Launch Member

Member I

Redding, CA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hey y’all, I’m needing some advice from those with electrical knowledge and/ or dual battery setups. Essentially I am wanting to set up a dual battery in order to run all my accessories, mainly my electric stove tops. They are nothing huge, but I’m not sure where to start or how to determine if I can even use them with a setup like this.

First off, is this practical/ possible? I have a basic understanding of electronics but beyond that I’m lost. I am opting for a setup like this instead of gas if possible, and I prefer the electric stovetops anyway. Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Mountain Goat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ipswich QLD, Australia
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
BOORER
Member #

Hey y’all, I’m needing some advice from those with electrical knowledge and/ or dual battery setups. Essentially I am wanting to set up a dual battery in order to run all my accessories, mainly my electric stove tops. They are nothing huge, but I’m not sure where to start or how to determine if I can even use them with a setup like this.

First off, is this practical/ possible? I have a basic understanding of electronics but beyond that I’m lost. I am opting for a setup like this instead of gas if possible, and I prefer the electric stovetops anyway. Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance!
I assume the stove tops are 240v ? if so you will need to work out how many watts they are and what other items you will be loading the batteries with like lights etc, that will give you an idea on how bit the battery system will need to be and also how big of inverter you will need then you can work out your system around that
MC

OutdoorGaz

Rank 0

Contributor I

Brisbane QLD, Australia
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Tischer
I wrote a series of articles regarding 12v systems - as well as the article there are videos by an expert in the area so they would help you out a lot. In Australia we use 240v but the main information will still be useful. Link to series here RV DAILY

Reactions: Redbear

ElPolloBlanco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hanford, CA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Todd
Member #

I use a dual battery set-up from 12voltguy.com The site is a little 2002, but the kit I have with the dual battery and winch control is top notch. I use my second battery for all not stock loads, (lights, subwoofer amp, inverter, etc.) I can link the two batteries with a flip of a switch when needed for things like an emergency jump or when winching. I'm interested in your stoves, can't really answer your non question question without that info.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
I wrote a series of articles regarding 12v systems - as well as the article there are videos by an expert in the area so they would help you out a lot. In Australia we use 240v but the main information will still be useful. Link to series here RV DAILY
That looks like a great series, I’m going to check it out.

Reactions: OutdoorGaz

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

I'm a little late to the party but I came across this video / product and was throwing the idea around with installing this in my truck.

Its a $60 kit that can be found here.

It looks simple enough and I may go for it on my budget build but it will come after a few other things.

@BadWolfOffroad Id be curious to hear about what you end up going with and photos if you have any!

Reactions: RoarinRow

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve a dual battery set up with a 120 watt solar panel and a manual isolator switch. The 50 ah AGM starter battery handles all the stock electronics on the vehicle. The 75 ah battery handles everything I’ve added. I prefer a manual isolator switch because they do not fail. After 5 years it still is very reliable. I’m very curious about running an electric stove, not that I’d consider that but I m curious to see where this thread goes as an electric cook stove would use up a lot of amps really quick.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

here are my two videos of installing a second battery in my Silverado.

All the parts I used are listed with Isolator and all in the description.
I just need advice on a solar panel and setup...lol

Reactions: RoarinRow

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Electrically? The solar panel wires have plugs, 2 each, male/female and connect to the wires which are run to the regulator/monitor/controller mounted to my firewall. (a really cheap one btw; might have been 25 bucks) but be sure to get one that you can program how many volts gets to your battery. I run two AGMs and if I remember correctly the optima blue tops need 14.1 volts ( don't quote me, I'd have to look it up.) Many say the controller gets too hot under the hood, but I've never had any issues with that. The controller is hard wired to the house battery. Once we get to camp, I turn my isolator switch to "off", to isolate the starter battery. Plug my solar panel wires to the controller wires via those male/female connectors. Set up camp, and enjoy a cold brew or three.

Here are the basics of how I mounted mine on our rack