Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

So I moved to San fransisco a couple years ago and had to get rid of my jeep and my camping gear. I’ve recently been itching to get back out on the trails so I’ve begun my rebuilding. My new overlander of choice (or convenience) is a 2004 Subaru forester 2.5X base model. I got it for free from a customer who bought it new and didn’t feel it was worth fixing after nearly 20 years and 200k. It had a blown head gasket and was generally worn out from use as a family wagon.

Attachments

loweredexpectations4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

So I set to work fixing the head gasket and replacing the dirty cloth seats and carpet with a second hand black leather interior from a XT. The heated seats have been an amazing upgrade.

Attachments

Reactions: SJ Dave and MazeVX

loweredexpectations4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

Set my sights next on gaining some altitude. After a weeks of research and endless arguments and opposing views on the forums on lift and tire size limits I decided to go with 3” lift and 205/85 R16 tires to get maximum ground clearance. I decided to use a 3” strut spacer lift without dropping the subframe, I removed the sway bars to encourage as much travel as I can with the independent suspension. While I had the suspension apart I swapped the rear drums for disc breaks off the same XT that gave me the interior. For tires I went with a wired size, 205/85R16 Achilles M/T. These wound up being about the same width as the original tires but as tall as 235/75 r15 tires on original steel rims. Keeping the width down allowed me to (barely) clear the lower spring perches without wheel spacers. Removed the mud flab’s and trimmed the fender liner and body seam. It still rubs at full lock but that’s the price you pay for ground clearance.

Attachments

Last edited:

loweredexpectations4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

Then time for it’s first test! Took a day trip out to a water Hole I know close to me. Mostly just fire roads but got to test it on some small hill climbs, rutted out side trails, and more than a few water crossings. Coming from a well built jeep im pretty impressed with how well it handled off road.

Attachments

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Oh man that looks like fun! We bought a 2003 on eBay back in 2011 – same color as yours. Had low miles, but I think it was used as a delivery vehicle or something because it has many issues and was really beat up. I fixed it up and we drove it for years. Never bought another car on eBay though, that's for sure. :grin:

Good luck with it, already looks cool with the MTs!

loweredexpectations4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

Oh man that looks like fun! We bought a 2003 on eBay back in 2011 – same color as yours. Had low miles, but I think it was used as a delivery vehicle or something because it has many issues and was really beat up. I fixed it up and we drove it for years. Never bought another car on eBay though, that's for sure. :grin:

Good luck with it, already looks cool with the MTs!
Thanks!!! Even though mine is really high millage the previous owner took really good care of it mechanically. I’ve got the records on it from my shop going back to 2007. It was a well loved and well used vehicle.

loweredexpectations4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

Today took the forester in to the shop to give it an inspection before heading on a three day off road trip over the forth of July. While I was I. The shop I installed a modification I’ve been working. It’s a couple relays and a resistor that take control of the AWD duty solenoid to lock the center diff while giving the TCM the dummy load so it doesn’t get mad and light up my dash. I’ll see how well it works on this trip and make a more permanent circuit board for it.

Attachments

loweredexpectations4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

Took the forester out on its first off road camping trip! Three days in the sierras! It handled really well a for a first real off road trip! Did wind up breaking the front bumper off but that just means it’s time for some armor.

Attachments

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
This is a fun, approachable build. I wish that I'd read about the 205/85R16 option before I shelled out for my 215/70R16s! Oh well, next time.
Our builds have similar trajectories, it seems. I'm building up a bit of a worn 2004 BH Outback. Doing the 3" coil spacer lift and brakes and CDL mod. I've finally gotten the suspension cleaned up enough and new bearings in that I finally feel like I'm starting off from a clean enough starting point.
Keep on wrenching and wheeling! I hope to see you on the trail someday!

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@loweredexpectations4x4 Nice rig! Most vehicles with even the simplest of AWD configurations can tackle more than they will ever see, given a half-decent driver behind the wheel.

I sort of laugh in the face of built Jeeps, since I've seen a lot of self-righteous folks who buy them for their off-road capabilities without bothering to install the appropriate driver mods.

Subaru is no slouch in the off-road scene, but its limit is reached where low range is required. Exceptionally versatile vehicles, otherwise!