Should I change vehicles?

• HTML tutorial

ATL Bob

Rank 0

Contributor I

Atlanta
Looking for opinions. I’m considering changing vehicles. I currently drive a 2017 Honda Ridgeline AWD. It does everything I CURRENTLY need perfectly. It is roomy, comfortable, reliable, has great gas mileage, and great utility. My son is finally old enough to enjoy camping so I will be utilizing it more off-road. Here’s where the Honda falls short: virtually zero aftermarket support and limited off-road capability. I would like a vehicle that I can easily add a RTT or RTT Shell (GFC or AT Habitat etc…) and that could do more serious trails in the future. I’m looking for a RTT b/c the wife refuses to sleep in a ground tent and I don’t have an extra garage for a trailer. I live in Atlanta so there is no immediate need for a vehicle that can rock crawl.

Should I keep the Ridgeline and make due with the limited aftermarket support and trail capability? I can add JSport rack, RTT, and some A/T tires - that would cover my immediate needs, but doesn’t leave any room to grow. Or should I go ahead and pull the trigger on something else?

I really like the Gladiator (except the reliability of a FCA product and the high price tag). I love Toyota, but the Tacoma is a huge downgrade for everyday driving (terrible cabin). I like the idea of a trailer, but not too excited about renting a storage spot for it (I also like having everything at the house to encourage short notice trips).

Looking forward to the groups inputs - Thanks!

Reactions: Broke

hoch

Rank 0

Contributor I

Utah
First Name
Hoch
Last Name
S
I'd say run with what you've got until you find it really limiting your travels. Get some all-terrain tires and see what happens. There are some Youtube channels of people "soft"roading in the new Passports.

Adding an RTT should be easy and if you do decide to move to another midsize truck, everything will transfer right over.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

So you want to stay in the truck category? If so, consider the Dodge Ram. AEV is doing some great things with the platform and it has a ton of factory options outside of the dealer lot. They are building these, but each item is available to order as well. Snorkel, lifts (supports 40" tires with no change to load or towing capacity), wheels, electronics, leather interior, skids, dif plate, bumpers, bed rack and more.

If you want to get out of the truck category, there are two places I would consider:

Jeep JL for two reasons - Its been around a year longer than the Gladiator (JT) and there is a lot of crossover from the JK accessory line. Second, Its the swiss army knife of overlanders. It can be easily and (reasonably priced) configured to do anything.

My next option would be a Forerunner. TRD has done an excellent job of creating not only a cool, functional product, but supporting it with factory options outside of the showroom.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I don't know what kind of terrain you plan to traverse, but I would be surprised if the Ridgeline couldn't handle it.
It's your money... if you want a new vehicle go for it. Otherwise outfit the Ridgeline (may require some custom work), enjoy and be different.

Reactions: Broke and Baipin

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Depends. I can't judge your use. But if the wife hates ground tents, I don't see how a RTT wouldn't eventually bother her as well.

I'm tired of adverse weather. If I stick with overlanding, I'm getting a Bundutec or Capri camper. So I went F250. Most likely, my Fx4 crew cab cost about the same as a Ridgeline. I wanted room, cargo capacity, rear locker, and one ton axles that were locker friendly. Was really tired of my Jeep peeing on me as well. Getting old and soft, I guess.

The Gladiator Rubicon looks interesting to me. But is very expensive, and doesn't suit my needs. I'd love to have one, but there are no jeep roads left within 5 hours of me. Fullsize friendly dirt roads and/or tight motorcycles only trails, in my usual camping trips. Nothing in between.

Last edited:

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Just for the sheer respect of being prepared for what Mother nature may or may not have done to a the trail you are on I would switch to another type of vehicle. Also you don't want to drop money into a vehicle to find out it doesn't' do what you need when it come time for you to need it. I say switch it out!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hey, you're obviously ready to make the switch or you wouldn't be asking about it. Have you considered re-built vintage? Mine is 24 years old this coming January. For the past 100,000 miles I have slowly but surely rebuilt, re-bolted, refurbished, everything, except the bottom end, the transmission and the differentials. If you search enough you can find vintage vehicles that are completely rebuilt all the way through for a lot less money than anything new. Any new vehicle that even compares to my triple locked solid axled 80 series sells new for 52k and up, Way up ! If the engine goes in this I'd still only have half that into it. Not that you should re-build your own, but maybe you should consider an older more reliable, more capable, more cool factor vehicle, for about 1/3 the cost. Just a thought

ATL Bob

Rank 0

Contributor I

Atlanta
Thanks for the input so far. Here are some more details to keep the discussion going:

