Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I am looking for a pair of basic handheld radios that will allow me and a guest (someone that doesn’t know a lot about radios!) to communicate while on the road/trail. While I know more power is better, most of what I see on Amazon doesn’t provide any power ratings. Since I have a PLB, emergencies are covered and I have no interest in getting a radio license. Can someone please provide some specific recs for a (non-licensed) radio that will do the following?

- Rechargeable
- Receives while charging
- Works for say 1 or 2 miles (well!)
- Decent battery life
- Preferably under $200 for a pair
- Easy to use by someone not familiar with radios
- Backlit or illuminated display for use at night

Have I over-constrained the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 94Cruiser

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I have 3 Baofeng UV5R handheld radios. They can be had for about $50 a piece

The frequency spectrum is wide enough to handle not only 2M and 70cm frequencies, but also NOAA as well as FRS and GMRS frequencies.... It includes a dual mode which allows you to monitor separate frequencies simultaneously....

It also includes the prerequisite FCC label.

It is relatively easy to use, it does have a backlit display, And I can monitor it while charging.

There are likely some legal complexities, however I reduce the power on transmission to be on par with the FRS which are unlicensed frequencies. It has a selectable power range between one and four watts.

Whenever camping with my family, my sons use the radios when they hike and it has fairly decent range.

I would definitely spring for the longer whip antenna that can be had for about $20 or less, and the USB cable which dramatically reduces the programming headaches... There are also adapters made that replace the battery and simply plug into the cigarette outlet.

I can't speak for any other handhelds because I've never used them. I can only speak to what I know, and these have been beneficial and valuable as well as a very kind price point.

Good luck and keep exploring!

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I don't know if the radios that Baofeng made after 2017 have that sticker... I would definitely ask for a photo showing under the battery where the label would be.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am looking for a pair of basic handheld radios that will allow me and a guest (someone that doesn’t know a lot about radios!) to communicate while on the road/trail. While I know more power is better, most of what I see on Amazon doesn’t provide any power ratings. Since I have a PLB, emergencies are covered and I have no interest in getting a radio license. Can someone please provide some specific recs for a (non-licensed) radio that will do the following?

- Rechargeable
- Receives while charging
- Works for say 1 or 2 miles (well!)
- Decent battery life
- Preferably under $200 for a pair
- Easy to use by someone not familiar with radios
- Backlit or illuminated display for use at night

Have I over-constrained the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have a GMRS license? If not, the. You’re out of luck on all counts… FMRS is limited to 2 watts max and is only good for about 1 mile max in perfect condition… GMRS hand held radios are in the 5-10w range and are probably what you are wanting, but they require a license.

I could give you specific radios to look at that meet all your requirements, but all require a license. The Baofeng mentioned above is illegal to use on FMRS/GMRS and MURS frequencies, and for a radio noob it is hard to set up. The best bang for the buck in your situation is to just go to Walmart and grab a couple of blister-pack radios.

Reactions: slomatt

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't know if the radios that Baofeng made after 2017 have that sticker... I would definitely ask for a photo showing under the battery where the label would be.
None of the Baofeng UV5R radios are FCC compliant. The GT-3 is FCC compliant for 2m/70cm but it’s also 2x the price of the UV5R.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I'm not a legal expert.... But this clearly says it complies with Part 90. But I'm also licensed so there is that caveat.

All that being said, it's really easy to get an amateur radio license and I'd rather use those frequencies than FRS or GMRS any day.

Good luck Tundra camper

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm not a legal expert.... But this clearly says it complies with Part 90. But I'm also licensed so there is that caveat.

All that being said, it's really easy to get an amateur radio license and I'd rather use those frequencies than FRS or GMRS any day.

Good luck Tundra camper
Yes, but if you go look up the UV5R on the FCC certification page, the UV5R isn’t listed… RIah (ARRL FCC leason ) goes into great death on this subject and explains in great detail how and why the UV5R isn’t legal on any band.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Do you have a GMRS license? If not, the. You’re out of luck on all counts… FMRS is limited to 2 watts max and is only good for about 1 mile max in perfect condition… GMRS hand held radios are in the 5-10w range and are probably what you are wanting, but they require a license.

I could give you specific radios to look at that meet all your requirements, but all require a license. The Baofeng mentioned above is illegal to use on FMRS/GMRS and MURS frequencies, and for a radio noob it is hard to set up. The best bang for the buck in your situation is to just go to Walmart and grab a couple of blister-pack radios.
I could always get a license. However, there is going to be a 99.5% chance that the guest or friend I take and give a radio to use WILL NOT have a license. So, I don’t see the point of me getting a licensed-unit if my guest can’t use it. Perhaps I should just go off reviews and buy a name-brand el-cheapo on Amazon. Oh, well.

Reactions: 94Cruiser

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I could always get a license. However, there is going to be a 99.5% chance that the guest or friend I take and give a radio to use WILL NOT have a license. So, I don’t see the point of me getting a licensed-unit if my guest can’t use it. Perhaps I should just go off reviews and buy a name-brand el-cheapo on Amazon. Oh, well.
That’s what I was trying to tell you, for what you are wanting only a 2 Watt cheap (or expensive) FRS radio will fit the bill… or talk your friends into getting licensed as well.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

My peers do that all the time. Just be responsible about it.

