Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Very sad news. I never got the chance to drive thru or visit Calaveras. I didn't think a storm could pull down an ancient sequoia! Just a reminder as overlanders and adventurers to get out and enjoy the world. Time is too short.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Damn it!!!

That was going to be one of my next things when I go back to CA!

So bummed I didn't see it last time!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I have drove by there 5 or 6 times in the last year and did not stop. It has been years since I have, now I wish I would have made the time.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

There is a lot of confusion out there about the tree that fell. You couldn't drive through this particular tree - you walk through it. There are several trees in California that you are able to drive through but this is not one of them.

As @pl626 mentioned, redwoods commonly fall over in storms. Their root systems are quite shallow and, as a result, during big storms they will fall and take out a bunch of other trees with them. Really sad event but it's also the lifecycle of the forest (except this one was weakened by man and wouldn't have fallen if we didn't carve a hole through it). It also makes you appreciate the ones that survive - many of the redwoods are over a thousand years old and they are incredible. When these trees fall they clear an opening in the canopy of the forest which allows other trees to flourish. If you look closely, sometimes you'll see a row of trees in a perfect line due to one of these massive redwoods falling and clearing out a path. Over time (we're talking 100+ years), the tree will decompose and create rich soil for a row of trees to take its place. If you pay attention, the forest will tell you its history.

PS - I'm not an expert, I just really love old growth redwoods. Even with this tree fallen, it'll still be a sight to see. In some ways, the fallen ones are impressive in their own unique way and gives you a different perspective.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

In the past people were allowed to drive through this tree, however it was closed to auto traffic about 40 years ago, this was done to protect this tree and the rest of the grove. My understanding is that this was the last tunneled Sequioa, the remaining trees with tunnels still standing are Redwoods. It is shame that these trees were damaged, however at the same time it was done to promote the trees and for people to come see them, which led to conservation.

Reactions: Saints&Sailors

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

There is a lot of confusion out there about the tree that fell. You couldn't drive through this particular tree - you walk through it. There are several trees in California that you are able to drive through but this is not one of them.

As @pl626 mentioned, redwoods commonly fall over in storms. Their root systems are quite shallow and, as a result, during big storms they will fall and take out a bunch of other trees with them. Really sad event but it's also the lifecycle of the forest (except this one was weakened by man and wouldn't have fallen if we didn't carve a hole through it). It also makes you appreciate the ones that survive - many of the redwoods are over a thousand years old and they are incredible. When these trees fall they clear an opening in the canopy of the forest which allows other trees to flourish. If you look closely, sometimes you'll see a row of trees in a perfect line due to one of these massive redwoods falling and clearing out a path. Over time (we're talking 100+ years), the tree will decompose and create rich soil for a row of trees to take its place. If you pay attention, the forest will tell you its history.

PS - I'm not an expert, I just really love old growth redwoods. Even with this tree fallen, it'll still be a sight to see. In some ways, the fallen ones are impressive in their own unique way and gives you a different perspective.
Yup, that is right @Saints&Sailors, this one was closed to vehicle traffic sometime ago. You are totally right though, nature's cycle begins again and it does give us a reminder to enjoy it while it's still there.

Reactions: Saints&Sailors