Should we have a regional For Sale section?

• HTML tutorial

Should we petition the powers that be to give us a regional for sale thread/subforum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Something that has been buzzing around in my head for a bit. Of the many forums that I am a member of, this one and another are the only ones that don't seem to have a running sub forum for local/regional for sale threads. I would think that having a regional stickies thread or subform would help with visibility.

I, for one, think this is a good idea. What say you netizens? Should we petition the powers that be to give us a regional for sale thread/subforum? If it was just a thread it should be stickied. A sub forum would allow further drilling down of region, i.e. NorCal/SoCal/Nev/HI, etc...

Reactions: YETI X

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Rather than splitting up the forum in to a bunch of regional sub-forums (al la Craigslist) I know that I always search multiple craigslist locations for Items I'm willing to drive for.

I'd suggest that folks include a subject line like the following:
Item Desc - Location - Ship Y/N​

When it sells or is promised edit / update the lead post as follows:
PROMISED - Item Desc - Location - Ship Y/N
SOLD - Item Desc - Location - Ship Y/N​

Just my $0.02
Boort

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Winner!! Oddly, almost every forum I'm on does not have regional for sale ads, and the mods are always moving them to the for sale forum when people do post in the regions.

You don't have a poll option for No. ;)

Like Boort says, if they are all compartmentalized into the separate regions, I might not see that something I've been looking for is for sale in the SE region.

Most for sale forums require a location, with the appropriate STATE as the first word of the description. (after the For Sale, Wanted, Trade tag)

Rather than splitting up the forum in to a bunch of regional sub-forums (al la Craigslist) I know that I always search multiple craigslist locations for Items I'm willing to drive for.

I'd suggest that folks include a subject line like the following:
Item Desc - Location - Ship Y/N

Reactions: Mike G

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

I like the idea of a regional for sale thread. You don't have to break up the classifieds section, just have a For Sale thread in the regional area. Most of the items we buy/sell are bigger than your average person wants to deal with shipping. Things like skid plates, awnings, RTT's etc. are just too big for your average OB member to ship. Also, I personally don't like it when I post something large for sale, specifically say, "Sorry, not willing to ship," and then every other response is, "How much to ship to 03417?"

That's my input at least.

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Winner!! Oddly, almost every forum I'm on does not have regional for sale ads, and the mods are always moving them to the for sale forum when people do post in the regions.

You don't have a poll option for No. ;)

Like Boort says, if they are all compartmentalized into the separate regions, I might not see that something I've been looking for is for sale in the SE region.

Most for sale forums require a location, with the appropriate STATE as the first word of the description. (after the For Sale, Wanted, Trade tag)
I didn't put the "No" option because I don't take it as an answer ;)

My reasoning(and I have to guess many others) for wanting something regional is that it is easier to complete a transaction on a local basis, i.e. meet in person, shake hands, communication while looking eye to eye, etc. I find most of the things I want to buy from forums tend to be a little on the larger scale where shipping becomes a major hurdle. Either the seller or the buyer would rather not have to deal with the hassle. It also cuts down on potential fraud as well as bolstering a local community. Back in the heyday of internet forums(circa 99-03) the regional/local for sale sections were a great place to connect with other like minded enthusiasts. Having a local/regional option is a great way to add to peoples ability to find what they are looking for. That doesn't mean they wot be able to use the regular classified section for items they cant find locally. I hope that I have communicated this well enough and that we have a resolution. Keep up with the input peoples!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I'm not sure how this forum software is designed, but is it possible to have all posts from a sub-forum promote to the parent?
We could have a for sale forum that has regional sub forums followed by local subforums. Where posts to any of the subs show up in the parent.
If this were set up we could have:
For Sale
N. America
Canada
Mexico
USA
NE
SE
Mid West
South
West
SW
PNW​
A post made to the "West" Sub-forum would show up in West, USA, N. America, & For Sale.

Then we could have the best of both. Locavores could sub and track the local forum at the level they would like to drive, and those who would like to see it all could track at a higher level. I understand that this is likely a new function request to the team at XenForo, but an idea that could be done.

Boort

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

I like the idea of putting your general area in the title along with what you have for sale no matter where its listed.

Or..

Maybe just allow people to post their items in their region if they arent willing to ship and those that are willing to post in a "main" for sale section. That might make easier to go through.

Just an idea.

Reactions: YETI X