Very slim chance all of the overlanders here are licensed. Theres absolutely no chance that the CB hams are. (Like a Galaxy dx55)

Reactions: M Rose

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

UPDATED QUESTION: Is there a good GMRS+FRS radio that I can use as follows:

- Use on a GMRS channel when traveling with family (I didn’t realize family are all covered under one license)
- Use on an FRS channel legally when traveling with friends that don’t have a GMRS license

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ

- Use on a GMRS channel when traveling with family (I didn’t realize family are all covered under one license)
- Use on an FRS channel legally when traveling with friends that don’t have a GMRS license
As far as I know there aren't any radios currently being manufactured that are legal for both GMRS and FRS. Prior to the 2017 FCC changes they did make "dual service" radios. I don't know the status of those radios, or if it's legal to use them if you can find them. If I remember correctly, the existing dual-service radios were reclassified as either GMRS or FRS depending on the radio's capabilities.

GMRS actually uses the exact same 22 channels as FRS, so there aren't separate GMRS and FRS channels. The main differences between GMRS and FRS radios is that GMRS can use more power (up to 5 Watts for handheld), has 8 additional channels for transmitting to GMRS repeaters, allows changing the antenna, and requires the radio operator to obtain a license (there isn't a test, you just pay a fee and the license covers you and your family). FRS radios have a fixed antenna, lower power (up to 2 Watts), cannot transmit to repeaters, and the radio itself is licensed rather than the radio operator.

What this means is that you can use a GMRS radio and your unlicensed friend can use an FRS radio to talk to each other. Your friend just won't be able to transmit as far as you can.

Another alternative to consider is MURS. They have 5 channels, can support up to 2 Watts, you can change the antenna, and don't require a license. If I were you that would probably be the way to go. You get better range than FRS (especially with a better antenna than the "rubber duck" that most radios come with), but doesn't require a license. You can get a pair of Wouxun KG-805M radios for $200. Wouxun KG-805M MURS Two Way Radio

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Another alternative to consider is MURS. They have 5 channels, can support up to 2 Watts, you can change the antenna, and don't require a license. If I were you that would probably be the way to go. You get better range than FRS (especially with a better antenna than the "rubber duck" that most radios come with), but doesn't require a license. You can get a pair of Wouxun KG-805M radios for $200. Wouxun KG-805M MURS Two Way Radio
After watching the two videos and reading the reviews, the MURS may be the way to go. Seems to work well outdoors. Thanks for suggestion!

Reactions: GreyMatter

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
If you're willing to spend $149 per radio, you can't do better than the Wouxun KG-935G handheld. It is the most capable GMRS radio on the market. I waited several weeks for it, since they've got a waiting list. When it arrived, it changed my world. All the issues/constraints I had went out the window. I'm now on the waiting list for a Wouxun KG-1000G mobile radio.

Attachments

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran

Wouxun KG-935G <-- as good as it gets

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

As far as I know there aren't any radios currently being manufactured that are legal for both GMRS and FRS. Prior to the 2017 FCC changes they did make "dual service" radios. I don't know the status of those radios, or if it's legal to use them if you can find them. If I remember correctly, the existing dual-service radios were reclassified as either GMRS or FRS depending on the radio's capabilities.

GMRS actually uses the exact same 22 channels as FRS, so there aren't separate GMRS and FRS channels. The main differences between GMRS and FRS radios is that GMRS can use more power, has 8 additional channels for transmitting to GMRS repeaters, allows changing the antenna, and requires the radio operator to obtain a license (there isn't a test, you just pay a fee and the license covers you and your family). FRS radios have a fixed antenna, lower power (0.5 Watts), cannot transmit to repeaters, and the radio itself is licensed rather than the radio operator.
All GMRS radios transmit on FRS Frequencies. The difference between GMRS and FRS is the power levels… MURS sounds cool until you look at the peer limits of MURS- 0.1 to 0.2 watts max power output.

So legally if you want to run GMRS and FRS, all the decent GMRS radios have the ability to chose power output levels, so set the output to low power and its now a FRS radio. FRS radios (as far as I know) only come as hand held transceivers but they will talk to a GMRS radio even if the GMRS radio is set on high power.

Motorola, TYT, Kenwood, Icom, Yasue, Waxun, all make decent GMRS Radios.

NotaRubicon Productions is the laughing stock in the radio community, 90% of his content is incorrect or teaching illegal practices. The ARRL VMs are watching him closely…If you are looking for good GMRS content on YouTube, check out @kc5hwb Chanel HamRadio 2.0 or Josh’s channel HamRadio Crash Corse. ARRL section manager Ria is also getting into GMRS and has a couple of good videos in her channel called Ria’s Shack Ham Radio.

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
So legally if you want to run GMRS and FRS, all the decent GMRS radios have the ability to chose power output levels, so set the output to low power and its now a FRS radio. FRS radios (as far as I know)
That's wrong. If someone without a GMRS license uses a GMRS radio even with the output power set to low they're technically not doing so legally. The use case that OP is asking for is to be able to hand their unlicensed friend a radio and be able to talk with them. Muddying the waters with this advice doesn't help OP.

Reactions: donmontalvo

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's wrong. If someone without a GMRS license uses a GMRS radio even with the output power set to low they're technically not doing so legally. The use case that OP is asking for is to be able to hand their unlicensed friend a radio and be able to talk with them. Muddying the waters with this advice doesn't help OP.
I didn’t say the user of the GMRS radio was unlicensed… I said the unlicensed user was using an FRS radio in other words OP hands buddy his Walmart blister pack FRS radio while OP has his Midland MXT275 mounted in his rig.

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
I didn’t say the user of the GMRS radio was unlicensed… I said the unlicensed user was using an FRS radio
You said lowering the power makes the GMRS radio an FRS radio. If that were true you would be able to hand the radio to an unlicensed person. Turning down the power on a GMRS radio doesn't make it an FRS radio.

Reactions: donmontalvo