Share your Overlanding videos here

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I really liked your video -- very well shot, edited, and presented. I also liked how you reflected the video sections in the scrub track at the bottom -- I'll have to learn that particular skill. I'll watch your vid again with my wife later too, and I recognize some of the sights I think from some of the Aussie 4x4 magazines and videos I've watched over the years. Thanks for sharing that!

Good idea for a thread too. I've posted my vids in their own threads before but it would be great to have a one-stop-shop for all of them. Speaking only for my wife and I, we have no interest in becoming "you tubers" -- I'm actually considering moving over to Vimeo to host/share our vids with friends, family, and communities we are parts of. We just like making the record for future generations, and I enjoy the process of filming and editing as a hobby so this is our way of bringing both hobbies together.

I had to take a bunch of my trip videos down for reasons I won't get into now, but I've been able to keep our most recent one up. It's a trip report video of our Dice Roll Challenge -- it's explained in the video, but essentially we took two weeks to do an overland trip with no plan at all, just a dice. Each morning we'd roll the dice and if we rolled a 1, we'd go north that day, 2 would be east, 3 south, 4 west, 5 was stay put and 6 was "Rollers Choice". We had a blast and will do it again someday -- with COVID restrictions it can be a great way of getting out and exploring in a more local way too!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Thanks for sharing!! You guys have bears on the side of the road! That's a bit crazy, are they dangerous? We don't have bears in Australia, except Koalas :tearsofjoy:
I loved the camp site on the side of the lake, definitely worth staying those extra few days. The roll the dice idea is really cool, great idea.
We do indeed have bears! Mostly black bears, but I've had a few Grizzley bear encounters which are always a bit of a thrill, even from a distance. Bears are "Dangerous" in the same way I understand Saltwater Crocs are "Dangerous" -- they'll have a go and really ruin your day if you don't behave right or mess around in ways that a Salty/Bear dislikes, but with some basic awareness and precautions, most people get by just fine. Of course, the precautions for Salties seems to be "Stay out of their territory at all costs" whereas for bears it's more like "keep food smells low, make noise while hiking, don't mess with cubs" -- but the idea is the same, follow the steps and they won't bother you. It's their bush, we're just visiting it after all!

You forgot the other kind of Australian bear -- the Drop Bear ;)

Julzamd

Rank I

Traveler I

Surrey, BC, Canada
First Name
Julian
Last Name
Derilo
Member #

Man I wanna first start of by saying you guys are awesome! Love the idea of riding a bike and have your partner follow you along the way. I too am a rider which made me enjoy this video even more. Keep it up and happy travels you guys!

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Man I wanna first start of by saying you guys are awesome! Love the idea of riding a bike and have your partner follow you along the way. I too am a rider which made me enjoy this video even more. Keep it up and happy travels you guys!
Thanks Julzamd! I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement! We have a blast on these trips. The bike is kitted out with a SENA headset and adapter, so I have 2M ham radio comms with the 4x4. We've travelled this way through most of Western Canada, including a run through Alaska to Prudhoe Bay.

Also travelling by motorbike (as I'm sure you know) is just such a different experience, and the more "Foreign" your license plate gets, the better the trip tends to be. Not only are you much more immersed in the 'environment' (good and bad!), but at least in my experience, I meet WAY more people on Moto than I do in a 4x4, and having them both together gives us a gateway to interactions that I think we'd otherwise miss (such as meeting those nice fellas on their way to Hyder in that video I shared). I can't remember the last time I stopped for gas on a trip after about 4:00 PM where I wasn't asked a ton of questions about who I was, where I was going, and most importantly -- if I needed anything by friendly strangers. I've been invited to camp in peoples yards, join them for family dinner, and so much more. One time I was coming back through southern BC, and pulled into a provincial park that just happened to be fully booked, but I didn't know that. I drove into the campground and did a slow loop looking for a space, and when I got to the end I met a fellow who explained they rented out the entire campsite for a family reunion. I made my apologies for disturbing them, but he would have none of it -- he insisted I pitch my tent in the shade of his monster RV, and I enjoyed a full afternoon and evening with him, his immediate family, and all his cousins, grandkids, uncles, etc. that were in attendance. It was one of my most treasured memories of road happenstance, and I owe it all to being on "Hobbes", my Triumph Tiger!

That being said, not all of our trips have both rigs -- our family situation has changed a bit where the Moto isn't as practical. Not giving it up, its just not getting as much use as it used to. We'll see what the future holds!

Ride safe my friend and thanks again for the kind words!

Reactions: Julzamd

black pearl 17

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

calgary, alberta, canada
First Name
christian
Last Name
scagliati
Member #

I really liked your video -- very well shot, edited, and presented. I also liked how you reflected the video sections in the scrub track at the bottom -- I'll have to learn that particular skill. I'll watch your vid again with my wife later too, and I recognize some of the sights I think from some of the Aussie 4x4 magazines and videos I've watched over the years. Thanks for sharing that!

Good idea for a thread too. I've posted my vids in their own threads before but it would be great to have a one-stop-shop for all of them. Speaking only for my wife and I, we have no interest in becoming "you tubers" -- I'm actually considering moving over to Vimeo to host/share our vids with friends, family, and communities we are parts of. We just like making the record for future generations, and I enjoy the process of filming and editing as a hobby so this is our way of bringing both hobbies together.

I had to take a bunch of my trip videos down for reasons I won't get into now, but I've been able to keep our most recent one up. It's a trip report video of our Dice Roll Challenge -- it's explained in the video, but essentially we took two weeks to do an overland trip with no plan at all, just a dice. Each morning we'd roll the dice and if we rolled a 1, we'd go north that day, 2 would be east, 3 south, 4 west, 5 was stay put and 6 was "Rollers Choice". We had a blast and will do it again someday -- with COVID restrictions it can be a great way of getting out and exploring in a more local way too!

GUYS.!!! love the idea of rolling the dices my wife and I are always in the constant dilema of where to go...... we are in calgary, weather was totally a pooper pretty much all summer...

CHRISTIAN SCAGLIATI
freelance photography
www.christianscagliati.com
INSTAGRAM

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
GUYS.!!! love the idea of rolling the dices my wife and I are always in the constant dilema of where to go...... we are in calgary, weather was totally a pooper pretty much all summer...

CHRISTIAN SCAGLIATI
freelance photography
www.christianscagliati.com
INSTAGRAM
Glad you like the idea! I’d love to hear how it works out for you!

Cool videos too! We have some beautiful campsites in Alberta.

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

i try to upload some killer vids ...... but ....i have to contact administrator ? what !!!!??? why !!! how about freedom !!! screw this ! going back to face book , anything is free there .... shame !!! :weary: :weary: :weary: :weary: :weary: :weary: