Seeking help for quick camp spot in eastern Ouachita (Hot Springs area).

• HTML tutorial

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Ok, to preface this a bit. Since we've got our rig about where it's going to be for now, my wife and I were wanting to do something of a practice run next week. In short, drive in, set up camp, dinner, sleep, pack and go; a one night run just to get a feel for how quickly we can pitch and break camp. We wanted it to be "legit" overlanding this time rather than a public campground or the like. We were thinking of either Land Between the Lakes or Ouachita as they're about the closest things to Memphis (~3hrs to entrance in either case). I've scoped out a potential route/place at LBL, but am struggling when it comes to Ouachita (we like the idea of breaking camp in the morning and going to play in Hot Springs a bit). Part of it is this is the first time I'll be going off road with just us, and I'm not self-recovery equipped yet, so it needs to be relatively safe trails. I've been scouring MVUMs and Google and OnX (free 6 month premium, will probably end up going Gaia after), but am really not sure what areas provide a little challenge but easy enough that needing recovery risk is minimal, and unfortunately, I don't have time to drive out and explore/mark spots ahead of time.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spot that's not too far from an entrance near Hot Springs with a good camp area (ground tent btw)?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Ok, to preface this a bit. Since we've got our rig about where it's going to be for now, my wife and I were wanting to do something of a practice run next week. In short, drive in, set up camp, dinner, sleep, pack and go; a one night run just to get a feel for how quickly we can pitch and break camp. We wanted it to be "legit" overlanding this time rather than a public campground or the like. We were thinking of either Land Between the Lakes or Ouachita as they're about the closest things to Memphis (~3hrs to entrance in either case). I've scoped out a potential route/place at LBL, but am struggling when it comes to Ouachita (we like the idea of breaking camp in the morning and going to play in Hot Springs a bit). Part of it is this is the first time I'll be going off road with just us, and I'm not self-recovery equipped yet, so it needs to be relatively safe trails. I've been scouring MVUMs and Google and OnX (free 6 month premium, will probably end up going Gaia after), but am really not sure what areas provide a little challenge but easy enough that needing recovery risk is minimal, and unfortunately, I don't have time to drive out and explore/mark spots ahead of time.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spot that's not too far from an entrance near Hot Springs with a good camp area (ground tent btw)?
Lots of places it the Overland Bound One app too! Check out the map tab.

Attachments

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Land between the lakes bards lake campsite. Just an example. Haven’t been there!

Seems like lots of forest service roads. Anyone been on those roads?

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Lots of places it the Overland Bound One app too! Check out the map tab.
Admittedly, I didn’t think about OB1, but now I has questions. When I pull up the map, even with all the filters selected, I don’t see much. Does that mean everything you show flagged in the screenshots are locations you’ve saved, meaning I shouldn’t see them, or am I selecting something wrong?

jg45

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bartlett, TN
First Name
John
Last Name
Gilmer
Member #

There are several dispersed camping sites around Wildcat Mountain on FS-132. The Ouchitas are full of dispersed camping sites though, so I am sure you will find something.

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I realize my response may be too late, but if it is, hopefully it will at least be helpful at some point in the future. The OB is a good resource for finding campsites. I also recommend using the iOverlander app, which is free. Often times if there are a few campsites marked in a particular area on the OB map and/or iOverlander, there’s likely other campsites in that area that have not been marked on either app.

Unfortunately I can’t give specific insight into the Hot Springs area, as all my explorations of Ouachita NF has been farther west. Nonetheless, from my experiences I’ll say you’ll have no problem traveling on Ouachita NF trails as long as you’re smart about it.

I hope this helps in some way.