Sleep inside or outside ?

• HTML tutorial

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
Looking for reasons someone would choose a tent over sleeping inside a trailer. Cost? Preferences? Fun? Tow vehicle limitations? Towing tight places? It just seems like an easy decision to me but I've never slept in a roof top tent. Seems like inside is the obvious choice. Thoughts?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There's a lot of factors. We have a 10 man tent for our family of 5. A camper big enough to fit us all would cost as much as my house and I'm not doing that until I convince the wife we don't need a house. :grinning:

I have a hammock and tarp setup to use when I'm solo and a 4 man tent when there's just a couple of us.

I got both tents and my hammock rig for less than a camper that's ready to use and I don't have to buy tires, tags, inspection or insurance on them!

Maybe a camper in the future, but not at this time.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'm a ground tent person. I like to keep my load light, for mobility. I don't carry as much stuff as most. I think that it comes from my Military or Backpacking background. Now that I do more Overlanding, I still keep my load light. Since I have a Jeep JK Unlimited, with a notoriously low GVWR, this works out just fine. I'm perfectly happy with my ultralight Overlanding camp setup. A comfortable camp is always relative. I have a lot more comfort items, compared to when I carried everything on my back. This approach has the side benefit of reduces breakage on the vehicle, by not exceeding loads the vehicles was designed to handle.

Reactions: BCBrian and TerryD

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

As I'm getting older(60+) I can sleep on the ground, but it takes longer to recover. I prefer to sleep in a tent on a cot, or in the back of my truck on a raised platform. old age sucks, I won't quit, Ron

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

BEARS. The number one reason you sleep in an RTT vs a ground tent vs inside a trailer. Inside a trailer you are trapped. You've got foodstuff there not good . In an RTT you've got a revenge platform if necessary. Back to the rig. Ok keep the food out. Think about these things. My trailer is essentially bear proof as are a lot of them. I've been visited by the Calif brown bear on several trips. And they manage to leave me alone. So I consider myself fortunate.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

For the camping trips we do now as a family I camp in a ground tent with a cot, me and the wife are planning on June-July overland trips just the two of us in the near future as the kids get older. We are trying to decide between RTT and a trailer? Both have their Pros and Cons, good thing we got a little time to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

2infinity&beyond

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Livermore, CA
Member #

I currently am rocking an RTT on my truck. I love it and so does the wife. But we both have qualms with it and that once you are setup, you are semi-stuck. This is great if you aren't needing the truck for a trail run or go somewhere. But I want to be able to set up camp and leave it while I go do trail runs. Plus I too am not getting younger and the idea of sleeping in an inclosed space sounds nice, especially in snowy conditions. Plus I like the idea of having the trailer (if I do get one it will be a teardrop) all loaded up and ready to go at the drop of a dime, just add food.

I know that sounds confusing.

Top contenders for me right now are the Recon from TeardropsNW, a Moby1 XTR, or Inka Outdoor Venture OHV.