Sleeping in a Silverado Bed

• HTML tutorial

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

I'm on the road right now, heading towards Alaska, in my '13 Silverado 1500 with a 6.5 foot bed. I've been tent camping most nights but I would really like to set up the bed for sleeping.

I only have 1 problem; I don't fit. At just shy of 6'6" I'm a pretty big guy and I take up a lot of space. If I'm going to sleep in the back of my truck I would have to leave the tailgate down which would be less than ideal.

I know an XL roof top tent is the obvious solution, but even the cheap ones are spendy and I would like to avoid the extra weight.

Are there any options out there for some sort of bed extender that can enclose the tailgate?

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I'm assuming you don't mind that the bed is open to the environment correct? If you want a tent setup for your bed Truck Tents makes a tent that will work with your rig with the tailgate down. You can also sleep diagonally. The truck tent is under 250.00 dollars and takes about 15 min to get it up.... They also make a nice air mattress

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I too was gonna say sleep diagonally, BUT have you thought of getting an 8 foot bed [emoji23]

Do you want the actual solidness of having the tailgate up, or would you be satisfied with a cage? They make truck bed extenders that are perfect for holding coolers at the tailgate when they're flipped in and when you let the gate down, they flip out to make the bed a foot and a half longer (although I don't suggest treating the tailgate like it's as study as the floor of the bed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

I'm assuming you don't mind that the bed is open to the environment correct? If you want a tent setup for your bed Truck Tents makes a tent that will work with your rig with the tailgate down. You can also sleep diagonally. The truck tent is under 250.00 dollars and takes about 15 min to get it up.... They also make a nice air mattress
I've currently got a soft tonneau cover on the bed, but it looks like the truck tents wouldn't interfere with the cover when it's rolled up behind the cab. I'm not in love with the idea of setting up a tent in the back of the truck every night. My ground tent is simple, 4 stakes, one pole and I'm done, the truck tents look a bit more complicated.

A few years back I had a Suburban, and I slept in the back of it a few times, diagonally. I never did feel comfortable like that. Having my feet wedged into a corner felt odd. Since I'm going be living in this truck for awhile, I am going to have to make it as comfortable for me as possible.

I checked out your rig @Raul B. I really like the Decked setup you have.

I too was gonna say sleep diagonally, BUT have you thought of getting an 8 foot bed [emoji23]

Do you want the actual solidness of having the tailgate up, or would you be satisfied with a cage? They make truck bed extenders that are perfect for holding coolers at the tailgate when they're flipped in and when you let the gate down, they flip out to make the bed a foot and a half longer (although I don't suggest treating the tailgate like it's as study as the floor of the bed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app
I am ok with the tailgate being down. I sleep in a tent most nights anyway. As long as I can keep the rain and wind off of me, I'm happy.