Self-supported Yellowstone adventure

• HTML tutorial
O

OtterJohn667

My wife and I go to Yellowstone every year, and spend a week hiking, sightseeing, eating frozen fudge bars, and just generally enjoying being disconnected. Our trip this year is planned for mid-August.

However, we're living in a very different world than in the past. We're still planning on staying at a cabin in West Yellowstone (no-contact with hotel staff or housekeeping), but we face a few challenges in the park itself:
1. Restroom breaks; I've been researching ad nauseam what to do about this. For personal reasons, neither of us is comfortable using any of the available facilities (due to the obvious high-touch surfaces and high-traffic of these areas). This is problem #1.
2. Avoiding people. We do a lot of back country hiking when we're there, and see few people while on those trails. But we're now looking at having to skip some of our favorite sights (Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, etc.) for the very obvious lack of space on the narrow boardwalks; this applies to narrow trails as well.

I've come up with a couple options, with varying degrees of insanity involved in each. A portable PETT-style toilet is on the way, so we can see if this is something we'd be comfortable using...right now, neither of us is thrilled with the idea of standing up a privacy shelter at a pullout to use the PETT. Another option is buying a 4WD Class-B RV, something we've considered before this anyway: this is the part where the insanity comes in to play.

For the trails, we have masks, and we can plan for hikes further afield, to avoid the majority of the "civilians" who are there just to get gored by buffalo.

Ultimately, the safest (and most depressing) option is not to go. We live in Oregon, and the idea of driving 14+ hours and crossing three state lines makes me nervous. I'm not worried about food, as we've got coolers and a camp stove, and I wouldn't mind having a 12V fridge for the future anyway (if that options makes sense in the long-run). Water also isn't an issue, as we're used to carrying that on our trips. The main issue (and frankly 90% of my concern) is the restroom situation.

Thoughts or suggestions from the experienced self-sufficient overlanders?

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
My wife and I go to Yellowstone every year, and spend a week hiking, sightseeing, eating frozen fudge bars, and just generally enjoying being disconnected. Our trip this year is planned for mid-August.

However, we're living in a very different world than in the past. We're still planning on staying at a cabin in West Yellowstone (no-contact with hotel staff or housekeeping), but we face a few challenges in the park itself:
1. Restroom breaks; I've been researching ad nauseam what to do about this. For personal reasons, neither of us is comfortable using any of the available facilities (due to the obvious high-touch surfaces and high-traffic of these areas). This is problem #1.
2. Avoiding people. We do a lot of back country hiking when we're there, and see few people while on those trails. But we're now looking at having to skip some of our favorite sights (Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, etc.) for the very obvious lack of space on the narrow boardwalks; this applies to narrow trails as well.

I've come up with a couple options, with varying degrees of insanity involved in each. A portable PETT-style toilet is on the way, so we can see if this is something we'd be comfortable using...right now, neither of us is thrilled with the idea of standing up a privacy shelter at a pullout to use the PETT. Another option is buying a 4WD Class-B RV, something we've considered before this anyway: this is the part where the insanity comes in to play.

For the trails, we have masks, and we can plan for hikes further afield, to avoid the majority of the "civilians" who are there just to get gored by buffalo.

Ultimately, the safest (and most depressing) option is not to go. We live in Oregon, and the idea of driving 14+ hours and crossing three state lines makes me nervous. I'm not worried about food, as we've got coolers and a camp stove, and I wouldn't mind having a 12V fridge for the future anyway (if that options makes sense in the long-run). Water also isn't an issue, as we're used to carrying that on our trips. The main issue (and frankly 90% of my concern) is the restroom situation.

I have the cleanwaste PETT. It's a quality product. My girlfriend uses it for potty breaks during the night when we're camping. I recently damaged my privacy shelter and tried to order a new one. I looked at 8 or more of them. They were all sold out/backorder. Couldn't get anything the same week. Good luck with your search. Nemo just resupplied with the Heliopolis, fyi.

Yellowstone is hard to pass up. I have never been. I will be in Colorado next week and I am still debating on making the trip up there.

I have traveled during the pandemic and my worries are not the restrooms. it's the gas stations. Just when you figure out what the social norms are at home we get out on the road and each state/county/city/park has a different ordinance. Then the locals have even more different viewpoints on masks and distancing. it's all exhausting trying to keep up with.

