Simple 20Lb Propane Rack Mount Solution

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
I’ve been dragging a 20# tank out for unlimited campfires in fire season (which is pretty much constant in a lot of AZ now). I have smaller tanks but they just don’t run the campfire super long (6hrs/5# tank). I worked up a super simple way to mount it to my platform but need some help figuring out how to strap it down. I drop my bottle into a half crate and built some simple T-slot pegs to keep it from sliding. A single strap keeps it in place vertically but I need a way to strap it without it fraying and cutting through the strap eventually. The Rhino mount uses a special strap with a metal ring in it to loop over the valve but I can’t see spending $100 for that.

I’d love some crowd ingenuity on protecting the straps or another simple solution. Any ideas on protecting the strap from damage from the steel bottle handle?

Here’s what We’ve been doing:

Reactions: Correus

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
I use an adjustable bike cable lock on mine (through the tank handle and under the load bar) which also solves (to some degree) potential theft problems.
You use a bike lock as the tie down? That sounds interesting. Would you mind posting a pic if you have one? How does it keep it tight to the rack?

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
I think I’ll try some edge trim like the use around bumpers. I can get that cheap on amazon and then cut it to the tank handle size. Then it could just stay with the tank. Thanks for all the help!

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

You use a bike lock as the tie down? That sounds interesting. Would you mind posting a pic if you have one? How does it keep it tight to the rack?
Actually, I’m not sure it’s technically a ‘bike lock’; that’s just what I first used it for. The cable passes through the lock mechanism and cinches down when the key is turned. I don’t have a good picture but search Amazon for ‘python cable lock’ and you’ll turn up several hits. It’s a Master Lock product priced from $12 up depending on length and diameter.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
Actually, I’m not sure it’s technically a ‘bike lock’; that’s just what I first used it for. The cable passes through the lock mechanism and cinches down when the key is turned. I don’t have a good picture but search Amazon for ‘python cable lock’ and you’ll turn up several hits. It’s a Master Lock product priced from $12 up depending on length and diameter.
Just googled it. That's a fantastic solution and at $20 it's not much more than a self retracting ratchet strap.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I use vinyl corner guards used in flooring where ratchet straps may chafe, when I don't need to lock something up. I got a bunch for free. Sometimes I cut them to the width of the strap; sometimes I just use them whole like this:

vinyl-corner-guard_6294.JPG

vinyl-corner-guard_6296.JPG

You can cut pieces and contact cement them where needed.

You could also use the cheap foam blocks used for canoes and kayaks, though I don't know how well they would glue in place:
foam-sponson-canoe_6298.JPG

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
I use vinyl corner guards used in flooring where ratchet straps may chafe, when I don't need to lock something up. I got a bunch for free. Sometimes I cut them to the width of the strap; sometimes I just use them whole like this:
That looks like it would work well. I just ordered a strip of this stuff:
41VV0Vz9pRL._AC_SR250,230_.jpg

I'm just going to cut it to length and permanently attach it to the handle holes on all my tanks. It was $7.50 for 1 meter so I figure that should cover my two 20#'s and the 5#. I'll post a pick once I get it sorted.

Reactions: Shahn and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

View attachment 197054

I'm just going to cut it to length and permanently attach it to the handle holes on all my tanks. It was $7.50 for 1 meter so I figure that should cover my two 20#'s and the 5#. I'll post a pick once I get it sorted.
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that stuff!

It comes in all kinds of configurations with bulb seals for vehicle doors, edges of pop up roof tops, etc. I have a bunch too, though too large of a seal to use for propane canisters.

That should work perfectly.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
View attachment 197054

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that stuff!

It comes in all kinds of configurations with bulb seals for vehicle doors, edges of pop up roof tops, etc. I have a bunch too, though too large of a seal to use for propane canisters.

That should work perfectly.
Now my tank smiles at me every time I say ‘let’s go camping’ : ) This stuff works great! Problem solved.

Attachments

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Now my tank smiles at me every time I say ‘let’s go camping’ : ) This stuff works great! Problem solved.
Perfect! A great hack for hauling and strapping down propane when needed, and a good reminder of re-purposing something meant for another application.

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

I love this idea! I'm betting that this would work on the bottom of the tank too. Then I could strap it down directly to the aluminum tongue of my trailer.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
I love this idea! I'm betting that this would work on the bottom of the tank too. Then I could strap it down directly to the aluminum tongue of my trailer.
Yep, stuff works great. Been using it all summer, stays put and cheap.

Reactions: Tackleberry

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Probably too complicated, I built a mount for my 5# cyl.
Land Rover 109 propane tank mount

I too used some of the rubber bulb to keep rattle and wear down;

DSCF5237.JPGDSCF5247.JPG

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy

Attachments

Reactions: Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

Probably too complicated, I built a mount for my 5# cyl.
Land Rover 109 propane tank mount

I too used some of the rubber bulb to keep rattle and wear down;

View attachment 207753View attachment 207754
Yeah- a bit more complicated than what I'm hoping to do for this application, but I enjoyed reading that. It sparked some ideas.