Roister

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fairfax, VA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
DeHart
Hey Folks - Are you still gearing up for this? I am up for a day trip coming from MD. Do you have a trail picked out yet?

Turnerxc

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Is anyone coming from Overland East to do this trail ride? Myself and one more rig may leave The Expo and join you. We were thinking of hitting Flagpole on Saturday anyway.

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

Is anyone coming from Overland East to do this trail ride? Myself and one more rig may leave The Expo and join you. We were thinking of hitting Flagpole on Saturday anyway.
I think one person from OB is going to meet us in Madison.

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

Hey Folks - Are you still gearing up for this? I am up for a day trip coming from MD. Do you have a trail picked out yet?
Hi Roister, sorry that I did not get back to you earlier. Yes there are a number of trails that are available to us. I do have one specific Fire Road in mind it's several miles long and not traveled nearly as often as the others.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Hi Roister, sorry that I did not get back to you earlier. Yes there are a number of trails that are available to us. I do have one specific Fire Road in mind it's several miles long and not traveled nearly as often as the others.
Do you have coordinates for the start of the actual trail? My buddies and I may just meet you at the trail instead of driving so far out of the way up north. Thanks

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

Do you have coordinates for the start of the actual trail? My buddies and I may just meet you at the trail instead of driving so far out of the way up north. Thanks
Sheetz #205 Haymarket, I think, is the "way up north" waypoint you have in mind. I agree that would be out of the way.

If you're honestly committing to drive from the convention in Arrington for a day trip in Shenandoah then you'll likely fuel up at the last waypoint, #3, Sheetz #303.

The most direct route for you to this event is Rt. 29 directly to that waypoint. From there it's less than 5 miles to the trailhead. In fact, it's a 10 minute drive.

It's been my experience having coordinated this type of day event and larger expeditions that people are brought together when making introductions at a fuel point or food stop. Hands are shaken, names exchanged. Most importantly I'm able to give the event briefing once to everyone. I cover trail etiquette, safety, coordinate CB stations, and assign rigs for initial caravan duty such as tail. Not everyone going is at the same experience level. Lastly, "here we go, lights on" is given over CB meaning we won't stop at the trailhead. We send it ... respectfully because some of the trail passes by homes.

*Update*
Ah... I see that waypoint #3 was placed on the OB-East Facebook event for this and not here. I updated it here a minute ago. We always hit a trail with full tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turnerxc

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

So an early headcount has this event (posted elsewhere) will have just about 10 rigs. Several families with kids, a couple of trail dogs, and outfiited modified rigs all the way down to stock brand-new trucks and Jeeps. This ought to be an awesome time!

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

We had a fantastic time at this event! We had six Vehicles show up. We toured Rapidan area. Loads of rocky fire trails, some mud and narly inclines. We also encountered several folks coming to or going to the Overland Expo. Looking forward to setting up the next event I hope mower view can attend to that one. Be safe everyone!