Skid plate bushing/ spacer

• HTML tutorial

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

I have aluminum skid plates and they have started squeaking.
I plan to put plastic washers between the plates and the frame (cross member).
Is there a better solution or a better material/ product to use as a bushing?

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Plastic may work. You could try buying some this sheets of gasket material like this from Amazon if you have a way to punch the holes using a hole punch tool.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Ryot

I'd try adding some UHMW or HDPE washers. You can get HDPE inexpensively by cutting apart thin cutting boards. ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/473086055 ) Some milk bottles are also made from HDPE (look for Recycling code 02) on the bottle. I'd put 2 washers on each side of the skid plate per bolt. This way any movement should be between the plastic washers and not metal on metal causing the squeak.

Boort

Reactions: Baby Jeep Overland

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Cheap fix I use on my flat bed bolts to keep it from squeaking is to use plastic water bottle caps with a hole drilled in them as a washer. Been using them for several years and it works great.

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Welp, there's a new one on me. Skid plate squeaking? Should be bolted on solid as a rock. Maybe the bolts are a smidgen to long? If it's an after market that's possible? But I've never crawled under a Yota to look (yet :} ). I'll bet ya it drives ya nuts tho.