Launch Member

Contributor II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Verrastro
Member #

I am looking to get a little more front end clearance and not really wanting to go full kill bumper replacement. I saw this online and seems pretty decent and wont hack up the truck a bunch. Only thing i would change here is a larger skid plate.

Thoughts ?

Front Bumoer.jpg

Reactions: BCMoto

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

I am looking to get a little more front end clearance and not really wanting to go full kill bumper replacement. I saw this online and seems pretty decent and wont hack up the truck a bunch. Only thing i would change here is a larger skid plate.

Thoughts ?

View attachment 144328
How does that compare to what you have now?

I am also looking at something to give me a bit more clearance in the front of my Silverado 2500HD. Thinking of just having my mechanic trim back the air dam; it took a few hits when I was out and about earlier this month.
IMG_0306.JPG

GR8WHTE

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Verrastro
Member #

How does that compare to what you have now?

I am also looking at something to give me a bit more clearance in the front of my Silverado 2500HD. Thinking of just having my mechanic trim back the air dam; it took a few hits when I was out and about earlier this month.
View attachment 145373
Right now I have the stock front bumper, I am going to have my buddy fab up the bumper i posted in the first photo and just add a larger skid to it for better protection. I will post photos when it is complete.

AaronB

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Milford, Michigan
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Berendt
Member #

The easiest and quickest thing to do is just remove the air dam. On my 1500 Silverado it was held on by two screws and some tabs. Takes about 5 minutes to remove and easily gets you about 4-5" inches of additional clearance.
IMG_9509.JPGIMG_9511.JPGIMG_9512.JPGIMG_9514.JPG

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

GM used to make a metal shield kit. Saw this in another, unnamed forum...
Part Name: Under Body Shield, For Vehicles with V8 Engines Part #: 23176881 Brand: Chevrole/GMCt OEM Help protect the underside of your Silverado 1500 equipped with a V8 engine from road debris that can harm key mechanical components with this Under Body Shield.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Cant find that on the website now, though.

I hate that stupid chin strap that hangs off the bottom of the newer GM truck front bumpers. So I took mine off and it already improved angle of approach.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

It may not do much for real ground clearance, but it helps. At least I'm not scraping parking lot curbing, not plowing snow when it's more than 6 inches, and mild off roading on trails wont be a PITA. True, that chin strap saves you roughly a mile per gallon on the highway, but that's because the air is being diverted away from all the suspension components and underside of the engine. Getting a good set of bash/skid plates will likely provide you nearly the same fuel economy as well as protection of those components

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

True, that chin strap saves you roughly a mile per gallon on the highway, but that's because the air is being diverted away from all the suspension components and underside of the engine.
Thank you for answering my unasked question. Was something I would have brought up to my mechanic on the next visit. I am thinking of giving my air dam a trim, about half. The way mine is made it goes on up into the chrome bumper between the recovery hooks so I kind of have to leave some of it intact. Plus I am thinking of eventually adding a front hitch that will come out right about where a front license plate would be (North Carolina doesn't issue front plates).
InkedIMG_0306_LI.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thank you for answering my unasked question. Was something I would have brought up to my mechanic on the next visit. I am thinking of giving my air dam a trim, about half. The way mine is made it goes on up into the chrome bumper between the recovery hooks so I kind of have to leave some of it intact. Plus I am thinking of eventually adding a front hitch that will come out right about where a front license plate would be (North Carolina doesn't issue front plates).
View attachment 149553
Happy to help but you are mistaken, sir. The air dam actually does not extend up between the recovery hooks, although from eye height it appears to do so. I assure you it does not.

Get it on a ramp or a 4x4 wood slab, and hop under there with a 10mm ratcheting box end flat wrench.

There are 12 to 14 bolts that need to be removed. These are the ones with the head at the top. There are a few red herrings where the bolt heads are at the bottom, you needn't concern yourself with those. Just the 14 that are all head on top. Remove them and pull the dam straight back towards the back of the truck and hooray!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Take another look at the picture I posted and you will see the numerous bolt holes, the larger tabs/clips near the curved ends, and the many smaller tabs along the center. You will also see that the plastic insert between my tow hooks is intact and still solidly in place.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Take another look at the picture I posted and you will see the numerous bolt holes, the larger tabs/clips near the curved ends, and the many smaller tabs along the center. You will also see that the plastic insert between my tow hooks is intact and still solidly in place.
I'll have to crawl up under there tomorrow and check that out. That may be the simplest answer to my concerns.... and keep me from using a cutoff wheel on the air dam. :laughing:

GR8WHTE

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Verrastro
Member #

Cant find that on the website now, though.

I hate that stupid chin strap that hangs off the bottom of the newer GM truck front bumpers. So I took mine off and it already improved angle of approach.
i pulled mine off as well, just looking for a little more clearance! i got all the material for the new bumper i am building, just waiting to start the project, work is a little busy right now!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yeah I'm planning to put in the Bilstein 5100's to give the front another 2 inches, sort of level it off. Shield the underside. Some medium aggressive tires and I should be good.

Reactions: GR8WHTE