I'm not personally opposed to park restrooms in terms of sars-cov-2. We do carry our own t.p. and wipes into the restrooms everywhere we go. I wipe down handles and toilet seats. The small stuff sacks we carry also have sanitizer attached to them so that it's with us everywhere we go. Then hand washing any chance we get. Then skin moisturizer.

The privacy shelter and PETT have worked out well for us. An added benefit is using it as a shower. Pick up a Nemo Helio while you're at it.

Safe travels

KenDF

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Follette
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Working

Okay, first of all I am a truck driver who by necessity uses public restrooms two or three times a day. I spent four months on the road when all this started because I was concerned about taking the virus home. I am 60 years old in reasonable health and have come to a personal conclusion that if you take reasonable precautions you will be fine! Wash your hands, use sanitizer, carry a can of Lysol and spray the toilet seat if it makes you feel better. As for being outside it is the safest place to. The virus has a very short half-life in sunlight, just keep a safe distance from others. Be careful and let go of the fear. I hope you enjoy your trip.

morganwest95

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
West
Member #

Okay, first of all I am a truck driver who by necessity uses public restrooms two or three times a day. I spent four months on the road when all this started because I was concerned about taking the virus home. I am 60 years old in reasonable health and have come to a personal conclusion that if you take reasonable precautions you will be fine! Wash your hands, use sanitizer, carry a can of Lysol and spray the toilet seat if it makes you feel better. As for being outside it is the safest place to. The virus has a very short half-life in sunlight, just keep a safe distance from others. Be careful and let go of the fear. I hope you enjoy your trip.
Pretty much this. I actually went to Yellowstone at the end of June and had a pretty big drive up there, taking a detour to Sacramento to meet with the three friends I went with. We all kept our distance from people and washed/sanitized our hands, and none of us caught covid. And for what it's worth, the rangers were saying that the park is much less crowded than it usually is at that time. The major attractions were a bit crowded though, so if you or anybody you have frequent contact with is immunocompromised, I would definitely recommend skipping out on the popular stuff.

O

OtterJohn667

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated. We've been talking about our options, pros and cons, risks, etc. My wife is in the "high risk category", so we have to take our precautions to a higher level. The PETT came today, and it's a really great setup. We'll be taking it as a backup, but right now I think we're leaning towards choosing our restroom breaks carefully, and disinfecting the hell out of everything.

Still mulling over the details, but feeling a little better about things today.

Reactions: morganwest95

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Perfectly stated. Yep!

• Love
Reactions: old_man

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

As more and more research comes out, its not surfaces that are the big culprit, its air, as in air in enclosed rooms. Being outside is the best thing you can be doing if you are at all in a social situation. Having spent 2 months in Yellowstone in 2018, here is my advice:

Skip the tourist crap. The Old Faithful In is still going to be there next year. There is so much to see and places no one ever goes that you'd think you were completely alone in the park. The NE and E entrance areas are IMO the lightest trafficed. Change up your routine. Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, Mammoth, both Falls in the Canyon, Morning Glory, Steamboat, etc are all going to be there next year. GO do something easier. Drive Lamar and Hayden Valleys. Drive out to Cook City, Beartooth Hwy and Red Lodge. Putz around Yellowstone Lake. Hike Mount Washburn. DO stuff you haven't done before. Chances are you will find fewer people out away from the typical "tour-ons" by going where the buses aren't.

Reactions: DaleRF
O

OtterJohn667

As more and more research comes out, its not surfaces that are the big culprit, its air, as in air in enclosed rooms. Being outside is the best thing you can be doing if you are at all in a social situation. Having spent 2 months in Yellowstone in 2018, here is my advice:

Skip the tourist crap. The Old Faithful In is still going to be there next year. There is so much to see and places no one ever goes that you'd think you were completely alone in the park. The NE and E entrance areas are IMO the lightest trafficed. Change up your routine. Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, Mammoth, both Falls in the Canyon, Morning Glory, Steamboat, etc are all going to be there next year. GO do something easier. Drive Lamar and Hayden Valleys. Drive out to Cook City, Beartooth Hwy and Red Lodge. Putz around Yellowstone Lake. Hike Mount Washburn. DO stuff you haven't done before. Chances are you will find fewer people out away from the typical "tour-ons" by going where the buses aren't.
Yup, that's the plan. We have all of our maps and Gaia, and we've started our hike/excursion planning. My wife's been going to Yellowstone every year for 45 years, so we have plenty of experience and knowledge on our side. :) Looking at some backcountry hikes we haven't done before, and ordered her a new spotting scope for wildlife watching. Looking forward to the trip now. :)

