Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My shift lever on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee doesn’t match up with the correct letter. Drive is neutral, reverse doesn’t register. What could cause this?3F0912FA-9C17-4715-9329-A34DACAC852E.jpeg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Start eng, foot on brake. Move the shifter to neutral. Don't look at the indicator. There are detents (gates) in the shifter that line up with the detents in the trans. Shift from neutral to drive and back to neutral. You will hit a gate on both ends. Now do the same with the button in and try to feel the detent in the trans. You should feel a "click" for neutral and drive. If they feel like their lined up, your problem is in the shifter. If not check where the cable attaches to the trans.

They don't normally come out of align unless something came loose or someone was working on it. Its been a while since I've realigned a Cherokee shifter. Normally there is a lock near the end of the cable near the trans. Disconnect cable at trans, put shifter in neutral, put trans in neutral. Unlock adjuster and reconnect to trans, lock adjuster. The cable end slides in and out for adjustment.

Coffee, soda or dirt over time gets into shifter and makes things stick. Some times the indicator has a plastic fork that points down and lines up with a pin on the side of the shifter. Unscrew the console top and look at how the indicator is attached. It should slide smoothly and have some attachment to the shifter.