- Yes I'm set on keeping a pickup.
- It will remain my daily driver.
- Near term use is travel to state parks and forestry roads to remote campsites. Eventually I would enjoying seeking trails out to just "off-road", but my time is best spent now getting to the campsite to enjoy MTBing, Fishing, relaxing, etc...
- The most camping use the vehicle will see in the near term is 1 weekend/month and maybe 1 or 2 week-long trips a year.
- We have just starting camping in GA (we've only lived here for 5 yrs). I'm not sure how capable my vehicle needs to be to reach most campsites in the southeast (TN/GA/SC/NC). If I lived in CO or UT I would definitely jump to something more capable. Would love some input from others in the local area that could weigh in on whether the RL will get me to most places in the Southeast.
- I would love to build up an older vehicle, but my time is better spent camping vs. building right now. When my son gets closer to driving age we will most likely find a project vehicle for him.
- I'm not set on getting rid of the RL. It is probably the best fit for 95% of my needs. It obviously doesn't possess any of the "fun-factor" of other vehicles (e.g. a jeep), but not sure if that last 5% is worth a change.
- I haven't driven the Gladiator yet, but love the look and know there will be a ton of toys available. I owned a Wrangler which I enjoyed as a toy, but could not live with as DD. I've ridden in JKU's and think the ride is doable for a DD. Price of entry is kinda ridiculous though. The cost wouldn't kill me, but that's a lot of coin I could spend on other toys.
- I've owned a Tacoma and loved the reliability. Not sure I can go back to the front seat and give up all the space in the rear seats, but the Tacoma is an easy option b/c it would not cost that much to switch.

Thanks again for the input and keep it coming.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Should I keep the Ridgeline and make due with the limited aftermarket support and trail capability?
yes, do this. I dont hear any complaints about being limited by the vehicle. You are mostly talking about how to raise the standard for a camper. A new Gladiator will not make a difference there. A new TearDrop trailer will. A TearDrop trailer can be parked outside, in the driveway or second vehicle parking stall if you reside in an apartment. Buy the smallest, lightest TearDrop trailer, double bed always dry, kitchen across the back under the liftgate is comfortable cooking even in the rain. Cap the Ridgeline to carry all the other stuff and get out there. Travel.

Ot buy an old tiny travel trailer. Boler, Trillium, ??? You could tow those with a Datsun. Loaded they weigh 1000#. Shop used, find one for under $1000.00. If you buy something solid and secure to tow, your Daily Driver is unaffected. Drop the trailer and go to work. Drop the trailer and go for beer.... an RTT on the roof, over the box means you have to break camp to buy toilet paper.

The Ridgeline is plenty capable. We grew up camping, exploring, overlanding with a Front Wheel Drive Honda Wagon. We went everywhere.
Just Do It !! Ignore the online hype about "What you need" lol

Last edited:

hoch

Rank 0

Contributor I

Utah
First Name
Hoch
Last Name
S
- I'm not set on getting rid of the RL. It is probably the best fit for 95% of my needs. It obviously doesn't possess any of the "fun-factor" of other vehicles (e.g. a jeep), but not sure if that last 5% is worth a change.
- I haven't driven the Gladiator yet, but love the look and know there will be a ton of toys available. I owned a Wrangler which I enjoyed as a toy, but could not live with as DD. I've ridden in JKU's and think the ride is doable for a DD. Price of entry is kinda ridiculous though. The cost wouldn't kill me, but that's a lot of coin I could spend on other toys.
- I've owned a Tacoma and loved the reliability. Not sure I can go back to the front seat and give up all the space in the rear seats, but the Tacoma is an easy option b/c it would not cost that much to switch.

Thanks again for the input and keep it coming.
Again, I would just keep what you’ve got. Nothing what you said indicates you need anything more than a Ridgeline. In all honesty, 99% of my camping outings could be done in a Subaru. And it would handle better for a daily as well.

But if you do switch, just go for a full size. Don’t mess with another midsize. Your kid will thank you.

FX4Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Hood, TX, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
H
Member #

Looking for opinions. I’m considering changing vehicles. I currently drive a 2017 Honda Ridgeline AWD. It does everything I CURRENTLY need perfectly. It is roomy, comfortable, reliable, has great gas mileage, and great utility. My son is finally old enough to enjoy camping so I will be utilizing it more off-road. Here’s where the Honda falls short: virtually zero aftermarket support and limited off-road capability. I would like a vehicle that I can easily add a RTT or RTT Shell (GFC or AT Habitat etc…) and that could do more serious trails in the future. I’m looking for a RTT b/c the wife refuses to sleep in a ground tent and I don’t have an extra garage for a trailer. I live in Atlanta so there is no immediate need for a vehicle that can rock crawl.

Should I keep the Ridgeline and make due with the limited aftermarket support and trail capability? I can add JSport rack, RTT, and some A/T tires - that would cover my immediate needs, but doesn’t leave any room to grow. Or should I go ahead and pull the trigger on something else?

I really like the Gladiator (except the reliability of a FCA product and the high price tag). I love Toyota, but the Tacoma is a huge downgrade for everyday driving (terrible cabin). I like the idea of a trailer, but not too excited about renting a storage spot for it (I also like having everything at the house to encourage short notice trips).

Looking forward to the groups inputs - Thanks!

FX4Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Hood, TX, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
H
Member #

From my experience I would go as far as you can with the vehicle you have and possibly let your travels tell you when it's time to change. When I become more interested in doing more Jeep sized trails then I would look at switching. I'm currently using a full size truck. Granted it's not the most convenient when it comes to tighter trails or switchbacks but it's done everything I asked it to do. Now I chose not to do Black Bear Pass and chose to ride with a buddy in his JL Rubicon. I'm glad I did. The size of the truck would have made that a very stressful experience. But the truck has other advantages. It's comfy, due to its size, payload is ridiculous and I have a 36 gallon fuel tank. So what it lacks in some areas it makes up for in others. Just one opinion

hoch

Rank 0

Contributor I

Utah
First Name
Hoch
Last Name
S
@FX4Overlander - I did Black Bear a couple years ago in a Tacoma. It was tight enough in that truck. Couldn’t imagine taking a full size on it, although some people have. But for all other trails in the area (Imogene, Engineer, etc) , I would take my F150. Such a beautiful area. Can’t wait to go back.

FX4Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Hood, TX, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
H
Member #

@hoch I to have seen people do it in a full size truck. Not me. I did the Shafer switchbacks in Moab and backing up on those switchbacks and seeing nothing but sky out my rearview camera knowing that I had inches left gave me a real good idea how long my truck really was in comparison to a Wrangler. I can't wait to go back to Colorado. I already have my route planned for late September of 2020. I'm going to skip Tincup Pass this time and try Monarch Pass. Tincup was brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke and hoch

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You are caught up in Rig envy.It'is not about the gear, it is going. Just go and drive down some roads and camp and enjoy. Wife and I drove all over Baja in a sidan for a couple of years, than switched to a 2 wheel drive truck for a few more. (It was all we could afford at the time.) I didn't go some places I do now with a 4X4. Get a good tent for the son. you and the wife sleep in the back of the truck on a thermarest pad (or alike), some warm sleeping bags and get out there.

I was at the Overland Expo. and heard one of the vendors say, "most of this gear is used maybe 4 or 5 times a year and 1/2 of the time it's at a KOA." Use what you have, don't spend a bunch of money until you are using it a lot. By then you'll have a idea as to what you will buy next and what you want to do with it.

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I would absolutely replace a Ridgeline. The limitations you are running into are exactly what I would expect with that platform. But I wouldn't make a hasty purchase, particularly given that you can still have fun with it.

I would also be slow to get a Gladiator if that is what you have your eyes on. Wait until Fiat gets the bugs worked out of that one. Among other things, they seem to be a bit prone to going up in smoke. I would be inclined to attribute it to the first year of a new model.

I will also suggest you give a good look at the diesel Colorado. That may have some potential.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
@hoch I to have seen people do it in a full size truck. Not me. I did the Shafer switchbacks in Moab and backing up on those switchbacks and seeing nothing but sky out my rearview camera knowing that I had inches left gave me a real good idea how long my truck really was in comparison to a Wrangler. I can't wait to go back to Colorado. I already have my route planned for late September of 2020. I'm going to skip Tincup Pass this time and try Monarch Pass. Tincup was brutal.
I’ve been on the Shafer Rd multiple times so I gotta ask. Where did you need to back up? That road is wide and well maintained. I don’t know of any section of it that one needs to back up. Now, elephant hill switchbacks, yes, there is one section there. Pull in, back up.

FX4Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Hood, TX, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
H
Member #

I’ve been on the Shafer Rd multiple times so I gotta ask. Where did you need to back up? That road is wide and well maintained. I don’t know of any section of it that one needs to back up. Now, elephant hill switchbacks, yes, there is one section there. Pull in, back up.
@MOAK it was on the way up. Not sure which one was worse, but take into account this is an F150 supercrew. It’s a long truck. Not the shortest but also not the longest.