Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I've owned my 99 LC for about 20 years and through the years its seen many different duties from family truckster, to hunting rig, to spare car, to dust catcher. Recently, I decided to make it a dedicated Overlander and stop trying to use my truck as a trail rig. Not that the Ford wasn't great, it just didn't make sense putting a $80k F250 into a OMG look at that dent situation.

We took it up the Cont. Divide trail this summer... and it was awesome. But, looking at it all.. it was insane and the F250's a compromise vehicle when you get down to it.

So.... I ordered a weld up back bumper kit, weld up slider kit, new front bumper, new radiator, new alternator and am starting to transfer the parts from the 250 that will transfer (aka lights, radios, winch, tools, fridge, fridge battery packs, etc) over to the LC.

I rhinolined the LC in 2013 and will refresh it after all the armor gets roughed it. will try to post pics along the build process.

spare car to dedicated Overlanding Rig.. during the pandemic. woot.

Reactions: ChapEJF and GLOCKer

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

20201227_174426.jpg20201227_174426.jpg20201227_174442.jpg20201227_174457.jpg

Started welding the rock slider kit today. one side roughed in.. the second about 50 percent.

next the rear bumper. knocking off the rust from years of not welding... not my best welds to start.. but its coming back... slowly.

Hopefully I'll be back to stacking dimes by the time I am starting the rear bumper. I might tack up the rear tire swing frame first.. but its a start.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

well... finally got the sliders roughed in and in primer. after 20 some-odd years of not welding. its finally starting to come back to me and my final welds were coming in as unevenly stacked dimes (that's all pace --- was listening to different music.. lol). after the rain / snow passes, I'll start the back bumper. but here's a few photos.20201229_130357.jpg20201229_150112.jpg20201229_150123.jpg

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

My plan is to rhino-line them with a heavy texture on top so I needed to knock a few of the welds down to get a smoother finish after texture. the bottoms of sliders will all have a thicker .. but smoother rhino coat. The LC it's self if rhino lined so.. it will tie together better. I HOPE.

Reactions: GLOCKer

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

70 degrees yesterday... 34 degrees and freezing rain today. guess saturday is suppose to be in the 60's again. working outdoors on cars in winter.. texas style. Make no definite plans... be flexible... and expect to sweat and freeze.

goodbye 2020.. and good riddance.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

company got hired to do an election viability analysis so we worked 24/7 for the last six days when the weather was nice. last night the weather turned to crap.. and today is the first day I have free. it's freezing, and my alternator went south. so I am on the computer ordering parts instead of welding, paint and body work. isn't renovation fun???

• Wow
Reactions: GLOCKer