Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Hi Everyone!

I've recently found some damage to my ko2 sidewalls.
Nothing extreme but I dont really know how to handle it and what to do now..
I'll add 2 pictures of the "cut" it's not really deep, just cut in the white stuff of the sidewall and max 1mm deep; about 3 to 4cm long.
I checked all the other tires and I found 1 similar damage that seems much older on a other tire.

Is this still sage to drive or am I waiting for a disaster? There's no metal or anything visible. The thread on the tires is still pretty good so getting ew tires wasn't kn the budget atm.
If I should replace em is it oke to just change 2? The damage is on the front tires..

Tha ks for any advice!

Attachments

D

Deleted member 14476

Hi Everyone!

I'll add 2 pictures of the "cut" it's not really deep, just cut in the white stuff of the sidewall and max 1mm deep; about 3 to 4cm long.
I checked all the other tires and I found 1 similar damage that seems much older on a other tire.

Is this still sage to drive or am I waiting for a disaster? There's no metal or anything visible. The thread on the tires is still pretty good so getting ew tires wasn't kn the budget atm.
If I should replace em is it oke to just change 2? The damage is on the front tires..

Tha ks for any advice!
Hey Lauren, my personal opinion is to take it to a tire shop and get their professional recommendation.

It might be fine now but thats now the weakest point of the tire, if you’re wheeling and hit something (weird angle, too fast, lower psi, etc) who knows if it’d hold. Let alone going down the interstate and it decided to give way then.

Yes you can get just two new tires, just make sure you put the new tires in the front since those are the ones you’re steering with. Better to have more steering capability than traction.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Laurensvh

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Hi Everyone!

Tha ks for any advice!
Hey Lauren, my personal opinion is to take it to a tire shop and get their professional recommendation.

It might be fine now but thats now the weakest point of the tire, if you’re wheeling and hit something (weird angle, too fast, lower psi, etc) who knows if it’d hold. Let alone going down the interstate and it decided to give way then.

Yes you can get just two new tires, just make sure you put the new tires in the front since those are the ones you’re steering with. Better to have more steering capability than traction.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Yeah kinda helps . It's not rock crawling we do in Belgium (Europe) but mostly samd andud . But yeah blowing on the highway is a disaster .

I'll have it checked out and if not good have 2 tires changed .

Thx!

Br

D

Deleted member 14476

Hi,

Yeah kinda helps . It's not rock crawling we do in Belgium (Europe) but mostly samd andud . But yeah blowing on the highway is a disaster .

I'll have it checked out and if not good have 2 tires changed .

Thx!

Br
No problem! Better to be safe than sorry

Reactions: Laurensvh

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Those tires look old. BFG tires will dry rot and be dangerous well before the tread wears out.. as Conner said, have them checked out by a pro.
Not that old actually.. only like 3 or 4yrs I think.. or is that old?

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Not that old actually.. only like 3 or 4yrs I think.. or is that old?
No, not yet, however , anything after 5 years would be suspect and worthy of an inspection. The interior of tires wears out and we can’t even see that.
Hehe ok.

Yeah the plan is to change them next year.
It's not my daily driver. Have one weekend trip planned in the French forrests next month. Around a 500km drive (on way) and then 400km of 80% slow and not paved. Would like to do the trip with these since new tires is not calculated in my car budget for the coming month .
I'll try to have em checked out by a tire shop and see what they say