Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I was wondering if there are any recommended trails near Shaver Lake that have nice dispersed camping opportunities. I wanted to take some newbies down and thought we’d spend the first night at Camp Edison then find some more remote camping for a night or two depending on how they do.

Are any of the routes we used for last year’s OB Shaver Lake trip good candidates? It looks like there’s quite a bit of public land in that area according to the info on Gaia.

Thanks

snozberries

Rank 0

Traveler I

Martinez, CA
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Maxon
Decent spots if you go up Bald Mountain area, somewhere near: 37.123125, -119.174988. Obviously if you go up that way, you'll be away from water/lake. If you can make the run up to the tower, got some good views up there.

Reactions: Chris Sledge

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Yes, we went to the top last year during the OB event. I wasn't sure if that is all BLM land and camping is allowed. Great views but it was partially clouded/fogged in, windy and chilly. I heard most of the snow is gone and it should be good this weekend.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Yes, you are correct. We went to the top of Bald Mt. on Saturday and talked to the ranger there. They are still working on many of the other trails and should be open soon. We had to go up and back from Dinkey Creek because the north route was still closed. The trail was super busy due to it being the only one open.

The ranger suggested calling the Prather ranger station for the latest updates.

Brian T.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
T
Member #

Yes, you are correct. We went to the top of Bald Mt. on Saturday and talked to the ranger there. They are still working on many of the other trails and should be open soon. We had to go up and back from Dinkey Creek because the north route was still closed. The trail was super busy due to it being the only one open.

The ranger suggested calling the Prather ranger station for the latest updates.
So did you just come back or still looking to go? I'm heading up there Thursday, also looking for some remote camping spots....the weekend looks like it will be very busy, camp Edison pretty much booked up. So I may have some advice next week based on what we find.....I hate going to the mountains and finding crowds, but that's pretty much the norm these days.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Yes, I was there last week. There were a couple of spaces available for Friday night at Camp Edison so we grabbed one. There are lots of spots along the road into Dinkey Creek but most of them were taken by large groups with RVs and trailers for their crawlers and other toys. Once you get into the off-road sections I didn't notice a lot of dispersed camping but there was only one road open and I came through late morning so people were probably already packed up. There should be more roads open next week so y ou should be able to find a spot.

NoOneBetter

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Just checking in for any updates. I'm probably heading to Bald Mountain this weekend. Was hoping to hit Strawberrry Lake but looks like the trail wont be open until the 15th.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Was up in the area last weekend. Confirming that yes, only Bald Mtn Trail is open. All the lake trails are expected to open the 15th.

Reactions: NoOneBetter

ootnaboot

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Graziano
I was just at Courtright Reservoir this past weekend. So beautiful! We stayed near the Maxson Trailhead. There's a OHV trail that takes you to Voyager Rock primitive camping. Not sure how to get access to it. (The gate was down.) But it's a gorgeous area if you decide you want to venture east of Shaver. Cheers!

Reactions: NoOneBetter

NoOneBetter

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Was up in the area last weekend. Confirming that yes, only Bald Mtn Trail is open. All the lake trails are expected to open the 15th.
I was just at Courtright Reservoir this past weekend. So beautiful! We stayed near the Maxson Trailhead. There's a OHV trail that takes you to Voyager Rock primitive camping. Not sure how to get access to it. (The gate was down.) But it's a gorgeous area if you decide you want to venture east of Shaver. Cheers!
Thanks for the updates. Really hoping that the trail isn't too busy but might not be the case since the others arent open yet.

ghettoflow21

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Ragasa
Thanks for the updates. Really hoping that the trail isn't too busy but might not be the case since the others arent open yet.
Where you planning on heading? Bald Mountain? We were thinking of doing Bald Mountain and camping there Friday night, then hitting Strawberry Lake Saturday morning and camp there for one night.

Do you think people with stock rigs can get to Strawberry Lake? Saw your post on your T4R build thread and we'll have a stock 5th Gen with us.

NoOneBetter

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Where you planning on heading? Bald Mountain? We were thinking of doing Bald Mountain and camping there Friday night, then hitting Strawberry Lake Saturday morning and camp there for one night.

Do you think people with stock rigs can get to Strawberry Lake? Saw your post on your T4R build thread and we'll have a stock 5th Gen with us.
Just went to Bald Mountain this past weekend. Strawberry lake is going to be tough for a stock rig. I doubt it'd be passable with a stock 5th gen. Last time I ran Strawberry, I was lifted 3" and still had some minor bumper scrapes.

ghettoflow21

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Ragasa
Just went to Bald Mountain this past weekend. Strawberry lake is going to be tough for a stock rig. I doubt it'd be passable with a stock 5th gen. Last time I ran Strawberry, I was lifted 3" and still had some minor bumper scrapes.
Any recommendations on an easier trail near Bald Mountain to spend a night?

Brian T.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
T
Member #

Lots of good spots.....take Dinkey Creek Road, turn left on Rock Creek Road.... go past the staging area for the Bald Mountain trail (which is on the left)....then you can explore a bit, lots of little off shoots to camp and find spots.

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Here are a bunch of coord. we used.

Shaver Lake Trapper Springs Campground, 37.1002225, -118.9853907
Voyager Rock trail head: 37.082331, -118.963362
Bald Mountain trail head: 37.101400, -119.169700
Strawberry Lake/ Red Mountain trail head: 37.195251 -119.204286

Here is ham repeater we used in the area.

Local Repeaters 2M Shaver Lake repeater 146.820 - PL 141.3

One of our 120 club member NoOneBetter video of Shaver Lake trip 2016 in his almost stock Runner.

Last edited: