Single burner or two burner on the trail?

• HTML tutorial

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

We carry a 22" Partner Steel stove with a 5lb propane tank. Of course if you're trying to cut down on space this won't be your best option. Partner Steel does make smaller stoves, and those perform very well. If you're looking for something pretty small I would go with a backpacking style stove. Something like a Jetboil or an MSR Windburner or Reactor are nice.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

We have a Colemn 2-burner white gas stove we used to use often. Now a days, we bring a Coleman propane stove as our main unit, then if a secondary cooking source is needed, we run our Jetboil with the pot adapter. Mine you, we're only cooking for three and our meals aren't elaborate. We'll often have a grill will us for the proteins.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
It depends on what I'm doing and who's with me. I've become a Coleman stove junkie so I have a selection. If I'm alone, my single burner Coleman does the trick. For supper it's usually a steak cooked on iron. Then while the steak rests, I'll get my sides ready. For breakfast, I can heat enough water to fix my coffee and oatmeal then use an insulated food jar for that while I fry sausage.

If it's a couple of us going, I'll take one of the two burner jobs. Then I can fix more, faster.

If the whole family goes (three daughters and my wife), we've been taking the 3 burner.

If I had to have just one (?!?), it'd probably be the old Sears two burner. It's smaller and more robust than the Powerhouse 2 burner I have and easier to pack than my 3 burner.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I have a variety of stoves (and lanterns and heaters) but rely on a 1980 502 (single burner) and a 1963 425 (small two burner). I carry both for redundancy and because the combo is more versatile and easier to service than a large 3-burner. When my wife is cooking stuff for the both of us, we tend to use the 2 burner more. When I'm out by myself, I only ever use the single burner. Both stoves are pretty well bulletproof. As long as gasoline hasn't been left sitting in them causing the tank to rust, used examples are usually good to go straight from eBay or a yard sale.

Reactions: TerryD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I’ve been using the camp chef single burner butane stoves lately. They’re about $20 on amazon and you can get a dozen butane canisters for about $20 too. If it’s just me and my wife I usually take one, but I have two if I need to cook more. The canisters seem to last along time. It’s quick, cheap,easy and no mess from fuel. I also carry a jet boil that lives in my truck for quick coffee or for backpacker freeze dried meals. I am considering a partner 2 burner and a griddle, but i haven’t pulled the trigger yet. If I’m cooking stuff that is more that one pan I usually foil wrap whatever I cook first and move on to the next thing and that’s worked out well for the two of us when we’re trying to conserve space. If space isn’t an issue I bring my homemade skottle that I zapped together from an old plow disc too.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have and use both. I prefer the 2 burner for overlanding for the versatility it offers. If I have to carry it in like when I bike pack or backpack, then I take the single burner.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Wow, what a lot of variation! Isn't that great...? Obviously most of us put a lot of thought into food and prep vs freeze dried paks and or protein bars (blah).

My wife and I typically hit the road for 3-5 nights at a shot before swinging by a grocery store/gas up, etc. In doing that we've (at least for now - who knows what future years will bring) ditched the two burner and have opted for 3 single-burner rigs. I use the screw on single burners that mate to the green one pound cylinders and we keep a snowpeak burner plus a jet boil pot for quick water heating (coffee, afternoon tea, etc.).

Rationale? We usually end up cooking in unison with one of us working on the veggies/side/bread and the other working on the Main dish. We found a two burner stove was too crowded and we got in each other's way (I should add we've been married for 30+ years so getting in each others way has been an adventure in itself!! LOL) This allows us to "cook where you want" either on the tailgate of the pickup, on the collapsible table, or sitting by the fire pit.

Also if we damage something or run out of fuel, a quick swing past any hardware store, Walmart, Target... allows us to restock our kit and keep in truckin.

Reactions: k9sar and TerryD

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have a coleman grill with a burner on the side. It's the same size as the two burner deals. I like having the grill and still being able to boil some water at the same time.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
For me its outing specific. If I am heading out backpacking...it is the MSR pocket rocket, titanium Snowpeak or equivalent...if its out with a large group of friends it can be a 3 burner 30,000 BTU camp stove. I like to cook but I also like to play around with many different setups. I will say that I like the two burner Coleman stove for most overlanding outings where its just me and the girlfriend. Keeping it simple and enjoying the time together is most important.

Reactions: Eric Neal

Yumafolks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma Az
Member #

We have a Colman one burner/BBQ for when we have room and plan big meals. But for the most part we down sized our big cooking camp box and now use a larger back pack we hang from the rack. We keep a one burner stove and a propane bottle in the bag. It's really worked out great for tailgate meals on the trail and parking lot coffee. We seem to use this system a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk