Sleeping Gear

• HTML tutorial

What sleeping gear do you use for overlanding? (Select all that apply)

• Sleeping Bag

Votes: 52 91.2%
  • Blankets

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Air Mattress

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Sleeping Pad

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Mattress Pad

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Cot

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Hammock

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Pine Needles and/or Leaves (I'm a survivalist, blankets are for the weak)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dirt (I've had a few too many and can't find my tent)

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

What gear combination do you use for sleeping when you're on the trail?
(Attached poll has unlimited selection options.)

New Mexico is subject to some pretty crazy temperature swings in the spring and fall so we opt to use a layered approach of sheets, micro fiber blanket, thick down blanket, and an extra thick sleeping back we can pull out when it gets into the 30's.

The sleeping platform is just as important as your blankets since most body heat is lost through what you're in contact with, be it the ground, air mattress, or rooftop tent floor. We installed some extra insulation on our RTT floor and found we stay 100% warmer now that the aluminum frame can't suck away our heat as fast.

(Back when we used an air mattress in our ground tent, we found that a thick mattress pad made a huge difference in retaining body heat as well.)

Reactions: Luis Merlo
E

expeditionnorth

Here in VT I prefer my hammock, even slept in it during the winter months (think cocoon)
if we use a tent its with an air mattress
mostly its my hammock with a self inflating pad
used an old army cot once & thought it was the worst

have you ever used the thermacare heating pads? I find they keep you exceptionally warm ~
I have one of those tent heaters but always fear it if I cant get adequate air flow, maybe that'd help you as well

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Here in VT I prefer my hammock, even slept in it during the winter months (think cocoon)
if we use a tent its with an air mattress
mostly its my hammock with a self inflating pad
used an old army cot once & thought it was the worst

have you ever used the thermacare heating pads? I find they keep you exceptionally warm ~
I have one of those tent heaters but always fear it if I cant get adequate air flow, maybe that'd help you as well
Now that's hardcore. Kudos to you! Doubt I could talk the wife into a hammock ;)

We use the Buddy Heater in conjunction with the RTT annex when it dips below 30. We can maintain 65-70 degrees up top by putting the heater down below and leaving the doors open. The buddy heater is tip-proof and has a low O2 sensor. We still keep a couple windows cracked just in case.

Reactions: expeditionnorth
E

expeditionnorth

Now that's hardcore. Kudos to you! Doubt I could talk the wife into a hammock ;)

We use the Buddy Heater in conjunction with the RTT annex when it dips below 30. We can maintain 65-70 degrees up top by putting the heater down below and leaving the doors open. The buddy heater is tip-proof and has a low O2 sensor. We still keep a couple windows cracked just in case.
I nearly froze my arse off that night LOL

I think it was on expo I seen a heater that had a hose with a fan that blew the warm air into the RTT for folks
not sure if you could build something like that

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

Not having the cold to consider...on our recent OTGR campover, It was just my boy and I...I opened up one sleeping bag completely... almost covered the entire floor of the small dome tent, we had a sleeping bag each, a couple of blankets and pillows and we were set !DSCN0405.JPG

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I like to use a two ground pads and a mummy bag
A cheap foam pad on bottom helps take out some rocks or roughness in the ground and then a self inflating camp pad is the second layer. Its slim enough that its not squishy so i don't have issues rolling off of it. Its like having a boxspring and mattress in your tent without actually having a boxspring or a mattress.
When im on a backpacking trip i skip the pads and jsut go with a sheet or sleeping bag depending on temperature.
On some occasions i like to put my sleeping bag near the fire and sleep on the ground and watch the sky as the fire burns out.

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

We use a cot with a wool blanket buffer between the cot and sleeping bag then another wool blanket on top of the sleeping bag with a fleece blanket to cover your shoulders and head. This gets me into the 20's with a 50 degree rated bag. Our wool blankets are military surplus. Cost us about $30 for all 4 of them. This year I will be making my own version of the rumple blanket with fleece on one side. I am trying to get away from my sleeping bag in the summer months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I double duty my hiking gear. It's less than 4lbs for the whole system, and would fit into a cast iron stove. Here it is setup next to the Jeep in a very tiny designated camping spot. Unfortunately I don't have an pics of the inside, but I use a Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag with a Thermarest XLite and a Nemo Hornet 2P tent.

IMG_3365.jpg

Reactions: britz

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

What gear combination do you use for sleeping when you're on the trail?
(Attached poll has unlimited selection options.)

New Mexico is subject to some pretty crazy temperature swings in the spring and fall so we opt to use a layered approach of sheets, micro fiber blanket, thick down blanket, and an extra thick sleeping back we can pull out when it gets into the 30's.

The sleeping platform is just as important as your blankets since most body heat is lost through what you're in contact with, be it the ground, air mattress, or rooftop tent floor. We installed some extra insulation on our RTT floor and found we stay 100% warmer now that the aluminum frame can't suck away our heat as fast.

(Back when we used an air mattress in our ground tent, we found that a thick mattress pad made a huge difference in retaining body heat as well.)
I was caught in an ice storm going from Central TX to Phoenix AZ when we detoured through the NM mountains. 18 F()*&ing degrees in APRIL!! One of my worst motorcycle moments.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Usually just a pad a sleeping bag. I'd like to try a hammock, but it seems like you need a decent amount of gear to keep warm in the colder months (here in Michigan, that could be anytime between November and April/May). I'm planning a trip north in April and am thinking I will acquire a buddy heater before then.

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

If I am near my truck then I am car camping in the RTT. Inside of it is a bunch of sheets/blankets/pillows - its super glamorous.
If I am backpacking then it is the small tent if its less than 4 days, over 4 days I go with the hammock.
Otherwise the hammock is just used for the routine catnap.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Silk sleep sack, Sea-to-Summit Reactor extreme, mummy sleeping bag, and SOL escape bivvy. Sleeping pad and a tent always. The others depend on the cold.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I was caught in an ice storm going from Central TX to Phoenix AZ when we detoured through the NM mountains. 18 F()*&ing degrees in APRIL!! One of my worst motorcycle moments.
Been there - almost. I did a trip around the country on the R1200GS. I was in Williamsburg when Hurricane Ida came in at the same time as a noreaster? I'd planned to go south, but between nature and plans, nature pretty much always wins. I headed west to Ashville, then over the Great Smokey Mountains NP. When I got to Gatlinburg, I checked into the Best Western. On the news that night I saw the parking lot where my bike had been parked a few days early - under about 8 feet of water. If I remember correctly, it was early-mid November
Continuing west I linked up with US 40 west. When I hit Amarillo, it was 26 degrees and pretty much stayed there until I hit CA. I looked a lot like the Michelin Man. Thermal shirt, Gerbins heated jacket, a too small fleece vest that pressed the heated jacket in nice and snug, Fleece Jacket, Motorcycle Jacket, and a Gortex Shell. I finally taped a doubled up microfiber towel around the bottom of the helmet to keep the cold out, The Buff and turtleneck weren't cutting it. Every time I stopped for coffee, which was fairly often, it was a comedy routine getting out of all that stuff.
I thought 26 was nuts, 18 must have sucked.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Been there - almost.
I thought 26 was nuts, 18 must have sucked.
When we stopped ice broke off our boots. I never felt so cold. I've ridden through torrential downpours, wind storms, wildfire smoke (which is probably the most scared I've ever been in my bleeding life) and I still wouldn't trade it for anything. Every bad moment is an opportunity to learn and better yourself. As long as you survive. my collection of gear has also become quite expansive.

Reactions: Vincent Keith

JusCampin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Roseville, California
Member #

I'm currently using a Teton Somnia Ultralight cot (with 2 legs) that fits around the wheel well in my truck bed. I have a 2.5" thick Slumberjack self-inflating sleeping pad on top of that for insulation and extra cushioning. Sleeping bag is an older Slumberjack 20 degree modified mummy bag. For cooler nights I use a Therm-a-rest Tech Blanket on top of the sleeping bag. And if it get crazy cold I have two wool blankets on hand. The layering system works well here. I recently picked up a Therm-a-rest pillow (large size) to replace my old full size pillow. I'm really happy with this whole setup.

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

When going out for the weekend or on an extended trip and staying in One place the whole time (base camp) it all about luxury for my wife and I (glamping). Now I have spent many nights sleeping in a beach chair or on my 4 runner under the stars but a good nights sleep is key anymore. Pic was from last weekend on a 3 night trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Self inflating mattress pad with a sleeping bag "quilt style" draped over me or in the case of snow cave camping I switch to 1-2 closed cell/absolute foam pads for better heat retention.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

For overlanding we have a custom 3" foam bed in our Rover that's quite comfy. For camping/backpacking we use either Big Agnes or Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads paired with Mid-Atlantic Mountain Gear quilts. Quilts take a bit of getting used to since they're not like a traditional bag, but they still keep you plenty warm. Quilts are also get for overlanding since they don't take up a lot of space, are very light, and warm.