South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I am enjoying this isolation a little too much me thinks. Not having to deal with as many people, most days none at all, on a day to day basis has been a very pleasant experience for me. I guess I have always been a "friendly introvert". I don't avoid social situations and have a few friends that I still get together with to cook, hunt, fish. Nearly all of it is an outdoor setting and they are like me and don't put themselves in situations that lend to virus transmission. Except, with their grown children. The 20-30 yr olds aren't much worried about no stinkin' virus and don't adjust their lifestyle at all. I don't go around them if at all possible.

None of my friends are able to take off for days at time like I do. I know they think I am a little strange that I do a lot of my adventures alone. Oh, well. I no longer have the responsibilities that would keep me from coming and going on a moments notice. I know they are a little jealous. Maybe a lot! LOL. Well, there's work. But, I will be completely retired by the end of February...if I can get all the paperwork and insurance crap figured out. I am looking forward to doing some serious traveling. I hope to get my vaccine in the not too distant future and add a few mapping and communication items to my kit and be ready to hit the road for some serious adventure while I still have good health. There is so much out there to see and beautiful place to fish that I need to experience. I would love to meet up with some of you like minded adventurers at some point when this virus situation sorts itself out. Maybe by this summer?

Anyway, I was sort of kidding about being worried. I know I've always been a little different in that I don't have to constantly have to have people around me constantly to feel happy. I have known many that can't seem to do anything without others right there all the time. Too timid? I worry about them! I understand from reading here and and other places the stress that many are experiencing. I am beyond thankful that I am past raising my children and having to deal with people face to face constantly. It's been a long trek to get to this level of independence. I know how lucky and blessed I am. I hope the good lord will favor me with some more years to get some more of my bucket list checked off.. I would love to hear more how some of you are severing the ties . We are kind of selfish aren't we? LOL OK, time for another cup of coffee!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am enjoying this isolation a little too much me thinks.
It's been a long trek to get to this level of independence. I know how lucky and blessed I am. I hope the good lord will favor me with some more years to get some more of my bucket list checked off.
Congratulations!!

You are living the dream. Keep it up.

The only thing to worry about is those who are jealous and who will try to take your joy away from you. Ignore them and savor that which you are recognizing.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Sounds like you got a good plan for the future. I wish I had time to myself sometimes lol. Luckily I am still working and I don't have to deal with the public much. I basically sling chains for cranes and weld all day in a warehouse, then go straight home to my wife and toddler. No time for self sufficiency lmao.
My wife and I left the city and moved north last fall to be near her family, which helps with taking some of the pressure off us without having daycare available and both of us working full time. We also tend to get out and try to be as far away from others as possible even before Covid. We don't have friends here, we don't go out, we work and stay home at the moment. I have been more upset that I havn't had the time or ability to go out and explore lately than not being able to see friends.
Good luck and safe travels in the future.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
to me, people are like cooking with seasoning...

not every seasoning out there is going to go with your favorite dish, and the seasonings that do go with it, are better when used in moderation to enhance the experience, not overwhelm it.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
to me, people are like cooking with seasoning...

not every seasoning out there is going to go with your favorite dish, and the seasonings that do go with it, are better when used in moderation to enhance the experience, not overwhelm it.
Seems like the older I get the less I can eat the same thing repeatedly. I have to vary my diet constantly. I mean this literally and figuratively!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I am enjoying this isolation a little too much me thinks. Not having to deal with as many people, most days none at all, on a day to day basis has been a very pleasant experience for me. I guess I have always been a "friendly introvert". I don't avoid social situations and have a few friends that I still get together with to cook, hunt, fish. Nearly all of it is an outdoor setting and they are like me and don't put themselves in situations that lend to virus transmission. Except, with their grown children. The 20-30 yr olds aren't much worried about no stinkin' virus and don't adjust their lifestyle at all. I don't go around them if at all possible.

