Setting New Goals (coming back down to earth)

• HTML tutorial

felixkb76

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
When I first found out about overlanding (3mo ago), I naturally felt that I had to get involved. I immediately started researching rigs and finally decided that I wanted to buy a fifth Gen 4Runner. I did all this without being practical on my current financial situation. To get the 4Runner that I wanted, it would take a minimum of 2yrs and about $15k down payment. I didn't take into account that this idea was going to conflict with my original idea of getting into overlanding "ASAP".

Now, that I've "switched up my gears", I'm ready to look for an affordable Toyota to start my "baby steps" in overlanding. I know that I want a Toyota (because they're the most dependable), but I'm not sure which model and year. There are a lot of FJ Cruisers for sale, but they just don't have the room for my family. I guess I'm looking at a 4Runner, Land Cruiser, or one of those Lexus GX470's?

I could sure use some help in this.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: emmons.william

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Not to dissuade you but Toyota is an expensive brand. Not without reason of course, they are dependable and rugged. They hold their value great too. But what I'm trying to say is have you considered other vehicles? Maybe older clean SUV's or pickups? What do you currently drive? With a little creativity and some basic A/T tires could it be your overlander? Maybe for now you can start with more road tripping and dirt roading with a current vehicle as you continue to learn your needs and wants for a future vehicle. I'm not saying don't go with a Toyota. They have great vehicles and maybe other members can chime in who have built them. I'm just saying get out there with what you got and your plans may fall into place as you go [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Not to dissuade you but Toyota is an expensive brand. Not without reason of course, they are dependable and rugged. They hold their value great too. But what I'm trying to say is have you considered other vehicles? Maybe older clean SUV's or pickups? What do you currently drive? With a little creativity and some basic A/T tires could it be your overlander? Maybe for now you can start with more road tripping and dirt roading with a current vehicle as you continue to learn your needs and wants for a future vehicle. I'm not saying don't go with a Toyota. They have great vehicles and maybe other members can chime in who have built them. I'm just saying get out there with what you got and your plans may fall into place as you go [emoji106]

There's 5 Toyota trucks and suv's in my family. When i got into this it was a sure thing my rig was gonna be Toyota!....
So I bought a Ford! It was the truck I needed at the time.
P.S. My family didn't even disown me:)

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@maxfederle89 gives some good advice, I agree that you should consider others.

Now let me put my Toyota hat on and say that the vehicles that you are looking at are the right ones!

And, the GX470 is currently flying a little bit under the radar as far as an Overlanding vehicle of choice.

There are an increasing number of companies that are supporting this vehicle now, which means that it will become more expensive as a used vehicle... IMO.

The FJCruiser, as good as it is, is small and clearly you've said that it doesn't fit your needs. It has become one of the 'darlings' of an overland vehicle to some.

My advice... look around but see if you can find a nice, clean GX470 with the right options and start there.

There you have it!

G'luck!. Dan.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I also agree. When I set out to look for a truck, I searched by features and not brand. I had never even thought of a Frontier and once I test drove what is now my truck, I had to have it. Also, price is why I did not get a Jeep.
Boy I hear you on the Jeep. Now I don't have anything against Wranglers or the people that love them. But I live around quite a few Wrangler people and their opinion is "wrangler or bust!" and I just don't agree! There are so many great offroad-weekend-warrior-dirt-every-day-overlanding machines and I don't think a person has to spend a lot of money to get started.

HankinWI

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Crosse, La Crosse County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Hank
Last Name
Brinlee
Member #

@felixkb76, remember that it's all about the journey, not necessarily what is taking you on the journey. Maxfederle89 hit the nail on the head with the "not having to spend a lot of money." statement.

If we all waited for that perfect vehicle, we'd probably never leave our couches...

Last edited:

felixkb76

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas

I currently don't have any 4x4 to use overlanding. I have seen some Land Cruisers in the $12k range that are easily affordable. I'm probably going to use that route, but I'm not sure how I feel about that big V8. I saw that in that V8 a trip from Austin to Yellowstone NP would cost around $500?

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I currently don't have any 4x4 to use overlanding. I have seen some Land Cruisers in the $12k range that are easily affordable. I'm probably going to use that route, but I'm not sure how I feel about that big V8. I saw that in that V8 a trip from Austin to Yellowstone NP would cost around $500?

What are your current vehicles if you don't mind me asking?

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Also, I did a quick search on that Lexus you mentioned and found this.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/129-0407-2004-lexus-gx470-customization/
I love me some sleeper and oddball rigs and this really caught my eye! I don't know if this build is for the faint at heart, but it sure turned out cool. And it took on the Rubicon! I would tend to agree with @fj80toyman this thing could be a great choice if the aftermarket support is there and the used car prices are still low! It looks like this article was way back in 2004 so anything is possible as far as parts and lifts go.

And here's some epic inspiration! These are cool!

Last edited:
Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
If you follow Andrew St. Pierre-White's videos at all, he's an interesting South African that spent some time here around the overland Expo time.

He drove a GX470 during his time here this year and basically concluded that the GX was the replacement for the 80 series Landcruiser.

Sorry, I can't link to his videos on my phone, look him up on YouTube.

Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

If you follow Andrew St. Pierre-White's videos at all, he's an interesting South African that spent some time here around the overland Expo time.

He drove a GX470 during his time here this year and basically concluded that the GX was the replacement for the 80 series Landcruiser.

Sorry, I can't link to his videos on my phone, look him up on YouTube.

Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
Here is a link to his channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/4xforum

Find the playlist for "4xOverland in the USA". I am not sure at what point (there are 13 videos in that plays list) he gets the GX, but he seems fairly confident in his remarks about the GX, and given his experience in Africa I have no reason not to trust his opinion on the matter. I have been following his YouTube channel for a while now.

[edit]
I will say that Toyota is an expensive brand. Yes, there is truly massive aftermarket support in the overland community, and off-road in general for just about Toyota you can think of. That is also part of the problem. Retailers know what they can charge and people will still pay it. Part of the reason I put my 2013 Tacoma up for sale this week. The money can be better spent on another brand and the money saved can be used for more trips. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tacoma, I just don't like the total cost of ownership. One 30,000 miles service can break $700 if done at a dealership.
[/edit]

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

@felixkb76, remember that it's all about the journey, not necessarily what is taking you on the journey. Maxfederle89 hit the nail on the head with the "not having to spend a lot of money." statement.

If we all waited for that perfect vehicle, we'd probably never leave our couches...
Exactly lots of older trucks and suvs that are well maintained will do fine with some good off road tires. I have 2003 Suburban with 120k I bought new. Really only used for family trips and didn't tow much. I was going to sell but decided to keep and use for this hobby. Reason I bring up is most people who buy trucks and suvs don't fully abuse/use them....lol so you should find some cream puffs out there.

Also sounds like space might be a concern so why not a full-sized SUV? If staying Toyota a first gen Sequoia 2000-2007? First gen Armada or even a GMT800 2003-2006 Chevy Suburban Z71 with factory G80 locker will take you alot off places. These all can be had for 10k and under.

Good luck keep us posted!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited: