weekend or a week under the platform.
3. It had to be able to fit a full size mattress.
4. Allow an area for cooking/working.
5. Not cost me an arm and a leg.

I think I have met all of my goals so far. I also have the option in the future to add drawer slides if I want to.
The platform is made from 2 sheets of 3/4 ply. It is 10in tall and the top surface is a full 4x8 feet. When folded down I can get 4x8 sheets of plywood on the top. Not shown in the pictures because I swapped it out is the rear lift up panel now has a full piano hinge.
This rear lift up panel is hinged at the end of the mattress so I can still lift it up with the mattress in place. I still need to add a prop rod to keep it open.
Under the platform I have a storage are 4 feet wide, 8 feet long and 9 1/4in high. This is large enough for a Pelican 1600 case to fit with room to spare.
The whole platform is bolted to the wheel wells so it can't move or shift. The rear lift up panel is locked in place by the rear doors so in the even of a roll over the platform and its contents will not go anywhere. The front is pinned to the rear seats and also not going anywhere.
I like that it gives me secure storage inside the truck, but also keeps it down low and above the rear axle. This is a 3/4 ton so it can haul a lot of weight over the axle.
The future will be getting it painted to match the interior, adding some power outlets and maybe in the distant future some large drawer slides.

As for the rear door, I liked how the Land Cruisers have a kit to open up the tail gate and use it for storage. My doors are a barn style door and so slightly different, but I thought I could still use that area. I removed the carpet panel and cut out the sheet-metal behind it. I then added some shelves and sides to give me storage for cooking stuff, spices, dry food, etc. I am going to do the other door also and may put recovery gear in that one.
I don't have pictures of it yet, but I did paint the inside area with Plastidip and I made a fold down work table/door for it.

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Here are a few more pictures. As you can see I added a strip of Aluminum to the bottom of the back seats to support the platform when fully folded down. The pin (will get keepers soon) hold the front in place so it does not slip and supports the weight. It also keeps it down in case of roll over.
The rear door storage area can be seen with the table/door on it. It is held closed with Neodymium magnets. When the door is closed the platform ensures that the door can't come open while driving rough roads.
It is painted with Plastidip to help keep things from sliding and reduce noise.
Again, should I ever want to go back to stock, the rear carpet panel I removed will cover it all up and look like new.

Attachments