None of my friends are able to take off for days at time like I do. I know they think I am a little strange that I do a lot of my adventures alone. Oh, well. I no longer have the responsibilities that would keep me from coming and going on a moments notice. I know they are a little jealous. Maybe a lot! LOL. Well, there's work. But, I will be completely retired by the end of February...if I can get all the paperwork and insurance crap figured out. I am looking forward to doing some serious traveling. I hope to get my vaccine in the not too distant future and add a few mapping and communication items to my kit and be ready to hit the road for some serious adventure while I still have good health. There is so much out there to see and beautiful place to fish that I need to experience. I would love to meet up with some of you like minded adventurers at some point when this virus situation sorts itself out. Maybe by this summer?

Anyway, I was sort of kidding about being worried. I know I've always been a little different in that I don't have to constantly have to have people around me constantly to feel happy. I have known many that can't seem to do anything without others right there all the time. Too timid? I worry about them! I understand from reading here and and other places the stress that many are experiencing. I am beyond thankful that I am past raising my children and having to deal with people face to face constantly. It's been a long trek to get to this level of independence. I know how lucky and blessed I am. I hope the good lord will favor me with some more years to get some more of my bucket list checked off.. I would love to hear more how some of you are severing the ties . We are kind of selfish aren't we? LOL OK, time for another cup of coffee!

I'm the same, Rob. I'm absolutely fine being alone, whether long distance travel or camping for a day, week, or months. Been that way since I was a kid exploring everything before I could even drive, from woods and waters to big downtowns. I'm good with being alone, especially for long adventures. The only other person I know excited as I am about things when exploring, from new cities to ID-ing moths or mushrooms at our own pace, is my kid. Grown and has her own kid now, but we're still each other's fav adventure pal.

My own pace; that's the big thing. And quiet; that's another.

Being able to explore alone, whether fishing, on walkabout, or wandering some small town or big city, at my own pace and in relative quiet is the best way for me to absorb and learn. I notice more. I see and hear more. I feel much more in tune with wherever I am, and it all stays with me more. I also am more easily met that way, as the Quakers say. I get into more engaging and memorable conversations with others when I'm exploring alone than I would if I had someone with me.

Being comfortable in one's own skin and having confidence to move alone into any situation, or not, helps when out exploring. You have more wisdom about which situations, and which people, you want to engage. It's a strength.

You'll become even more that way when you start long-travel. You'll find too, if anything like me, that you'll automatically be drawn to, and attract, other solo travelers and form some long lasting friendships. Most of my best friends, both male and female, are other solo nomads who I've met when out camping and exploring.

Be happy to share a camp with you sometime and swap stories around a fire. I'm in Maine during the pandemic, but out on the road usually otherwise, from the woods and lakes of New England to the borderlands of the American southwest. Also have plans to return to the Maritime provinces of New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia as well as back around the northern side of the St Lawrence Seaway, and to continue research I've started across America South of I-10.

vanpal_1478-700.jpeg

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
My daily routine has changed very little during this COVID nonsense. My occupation (civil engineer, land surveyor) has been deemed essential so I haven't missed a single day of work. On the contrary, I'm busier now than I have been in a while. I found a gym with a defiant owner that has remained open continuously, so no change there, either. The only free-time I've gained is in the evenings since all my kids' activities have mostly been cancelled. I'm actually a bit envious of people who can work remotely. My job doesn't lend itself to that very well.

Reactions: Road and FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder

I'm the same, Rob. I'm absolutely fine being alone, whether long distance travel or camping for a day, week, or months. Been that way since I was a kid exploring everything before I could even drive, from woods and waters to big downtowns. I'm good with being alone, especially for long adventures. The only other person I know excited as I am about things when exploring, from new cities to ID-ing moths or mushrooms at our own pace, is my kid. Grown and has her own kid now, but we're still each other's fav adventure pal.

My own pace; that's the big thing. And quiet; that's another.

Being able to explore alone, whether fishing, on walkabout, or wandering some small town or big city, at my own pace and in relative quiet is the best way for me to absorb and learn. I notice more. I see and hear more. I feel much more in tune with wherever I am, and it all stays with me more. I also am more easily met that way, as the Quakers say. I get into more engaging and memorable conversations with others when I'm exploring alone than I would if I had someone with me.

Being comfortable in one's own skin and having confidence to move alone into any situation, or not, helps when out exploring. You have more wisdom about which situations, and which people, you want to engage. It's a strength.

You'll become even more that way when you start long-travel. You'll find too, if anything like me, that you'll automatically be drawn to, and attract, other solo travelers and form some long lasting friendships. Most of my best friends, both male and female, are other solo nomads who I've met when out camping and exploring.

Be happy to share a camp with you sometime and swap stories around a fire. I'm in Maine during the pandemic, but out on the road usually otherwise, from the woods and lakes of New England to the borderlands of the American southwest. Also have plans to return to the Maritime provinces of New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia as well as back around the northern side of the St Lawrence Seaway, and to continue research I've started across America South of I-10.

View attachment 189006
Funny, As you were sending this message, I was getting my first covid shot. Monday is my last official day of work. So, I'm sitting on ready, waiting on go! Most of my friends are too tied to their present lives to share much of mine. They think I'm a loner because I go off on my own a lot. My son has probably been my best travel partner but he is working and going to school and adventuring on his own a lot. Now that I don't have to be on a regular schedule I think I can swing some more time with him. I'm proud that he has become so independent. That was the goal there.

I feel exactly what you are saying about taking things in your own time and speed. Going where your instincts lead you. It's selfish in a way not to want to deal with other's timelines and expectations. I can do it, have done it, but the freedom to follow your own nose is hard to describe.
The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Jeremiah Johnson (Vocal Mix #2): Tim McIntire

I have been to Maine once camping and visiting. A great place to be on the coast in the heat of summer. Black flies were not as I expected! I would definitely like to meet up on the road somewhere! I use fishing as an excuse to travel but I think I mostly like seeing and experiencing new places. I have some questions for you. I will send a PM. You have experience that a few others on here have. I'm curious about some of your other equipment like the E-bike, your watercraft, and some food storage questions as well. Always looking for a better way to do things.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Funny, As you were sending this message, I was getting my first covid shot. Monday is my last official day of work. So, I'm sitting on ready, waiting on go! Most of my friends are too tied to their present lives to share much of mine. They think I'm a loner because I go off on my own a lot. My son has probably been my best travel partner but he is working and going to school and adventuring on his own a lot. Now that I don't have to be on a regular schedule I think I can swing some more time with him. I'm proud that he has become so independent. That was the goal there.

I feel exactly what you are saying about taking things in your own time and speed. Going where your instincts lead you. It's selfish in a way not to want to deal with other's timelines and expectations. I can do it, have done it, but the freedom to follow your own nose is hard to describe.

Jeremiah Johnson (Vocal Mix #2): Tim McIntire

I have been to Maine once camping and visiting. A great place to be on the coast in the heat of summer. Black flies were not as I expected! I would definitely like to meet up on the road somewhere! I use fishing as an excuse to travel but I think I mostly like seeing and experiencing new places. I have some questions for you. I will send a PM. You have experience that a few others on here have. I'm curious about some of your other equipment like the E-bike, your watercraft, and some food storage questions as well. Always looking for a better way to do things.
Cool - Happy to answer any questions to whatever degree I'm able! My way of doing things on the road and back country has evolved over a long time. It can best be summarized to "simple is better," and for storage, "if you listen to your gear it will tell you where it wants to live."

You can read a bit more about my eBike here: Rescue Bike / Scout / Pack Mule . I still love and use it as much as when I wrote that post.
Here's a short post on my canoe: Nomad Viking . Same with this, I still adore this boat as much as when I first bought it. I have a ton more images and need to write a lot more about it.
I have a mess of info and images on long-term travel and keeping/storing food that I've been meaning to work up into another article. It's usually a post like this; someone asking for advice from someone who's done it, that sets me in motion and gets words to paper.

Feel free to use email instead of in here. Far easier to access from more places and keep things in order easier. If you send a DM, I'll reply with my email address.

I'm envious of your initial prep and eagerness to get out adventuring. The planning and going over stuff in your head, thinking of possibilities and potential is often exciting as hell.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Yep, I'm never truly happy unless I'm planning or in the middle of some adventure. I'll be in touch soon. BTW, like your web site. I had looked at it a couple of times in the last year. Well, got to go finish cleaning out my office...not exactly an adventure but a step towards it!

Reactions: Road