Should I overland in a 2024 Toyota Tundra Platinum edition?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Abilene, TX, USA
First Name
Elias
Last Name
Gordillo
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have recently fallen in love with the idea of over landing. We bought our 2024 Toyota Tundra Platinum edition in Toyota’s Lunar rock color in the end of September of 2023. Before getting the truck I always loved the look of Over land build vehicles but didn’t know what it entailed.
Since buying the truck, I’ve been involved in many tundra forums learning and watching many videos about over landing and have fallen in love with the idea of over landing with my family and going on fun adventures. The only question is now, did we for lack of better words, make a “mistake” getting the Platinum trim?We are so fortunate and grateful and Our truck is awesome, and we love the look and luxury of the interior as we take many road trips. Only issue with our plans for future off road adventures, is we don’t have the TRD off road package that Toyota offers and is so rebuttable for. I know our truck can still be capable and I know we can get all of those options after market(for the most part). But, I can’t shake the fact that we don’t and can’t get things like, Multi terrain select, Crawl Control, rear lockers and the off-road camera views that the TRD packages come with. I know some of these things are not necessities but I really feel like I’ll be missing out on the rear lockers and the multi terrain select. To me this has worried me enough to beg the question of “should we trade in our truck?” I’ve really been contemplating trading on our platinum for a TRD pro Tundra because of this. Main issue is that, we’ve already paid off our truck and put miles on it and I know we would lose on value from when we bought our truck. We paid about 68k for our truck and have about 5500 miles on it and I recently saw a used 24 TRD pro with 3,000 miles on it for 74k, I’ve honestly thought about trading it in because I plan on making my platinum a make shift TRD pro, may as well buy the real thing right? I’m just worried about the trade in value of our truck and wonder it’s worth it. I guess my two questions would be, does anyone think it would be worth it? I feel like I’m just having really bad “FOMO”(fear of missing out) but I don’t want that to be the deciding factor for a trade in. So my next question would be, would I be fine with just my 4x4 truck without any off the fancy off-road features? Please don’t hound on me too hard I know I’m being dumb just want feed back on what’s been on my mind lately. And some reassurance never hurt anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Trail Blazer II

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
well you wheel what you have is fine . your luxury package is good like you say you do a lot of road trip and you are in comfort .( and that what overland is mostly driving ). as for the TRD off road package you can always buy after market parts or even buy the expensive toyota parts (same result at the end) its just a lift kit better arm and wheels , and wen you overland its rare you gonna go do big tuff trails (can but rare) , so enjoy your truck just buy better gear for the camping part .. enjoy

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Get some rocker panel protection and go! You'll probable never need a rear locker, if you find you are going into hard core places and turning around a lot, then it may be time to add a locker. Can I tell you how many guys around here have a locker and have never used it? My brotherinlaw has a Chevy without a locker and can get to some pretty amazing places. Nonetheless, keep what you have and have fun.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
You drive
...Multi terrain select, Crawl Control, rear lockers and the off-road camera views that the TRD packages come with...
You could drive the vehicle to Patagonia as it is. Of the specifics you mention none is remotely necessary. The crawl control might be used once or twice and the rear lockers might also be useful once or twice in the more demanding areas of SW Bolivia or Northern Brazil, however are definitely not needed. My suggestion is, get out there and enjoy the travel.

Reactions: JeepNamedSarge

JeepNamedSarge

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Bend, Oregon, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

well you wheel what you have is fine . your luxury package is good like you say you do a lot of road trip and you are in comfort .( and that what overland is mostly driving ). as for the TRD off road package you can always buy after market parts or even buy the expensive toyota parts (same result at the end) its just a lift kit better arm and wheels , and wen you overland its rare you gonna go do big tuff trails (can but rare) , so enjoy your truck just buy better gear for the camping part .. enjoy
Totally agree!

JeepNamedSarge

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Bend, Oregon, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I agree with these folks. Your rig is awesome and ready to go on amazing off-road overlanding adventures. If you bang up your bumpers and then want to get aftermarket ones, you can. But what a great rig you have to work with! Do you follow Revere Overland on Youtube? Great channel and he/Rob drives a newish Tundra. There's no end to what mods you can make but I don't see any need to trade in for a TRD. At some point, you might want a lift and bigger tires or whatever, but to get started, you have all you need. Check out the many Backcountry Discovery Routes (ridebdr.com).