Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maysville, GA, USA
First Name
Vman1313
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Soooo would love to get peoples thoughts on sharing GPX files, specific locations, and routes in general. I've been called selfless when it comes to others and have been known to go out of my way to help others as much as possible. I am also a straight up NERD GEEK when it comes to maps and will proudly admit it. I study maps like they are on a college final exam. I have ridden almost every dirt road in the vicinity whether on my motorcycle or in my Jeep. I have put countless hours into making maps ad routes and classifying them into hard medium easy and into motorcycle vs 4x4 and well on and on.

ANYWAY, I have a hard time sharing GPX files with people I dont know or have never met. I have a hard time sharing because I don't want to share with idiots OR people who will go out and be irresponsible and get our few places left to ride closed down. I don't want to share with people who are too lazy to open up google and create their own. I don't want to share with people who are to lazy to go explore on their own and create their own.

Am I crazy ? Am I wrong? Am I right? Is there a right or wrong?

Comment - Thoughts - Opinions!?!?!?!?!?

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

I think you're totally right. I've always been comfortable sharing with people on here though, since I assume the kind of person joining Overland Bound is going to be someone who I can trust to take care off road!

I recently shared a route on a small Facebook group and one person took my route and shared it on a national Facebook group with thousands of members. I wasn't happy!

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
Soooo would love to get peoples thoughts on sharing GPX files, specific locations, and routes in general. I've been called selfless when it comes to others and have been known to go out of my way to help others as much as possible. I am also a straight up NERD GEEK when it comes to maps and will proudly admit it. I study maps like they are on a college final exam. I have ridden almost every dirt road in the vicinity whether on my motorcycle or in my Jeep. I have put countless hours into making maps ad routes and classifying them into hard medium easy and into motorcycle vs 4x4 and well on and on.

ANYWAY, I have a hard time sharing GPX files with people I dont know or have never met. I have a hard time sharing because I don't want to share with idiots OR people who will go out and be irresponsible and get our few places left to ride closed down. I don't want to share with people who are too lazy to open up google and create their own. I don't want to share with people who are to lazy to go explore on their own and create their own.

I know of at least one lazy idiot who greatly appreciates all the hard work y’all do :D

Yourself, Mr. Giguere, the folks at BDR, and everyone else like y’all are doing us a great service. It encourages me to get out there and explore.

Reactions: TexasGXGuy

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

I feel the same. I spend some time making maps and collecting tracks. I do share, but selectively. some of it represents a lot of hours or, like you said, shows where some of my favourite places are. even avoiding mentioning names of places in blogs. i'll take people i think are cool there no problem, but guard some things carefully. i don't want to lose access to some very cool places.

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

Sharing to like minded community that are responsible and respectful of the environment is welcome. We loose access from abuse like leaving garbage behind, riding soft trail, etc. Sometimes access is restricted for reclamation and regenation and that's okay.

Reactions: Overland_Bubba

BWSmith

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I would hope that in this community, at least between members, some sharing would be a benefit of association. The problem perhaps is sharing on a broader social platform.

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
I just spent a couple of hours trying to find a place to camp this weekend without much luck. Granted, the internet offers a lot of distractions. I own the book "Guide to California Backroads" and I appreciate that but know it contributes to trail overcrowding. Is there another place I should be looking? I worked for National Geographic Maps for a few years and am passionate about maps. As someone who just wants to find a nice OHV trail and dispersed camping spot, I feel lost.

Suncoma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Crystal Springs, MS, USA
First Name
Leo
Last Name
Caballero
Member #

I think it a good idea to share them. Usually within five minutes of a conversation you know a person’s worth, there’s a lot of Overlanders that are just getting started and many don’t know where they can legally go when they want to go off road. I for one just arrived in southern Georgia and it’s difficult to find people who will tell you where you can ride. At the end of the day just follow your heart and from personal experience, I believe that our great Lord above will put the right people before you to benefit from your experiences.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
In person I know who to share with and who not to. On OB I figure we are all "Right Minded" and would share most routes/trails. Now if it is something super special, then maybe I share by guiding some folks from here.....