Reactions: USStrongman

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)

Yep!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

ordered her a new spotting scope for wildlife watching. Looking forward to the trip now. :)
That was one of my favorite things, stopping and talking to people with spotting scopes. People are happy to share what they have found especially in Lamar and Hayden valleys. Wolves, bear, elk, large raptors in nests. Met some really nice people that way .

Reactions: DaleRF
O

OtterJohn667

That was one of my favorite things, stopping and talking to people with spotting scopes. People are happy to share what they have found especially in Lamar and Hayden valleys. Wolves, bear, elk, large raptors in nests. Met some really nice people that way .
Yup, Hayden and Lamar are two of our favorite spots to stop for long observations. Saw wolves hunting a herd of elk in a snow storm last year. :) I'm hoping for more "sit and just be" time this trip...historically we have a hard time with sitting still on vacation, we often tend to be always on the move. This whole situation is a good reminder to just sit back, enjoy nature, and revel int the moment.

Wolves from 2018 (about a mile off):
47BEBCDA-F78A-496B-A1DA-AA82DC84FD0E.jpeg

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Yup, Hayden and Lamar are two of our favorite spots to stop for long observations. Saw wolves hunting a herd of elk in a snow storm last year. :) I'm hoping for more "sit and just be" time this trip...historically we have a hard time with sitting still on vacation, we often tend to be always on the move. This whole situation is a good reminder to just sit back, enjoy nature, and revel int the moment.

Wolves from 2018 (about a mile off):
View attachment 163921
Nice!

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I know you said you bought the Pett toilet, but My family uses a small porta potty that fits in the back of our Jeep Wrangler. They are a little more contained than what you have and can be emptied into a pit toilet or regular toilet. you could use it in the back of your truck with the seats folded up. I have it for my wife and kids to use, when no other bathroom is available and more so now. We just bring it with us now. Just some food for thought.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Also I think we need to start flattening the fear here. Wear a N95 mask when close to people. Don't let them breathe on you. Don't touch them. Wash your hands before touching your face if you touch anything in public. I mean just practice common sense and live your life.

Reactions: Brett L. and DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Also I think we need to start flattening the fear here. Wear a N95 mask when close to people. Don't let them breathe on you. Don't touch them. Wash your hands before touching your face if you touch anything in public. I mean just practice common sense and live your life.
Yes!

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated. We've been talking about our options, pros and cons, risks, etc. My wife is in the "high risk category", so we have to take our precautions to a higher level. The PETT came today, and it's a really great setup. We'll be taking it as a backup, but right now I think we're leaning towards choosing our restroom breaks carefully, and disinfecting the hell out of everything.

Still mulling over the details, but feeling a little better about things today.
Did you take your trip yet? I spent 9 days on the road. We ran out of Cleanwaste bags at one point. REI in Santa Fe was out of stock so i called Cleanwaste direct and had them ship a new supply ahead of me into Durango. Worked out great.

O

OtterJohn667

Did you take your trip yet? I spent 9 days on the road. We ran out of Cleanwaste bags at one point. REI in Santa Fe was out of stock so i called Cleanwaste direct and had them ship a new supply ahead of me into Durango. Worked out great.
Heading out in a couple weeks; the PETT came with 12 bags, I ordered another 24 from REI. That should do us, since we're planning on using it only as a backup at this point.

Still working on overall logistics and planning, but I think I've got everything pretty well sorted. :)

Reactions: Wallygator
O

OtterJohn667

Well, the trip is a no-go...my mother-in-law, who was going to be watching our house and taking care of our cats while we were gone, fell and broke her hip last week. :( She was already taking care of her 90+ year old mother, so now those tasks and taking care of her have fallen (no pun intended) to us. I'm just glad she's up and moving (surgery the day after and a rod in her hip). We'll do Yellowstone next year.

Now I get to plan day trips for the days we already have off...because there's no way I'm giving those up! Time away from work is time well spent. ;)