Shrockworks front bumper on 4runner....suspension mods needed?

• HTML tutorial

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi all,

I am running a 2018 4Runner TRD Pro and I am upgrading to a Shrockworks bumper (steel). With the additional weight of this item and a Warn 9.5xp winch, do I need to concern myself with any adjustments to the front end suspension?

Also, I purchased the Warn Wireless Control System and I was wondering if this kit has all the components necessary to operate the winch once it has been installed onto the front bumper.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

70boss302

Rank 0

Traveler I

Atlanta
Did you up end with the bumper/winch? I have a '16 trail and looking to install a a SSO slimline/hybrid bumper with a winch. Really not wanting to have deal with a lift or spring swap if weight is an issue. I know there's an aluminum version, but damn, $$$.

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Did you up end with the bumper/winch? I have a '16 trail and looking to install a a SSO slimline/hybrid bumper with a winch. Really not wanting to have deal with a lift or spring swap if weight is an issue. I know there's an aluminum version, but damn, $$$.
It is still in production. I contacted Shrockworks and they said that no lift is needed but it will take a few months for the suspension to settle in with the increased weight. I ended up going with the steel bumper as aluminum was too expensive and I think steel will hold up better to bumps and bangs over time.

I will post again once the install is done.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Im subscribing to see how things work out on this. I have a 2017 trd off road premium. I have replaced the stock suspension with the ome 3" kit. Im running their light duty springs up front. Stock suspension rode great except for the nosedive when breaking. I cant imagine adding a winch and bumper to the nose of the truck and not making that much worse. I have no dive now with this set up. I just added the SSO full length roof rack and when I was at their shop Kevin hinted at a new bumper that would be a compromise between the slim line and full bumper. Im ready to add a winch but may wait to see what that bumper looks like. Short of that the slim line would be my choice. Preferably aluminum.

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I will keep you updated. Yeah, that is why I emailed Shrockworks. I have the upgraded Billstein suspension but an extra ~140 lbs for a Bumper plus a winch is a very different scenario as I agree there is some nosedive with braking.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Zack, I would contact Duffy Biggs at ARB, ( dbiggs@arbusa.com ) and ask him exactly what spring rate you should be using up front... Amount of "lift" has very little to do with the amount of weight a spring is designed to support. Unfortunately many of the outlets that carry ome can be unreliable with their information. I have dual batteries, big steel bumper and a winch. For that I am using the "heavy" rated springs, "2850J"s, which do give an additional 2.5"s of lift. Duffy will know if you need a medium or heavy spring for your application. I'm not sure what an "upgraded Billstien" suspension is so it is hard for me to give any more advice, other than that, the OME springs are available in 3 different weight ratings and can be purchased in pairs.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I will keep you updated. Yeah, that is why I emailed Shrockworks. I have the upgraded Billstein suspension but an extra ~140 lbs for a Bumper plus a winch is a very different scenario as I agree there is some nosedive with braking.
Right!....and then what if theres a dual battery and or compressor in your future??

I genuinely love the appearance of the TRD Pro and was within a breath of ordering one. I knew, however, that I wanted to run a 285 tire and so I couldnt see myself paying a premium for a suspension that would be getting replaced. My advice is to give toytec a call. They make a lift for the trd pro that consists of spacers in the front and superflex rear springs. The spacers will not add anything to keep the added weight from exaggerating that nose dive, so my question to them would be, "what spring do you suggest to carry an extra 180-200lb up front and keep it as close to stock height as possible? " Dobinsions may also be a resource. Minimal lift but extra load carrying.

I am happy with my set up. Despite the 3" height increase it handles much better...including cornering. I added the trd pro grill already and maybe a black wheelset is in my future. By doing off road model instead of pro i was also able to get the color I wanted as well as moonroof and power passenger seat. Shame on Toyota for only producing the Pro in 3 colors per year model and I have no clue why they would up the price on it while dropping features like sunroof and power passenger seat. I see that the jbl sound system will come with the pro in 2019. I think THAT should have been at least an option on all of the premium models from SR5 and up. An audio upgrade is slated as my next modification along with a better off road navigation solution.

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Zack, I would contact Duffy Biggs at ARB, ( dbiggs@arbusa.com ) and ask him exactly what spring rate you should be using up front... Amount of "lift" has very little to do with the amount of weight a spring is designed to support. Unfortunately many of the outlets that carry ome can be unreliable with their information. I have dual batteries, big steel bumper and a winch. For that I am using the "heavy" rated springs, "2850J"s, which do give an additional 2.5"s of lift. Duffy will know if you need a medium or heavy spring for your application. I'm not sure what an "upgraded Billstien" suspension is so it is hard for me to give any more advice, other than that, the OME springs are available in 3 different weight ratings and can be purchased in pairs.
Thanks for the advice MOAK. I will definitely use Duffy as a resource.

I have the Bilstein shocks that come with the TRD Pro. Here is the part number: PTR1389160. They say custom rate on the specs page but I am not sure what that means.

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I mean, you are going to notice the added weight, no getting around it. To get it back to driving like it should and your ride height back you're going to want to do something. You could run a 3/4 or 1" spacer up front to get your ride height back (cheap option, not the most desirable for a trail rig). Best choice would be to replace the coils (and struts because you may as well while you're in there and it's less work to just rip out the PRO stuff all assembled...and will help with $ if you re-sell) with something designed for more weight. Maybe full adjustable front coils from ICON, KING, etc. Maybe do the same in the rear when you get that rear bumper that we all know is somewhere in the future...lol

I put an SSO slimline on mine with a Smitty 10k winch...est 150lb ish total. I can tell its there even with Icon coils. You're probably about that heavy with just the bumper, so you'll notice it...lol

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Thanks for the advice MOAK. I will definitely use Duffy as a resource.

I have the Bilstein shocks that come with the TRD Pro. Here is the part number: PTR1389160. They say custom rate on the specs page but I am not sure what that means.
Hmmm,,, shocks or lift height do not support any weight, springs support the weight. If you lift it up 2 inches or so, the additional weight will settle the height back to normal, however, that is a lot of stress on stock springs and everything else. The last thing you want to be doing is bottoming out. I learned this decades ago with cheapo lift kits and spacers. I went through bumpstops like I change underwear. With your independant front suspension you'll be wearing out a lot of other components besides bumpstops prematurely. Once one loads up the front end with all that extra weight a heavier spring rate is the only way to get your front end geometry back to factory specs. Hope this helps... peace out

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I think cheapest help would be an adjustable bilstein shock. 5100 maybe. But the coil is really what you need to deal with.
adjustable shocks are great for controlling depression and rebound. I'm even thinking of getting some someday, but the price is a bit too salty, even for me. :)

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks! Definitely helps!

Hmmm,,, shocks or lift height do not support any weight, springs support the weight. If you lift it up 2 inches or so, the additional weight will settle the height back to normal, however, that is a lot of stress on stock springs and everything else. The last thing you want to be doing is bottoming out. I learned this decades ago with cheapo lift kits and spacers. I went through bumpstops like I change underwear. With your independant front suspension you'll be wearing out a lot of other components besides bumpstops prematurely. Once one loads up the front end with all that extra weight a heavier spring rate is the only way to get your front end geometry back to factory specs. Hope this helps... peace out
efinitel