Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Hi,
Im looking for recommendations. We have a sleeping platform in the 4runner. We will be camping in it for the first time in June in the Cascades WA. What are people using for sleeping system when sleeping inside? My Mrs runs cold generally. We would prefer a quilt/duvet over a sleeping bag. But would consider a bag. Requirements comfy and not something that packs down huge.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have found either a dense comforter or a non-foam mattress pad is quite effective at being comfortable without getting too hot. Plus, you have a nice comforter to bundle up in later if you need. My wife and I have gotten some excellent sleep just laying on big puffy blankets and a cotton-filler mattress pad. The main downside is cost (we pulled the $150 pad and $100 comforter off our king-sized bed, so it was feee heh), and storage size, as implied above.

Another good option would probably be a foam mattress pad, which are often a good bit cheaper than the previous option (i.e. and 2" full-sized foam pad for $25 or $30, as opposed to 100+).

If you like memory foam, they can be good, but they can get pretty firm in the winter.

There are times when I am happy to rough it and sleep on the hard ground on a wool blanket. But, usually when I'm sleeping in a vehicle is when I am going for a little more comfort for the wife, and thus I have been willing to sacrifice a bit more space to ensure that basic physical comfort.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Foam can get pricey. But totally worth it long term. Go to Joanns crafts store and pick up one of those thick foam pads. We ordered our foam mattress from foam factory. (Custom cut). Reccomend going with a 5" thick + medium stiffness.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Ok I have an inflatable mattress that may fit. We have used it for ground camping and it was pretty comfortable. We just need options for sleeping bags and comforters. All of the outdoor specific ones are crazy rices. But they do seem to pack smaller.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Heavy expedition winter bags. I use 2 plus a lighter 3 season bag and just layer according to the temperature.
More concerned about comfort than being compact we sleep on a full size mattress.
Which was the main reason for building the trailer.

DSC_0057 3.jpeg

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

For cold weather, I use the oversized Teton 0 degree bag. Very warm, very comfortable, very bulky, and very heavy. This bag is used in my camping van which has plenty of room. I restrict camping out of the back of my LX to milder weather. In both rigs, I use self-inflatable pads. I forget the brand but I was able to find a 25x60" for the LX as all I do is tumble the second row seats forward so have a short space to sleep in. Mostly solved by sleeping on the diagonal.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I use a blanket spread over my mattress, and in cold weather I have a 20 degree Big Agnes bag, with another old bag unzipped over the top. In warm weather, I either use a 40 degree Big Agnes bag or just the old unzipped bag. If it’s really hot, I just have a cotton bed sheet. All the bags are down, and I usually use a cotton bag liner. FA4D356A-EA16-4721-9090-09468EF9645F.jpeg

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Hi,
Im looking for recommendations. We have a sleeping platform in the 4runner. We will be camping in it for the first time in June in the Cascades WA. What are people using for sleeping system when sleeping inside? My Mrs runs cold generally. We would prefer a quilt/duvet over a sleeping bag. But would consider a bag. Requirements comfy and not something that packs down huge.
If it was me I’d buy a memory foam of proffered thickness and cut it to fit the car properly, put a sheet over it and blankets on top

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I picked up one of these and use it when I am doing enroute stops for the night. I read and watch Brad's "TrailRecon" review on it that he used in his RTT. It has worked great for me in the Jeep or on the cot. It's 3 inch memory foam and you can get it up to 4" and in twin to king sizes.

Reactions: SNO-RNR

Shone

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas
First Name
Shone
Last Name
Doville
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5OWJ
I've been using a down sleeping bag as a comforter and a 3" nemo inflatable backpackers pad over closed cell foam squares.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

SNO-RNR,
I just finished camping this weekend up by Mount Rainier, in my 99’ 4Runner! I am 6’ tall and it was just me and my dog. What I do, I took the back seat bottom cushion off on the passenger side, had the back seat backs down flat, and used my Therma-rest self inflating air mattress, with a sleeping bag. I have two sleeping bags that can be zipped together. This time of year I just use the one over the top of me. The space behind the passenger back seat I stuff clothes and a jacket to fill up that space and have my pillow on it. Oh, and I do not use a sleeping platform. I like to be able to sit up and have plenty of headroom.. Remember to have a window or the sunroof open some to vent the moisture from your breath, while sleeping. Want some ideas on where to go camping? PM me for more information. I put up some pictures in the thread, “Daily check in” here under the general posts. Vance.

Reactions: SNO-RNR

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Depends on what you mean by huge, but I have Better Habitat foam mattress from Amazon that I apparently can’t post a link to here.

It’s kinda bulky but comes in a bag which makes storage a little easier. It’s a bit spendy too, but very comfortable. Perfect for the back of my truck anyway.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
4" foam, tri-fold mattress. Queen size for the back of the Tundra, probably have to go a little smaller for the back of the Taco. Also use it on the floor of the tent.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

How about a super cheap way? I stole the 6in Memory foam mattress from my guest bedroom and put it in the back of the suburban with all the bedding, it is a full size. Most will not the space for this, but you may be able to use a twin if it is just you. The bedding is just sheets, blanket, and comforter from the same guest bedroom. I have to put is back soon though, we have visitors coming.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Helinox Lite Cot and any cover you prefer. It packs really, really small, sets up and tears down in two minutes. I don't like mattresses fulltime as it consumes way too much room, to bulky and for only a couple hours of use is a hassle to work and pack around.

Or a quality insulated air mattress is a great option. Easy inflate, deflate and your not sacrificing packing room. Exped also makes exceptional double wide insulated options.

Last edited: