Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have two mummy bags that are both 30 degree bags I believe. I've had these for almost 20 years and they work ok by myself in warmer weather. But I now have a dog (25 lb. cockapoo) who camps with me. And when it gets cold, I pull him in the bag with me (we both enjoy this). The mummy bags just aren't cutting it though. I end up tangled up with the zipper to some weird angle and usually part of my body out of the bag while the pup tries to get comfortable.

There are so many sleeping bags on the market. I'm wondering if anyone else has used a sleeping bag that has room for both you and your canine companion in colder temperatures. Something that packs up light, but is flexible and warm.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I've found that mummy bags are an acquired taste over the years. Depending on the weather, sleep situation, and preference, I almost always have my 40 degree ultralight mummy bag. packs down to the size of a chipotle burrito and has served me well over the last 10 years. I have also used a lightweight blanket, camping quilt, and the standard sleeping bags before on trips. Since I usually crash out in the back of my WJ, it's all depending on the temp as I am very comfortable in the back. If I'm in a tent or a hammock, that's a different story. For my pup, since we crash in the back of the WJ, he has a dedicated roadtrip pillow and I usually have a blanket for him. I have used the heavier rectangular bags in years past and they work ok with a smaller dog. Might look at getting a double bag or zipping 2 bags together if they're the rectangular style.

Reactions: dziner

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I have a range of all kinds of sleeping bags. 3 mummy bags... 0 degrees, 20 degree and a 40 degree...all of which can be packed into stuff sacks and compressed into crazy tight balls. I also have a couple silk liner bags that can be used for those not so cold nights or add 10 degrees more warmth to any of my above bags if need be. Then there are the not so compact sleeping bags that are traditional rectangular, wide and flannel lined...you can even take two of them and zip them together to make a super cozy bag for two...with room for that middle of the night party crasher that has to get in between things if you know what I mean. I also have plenty of 80-100% wool queen blankets that can be folded to make very warm sleeping arrangements...these doubled as toppers for the kids on the really cold nights. Wool really retains the body heat and can be flipped off if it get to under the there. Hope that helps.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I use the spoon-shaped Nemo. I love the Thermo Gills that let me regulate the temperature. If you go this direction, get the long version, it will provide a little more room for your Dog to get comfortable. This bag is great, packs small, and really is comfortable. I never liked traditional mummy bags, but this design helps me sleep much better at night.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I use the spoon-shaped Nemo. I love the Thermo Gills that let me regulate the temperature. If you go this direction, get the long version, it will provide a little more room for your Dog to get comfortable. This bag is great, packs small, and really is comfortable. I never liked traditional mummy bags, but this design helps me sleep much better at night.
Thanks for your personal review of the Nemo and the suggestion for the long version. I'm only 5'-6" and was looking for the short. The Nemo Salsa 15 is available on Moosejaw as a long sleeping bag for $279.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Thanks for your personal review of the Nemo and the suggestion for the long version. I'm only 5'-6" and was looking for the short. The Nemo Salsa 15 is available on Moosejaw as a long sleeping bag for $279.
That seems like a reasonable price. I was an early adopter of this NEMO bag, so paid a bit more. My wife and I both use the bags. She uses the standard bag (she is 5'6"), I use the long bag (I'm 6'5"). She tells me, my bag has more room in the body. I hope this would help with the pup. Find a store that has them in stock, I tend to go to REI. Get in, and feel for yourself. I think you will be impressed.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
We have at least 7 different bags we use. Everything from square to mummy and blankets from home. Im a side sleeper and mummy bags don't fit well. It also depends on what were doing. Hiking down mummy bags are our choice for weight. Now if were vehicle supported synthetic bags are good. Camper camping were bringing blankets from home.
The newest one i want to try is a down comforter used for hiking it allows you to kick you leg out if your hot and it helps when your a side sleeper and keep turning over.

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

Coleman 20 degree bag. even zips to other bags for bigger size. I paid $30 at Walmart for mine. Nylon outside, cloth inner, five years no problems.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

OP... You might want to look into the "doubles" for you and the dog.

I do miss my old school M1949 (I think it was) Army sleeping bag. Currently using a Eureka silver city 30*. Does me ok, but haven't tried it to it's limit yet.

I have been wanting to try this thing out for years now. Don't laugh!

https://www.selkbag.eu/en/public/original.html
Lmao... reminds me of what I used to wear out in the snow as a kid.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

As I was browsing YouTube last night, I found a video of someone discussing why he is not using a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. I didn't even know these things existed. He referenced the company Enlightened Equipment who makes these. The benefits are that these are very customizable. They can be open like a quilt, or cinched shut similar to a sleeping bag. And very lightweight. Does anyone here have experience with this type of setup?

https://enlightenedequipment.com/quilts-on-the-shelf/

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I have two mummy bags that are both 30 degree bags I believe. I've had these for almost 20 years and they work ok by myself in warmer weather. But I now have a dog (25 lb. cockapoo) who camps with me. And when it gets cold, I pull him in the bag with me (we both enjoy this). The mummy bags just aren't cutting it though. I end up tangled up with the zipper to some weird angle and usually part of my body out of the bag while the pup tries to get comfortable.

There are so many sleeping bags on the market. I'm wondering if anyone else has used a sleeping bag that has room for both you and your canine companion in colder temperatures. Something that packs up light, but is flexible and warm.

I'm large so I use a Teton sports Celsius XL it's rated for -25 but in the winter I use a liner and always make sure I have ground insulation.
I also have a Artic military bag with a liner and shell but find that it doesn't fit as well as it did 20 years ago using the same style.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I love my Sierra Designs back country beds for overlanding and for backpacking I have 2 quilts made by hammock gear. A 20 and a 40 degree wide, long with 2oz overfill. These are awesome. I can put these inside of each other or my back country beds to add temp limits.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I just got a Big Agnes Hog Park (20 degree bag). It is designed to be used with their sleeping pad so I got that too. My first impressions are that the sleeping pad is surprisingly comfortable. I'm a big guy, 6'5" 240lb and the bag felt roomy to me. It might work for you what you are looking for.

If I had it do over, I would buy the same size in a 40 degree bag with a liner. The liner basically makes it a 20 degree bag and I would gain some warm weather versatility. The 20 degree bag also packs much smaller which will be necessary for a multi day kayak trip I'm hoping to do this year. In other words, I'll be buying another sleeping bag soon. I am really impressed with Big Agnes bags though.