Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Gerhard
Last Name
Erdelji
Member #

I recently moved to Seattle from Southern California and after spending all winter getting rained on, I think I have come to the decision to put a shell (topper) on my 2017 Toyota Tacoma. I was hoping that you locals here in the PNW would have some recommendations between Leer, ARE, Snugtop, etc.

What have you all found to be of high quality and generally watertight? What should I look out for?

As of now, it's not going to hold an RTT, but that might change at some point in the future. Any advice is welcome.

Thank you.

IMG_1990.JPG

Reactions: Kelly

FN-2187

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Gerhard
Last Name
Erdelji
Member #

This is the set-up I want...

Nice! However, I should have been more clear. I'm looking for a cab high, sleek looking shell. Sort of like this:

image.jpg

I found this image in Google, not my truck. Just sort of the look I'm thinking of.

Reactions: Kelly

Gsp Chaser

Rank 0

Traveler I

Seattle
Not sure if you got the decided on a canopy yet...I have a cab high ARE on my Tacoma. The quality is fine, I'm guessing not a lot of difference between ARE, Leer, and Century.

I am, however, disappointed with rainwater dripping off the door hinge onto my load / sleeping platform. This is probably unavoidable due to the aerodynamic sloping rear, and I'm trying to figure out a gutter system to keep the drip out. For this reason, I almost wish I'd gone with an aluminum shell; lighter weight and vertical rear door surface.

FN-2187

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Gerhard
Last Name
Erdelji
Member #

Not sure if you got the decided on a canopy yet...I have a cab high ARE on my Tacoma. The quality is fine, I'm guessing not a lot of difference between ARE, Leer, and Century.

I am, however, disappointed with rainwater dripping off the door hinge onto my load / sleeping platform. This is probably unavoidable due to the aerodynamic sloping rear, and I'm trying to figure out a gutter system to keep the drip out. For this reason, I almost wish I'd gone with an aluminum shell; lighter weight and vertical rear door surface.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually ordered a Snugtop Rebel, cab high with two windoors and reinforced roof for possible RTT in the future. From doing a bit of research, it was my impression that Snugtops had the better reputation for being a bit more rain resistant. They have what looked to be a deeper channel to route water away from the sloped opening at the back. I should have it delivered and installed in the next week or so. If it continues to be as rainy as it has been, I'll have some feedback pretty quickly. Fingers crossed.

Gsp Chaser

Rank 0

Traveler I

Seattle
Hope it works well for you. I've actually been considering selling mine and looking for a cap with a small rise. I'll take a look at Snugtop and see if their door design looks like it will eliminate the drip.

The only leakage I've had with mine has been at the cap / bedrail seating. I've had to install a new gasket a couple of times. I think the bedrail caps make it hard to seal. Hopefully your Snugtop dealer has a good solution for that.

Reactions: FN-2187

FN-2187

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Gerhard
Last Name
Erdelji
Member #

The Snugtop came in and was installed today. Rebel with windoors on both sides, reinforced roof in case I go with an RTT in the future, and LED inside.

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG