Shenandoah Valley overland camping

• HTML tutorial

cop9980

Rank 0

Traveler I

Magnol
Hello, I wanted to see if there are any good places to set up camp with a nice view off I-81 anywhere from Knoxville,
Tennessee through Virginia as we head north east to NY? I have a rooftop tent on my Land Cruiser so I can camp anywhere, power is not required. We are coming up on Nashville traveling east on HWY 40. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

BillB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chesapeake, Virginia
Member #

Did you ever do any camping in the Shenandoah’s? I’m looking to plan a week trip there

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Shenandoah National Park may be your best option. There are several nice NPS campgrounds in the park if you are okay with an organized campground. It gets very busy. Big Meadows has great walk in sites back in the woods. Otherwise, the sites are close to each other. Reservations recommended. If you want overland camping, then camp in the George Washington National Forest. More off roading, fewer hikes. Also, there are places like Peaks of Otter on the Blue Ridge Parkway (south of the Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park) There may also be some off road camping near Crab Tree Falls, but some of those areas were closed.

BillB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chesapeake, Virginia
Member #

In the GWNF is the any pretty easy trails that lead to any overland campsites? I currently only have a 2wd truck but I’m trying to make the best of it

See my prior post for info in Switzer Lake area. Camping is allowed in areas beyond the lake. Also, look at Long Run Road and Second Mountain. Two wheel drive can easily make it to Bald Knob on Long Run, and there are many turn offs with camp sites. Be bear and fire safe. Enter the forest at Gospel Hill Mennonite Church, 6179 Hopkins Gap Rd, Fulks Run, VA 22830 for Long Run. All these roads are on Google Maps, but most areas have no cell.

Switzer Lake is just off 33 on the way to West Virginia. The road becomes Skidmore Fork Road then Dunkel Hollow Road which goes up to Flagpole Knob. (4x4 is recommended for just a few spots)

Switzer Lake, Central, VA 22831

Either area may have some gates, but mostly on side trails. Expect to get pin stripes in this area.

Here is info https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/recreation/camping-cabins/?cid=fseprd476979

... and try my app to track and share your vehicle build. automodlist.com

Reactions: bkone