Short week trip now CA forests are closed?

• HTML tutorial

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Hey everybody,

We were planning on a 5-6 day trip along CA 395 in a couple of weeks, including bagging Coyote Flats. Due to the forests still being closed, smoke, and fire danger, I'm thinking we might be heading towards Arizona (?) instead.

Any suggestions for off-the-beaten-track routes in Arizona with us coming from San Diego? I'm thinking maybe near Sedona or Prescott? Looking for easy-moderate routes (driving a lightly built Grand Cherokee Trailhawk) with nice scenery and away from the crowds with relatively isolated camping.

We have never explored Arizona, so not really sure exactly where to start - any suggestions would be most welcome!

Dorian

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Dorian
Last Name
Bilak
Member #

Expedition Portal did an article about a Northern Arizona Traverse that goes from Dewey-Humboldt to the Grand Canyon. I think it was about 190 miles long. You would have to check the weather since a lot of that area is at elevation where snow can be an issue.

If you like long epic trails, you could also look at a loop from California to Arizona and back. Maybe Mojave Trail going West to East. Starts near Barstow and finished near Bullhead City, AZ. Drive though Prescott and then return home along the Bradshaw Trail going from near Blyth to the Salton Sea. Finishes up close to home.

Reactions: KrelleKryl