Jim

FJDaveM2

Rank II
Investor

Contributor III

Woodland, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Sieferman
Member #

I can totally see where you are coming from. I also think that part of the education is being able to work through the planning process as it relates to routes and maps. I love maps too!

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I also have torn feelings about the sharing. Some mention a community...this one is approaching 30K. That’s a ton of people. Most have come here not to share, but to gather information. I have put up over 4000 miles and that is a very conservative number. I have much more fun TEACHING others how to find the cool stuff In their area and how to stay legal.
I am currently sharing on a paid subscription level. I still build routes for friends or drop a set of coords now and then, but not like I used to. Call me grumpy. So it is.

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

As a new "Member" I like the idea of sharing but understand those with reservations in doing so. My suggestion on the maps thread was to add / share routes on the OB Map. Its my understanding that a membership grants access to a few additional threads / forums but for me (outside of supporting like minded people) the appeal of membership was access to map features. I am sure its my location (Missouri) that limits trails, but after much research and going against my better judgement, I have inserted myself into some social media platforms to find places somewhat local to me. Had these places been on the OB Map I would feel my OB juice would be worth the squeeze. On a 3000 mile trip from MO to ID I ended up not using the OB map at all and found other free apps to be of more value.
Now if I find a spot that should be safeguarded from irresponsible Overlanders, then Yes. I will be protective of those place and share accordingly.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
As a new "Member" I like the idea of sharing but understand those with reservations in doing so. My suggestion on the maps thread was to add / share routes on the OB Map.
They are in the “Downloads” section. Only available to paid members. That map would me so overloaded, they would have to build an app just for the mapping....oh wait, that’s happening.
go download all the shared files here. Plenty to do but maybe not in your immediate area.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Can you share the link to that location? This is a door I have not fund in the forum yet.
Trail/GPX file input into the app will be coming out very soon. Member driven data will help make the OB1 map a great resource.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I feel like sharing is a great thing. There's many times that I see people saying they aren't going to tell where the cords are or they won't post a map file and so on but, IN MY OPINION, some folks do it out of selfishness. Everyone isn't going to run out and go to the same spot. Not sharing files isn't going to stop the folks who don't know how to act or pick up trash. It may...MAY, slow it down. Also there are people who aren't as gifted as others when it comes to reading maps and finding the correct areas and locations. For me it's various things. If i was always by myself then sure, not as big of an issue with not getting gpx files and stuff. But when you have other people with you relying on you and children relying on you, then being able to get those files and POI are greatly helpful and appreciated. But then again if I come across someone(s) that seem as if they aren't worthy then no file for them! LOL!! :tearsofjoy: But all in all, thank you for the files you create and share! I don't have any yet. lol

BWSmith

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Like many of you, I have spent more than a few hundred hours collating, analyzing, and virtually viewing tracks all over the Western US. While I am unlikely to share those en masse with anyone besides family, I am happy to share track suggestions, GPX files, and the results of my own exploration with those whom I judge to be responsible and who won't share it indiscriminately. I would include those on this forum as likely to be in that group.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
I have the same resistances. I struggle with the idea that I've spent hours combing over maps and researching areas and poking my nose down every damned spur track off a FS road. Then someone posts on a FB group: "I want a camp in this area with this kind of trail and these kinds of trees next to water and perfect weather. Send me coords." That frustrates me because to me, this is about getting out there and finding your own places. You have to explore. You have to put the work in to find special places. I'm willing to tell people to check out an area or to explore spur roads off a FS road. I'm willing to share my process for finding places. And for my good friends who I know will take care of the places, I'm willing to send coordinates. But I'd rather show people how to find their own places than just gift them all the hard work I've put in.

Reactions: Ubiety

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

Trail/GPX file input into the app will be coming out very soon. Member driven data will help make the OB1 map a great resource.
i am intrigued by this as to my understanding the "maps" only work when you have cell phone service. am i missing something here

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
i am intrigued by this as to my understanding the "maps" only work when you have cell phone service. am i missing something here
More to come on that subject.

Reactions: EXPO_D1