SEMA Announces Overland Experience at this year's SEMA Show

• HTML tutorial

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

A little earlier this evening SEMA announced it plans to dedicate an entire section of the show to overlanding. This is exciting news as we've recognized for years that overlanding and vehicle-based adventure travel is the fastest growing segment of the off-road industry. You can read the news release about this from the OutdoorX4 website in the link below. Post up your thoughts on this and let us know if there's something you'd like for us to capture while attending and participating in the event this November:

Reactions: MazeVX

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
14,000 sq ft if my math holds...based on looking at the Exhibitor map of the Performance Pavilion.

Funny that when I showed my rig in 2007 at SEMA with a Hannibal roof tent and awning no one had a clue.
Great to see the greater market awareness.

I am building a Transit Poptop 4wd for this years SEMA show that should hit the VanLife & Overland markets squarely.

Reactions: AlexAtWagan

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Waste of effort. Not open to the public. Go to the expo's, or forums, if you want your obscure product known.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Waste of effort. Not open to the public. Go to the expo's, or forums, if you want your obscure product known.
Interesting perspective...
SEMA is where all the retailers the "public" go to see what is new
SEMA is where lots of media folks go to show the "public" what is new
SEMA is only 4 days a year but has a huge impact year around from product development to builds to international manufacturers coming into the US market.
SEMA gets 70,000 to 150,000 folks depending on whose numbers you use....that is more than all the "expos" in the US combined. And since I have been doing Overland Expo West since the first one in 2007 I can truthfully say I have watched the US market develop.

Still interesting perspective you have and it would be good to hear more about why SEMA is a waste of effort.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I somewhat agree with @MidOH
I recognize SEMA for what it is but also consider it a "private" industry insiders event, not necessarily a public show. That being said the attendance is primarily industry related folks, not joe public.

The trickle down is rather slow to the common consumer and has become more of a car show than major industry advancements showcase. I've never attended inside the gates but based on what is available in print and tv I see it as a giant party and show for insiders. I do appreciate the work and effort put into builds but I believe it's lost the root direction, showcasing and marketing new and creative products, not building an unobtainable rig containing some small product your wishing to sell.

If your product isn't showcased by the media then your exposure is delegated to those who stop by your display, which is no where near the 150,000 attendees.

However ANY exposure is great.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I don't buy from your retailers.
I don't know a single gear head that reads that media.
I'll never waste a weekend going to SEMA ever again. Brodozers and bling. Rarely anything functional or practical.

I don't even know what you make. That's a problem.

Get your product into the hands of people that can actually use and test it. Trails and campgrounds are gold mines. Get to the Cleveland, Detroit, and chicago auto shows. (you'll need body armor for chicago, but if you didn't get mugged at expo west, you'll likely do fine)

The Louisville semi-truck show is a better example, if you want to see how to get your product known. Test drives, engineers, QC guys, are all there.

Cross pollinate your expo rig with dive gear. We camp to.

Last edited:

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I am hoping so. I have a huge list of gear I am looking for. I do not mind a great deal on slightly used whatsoever!